forum Musicians' Forum ›› broken big muff pi ›› new reply Post Reply
greg y.

to the willows!
3,910 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 14 2007 3:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
buddy of mine gave me a broken big muff pi for free.

three wires hanging out of where the battery cover should be. blue, black, red. i'm assuming i need one of those 9 volt battery connectors since these run off of those but i am not sure how to wire it and can't seem to find anything online. should be an easy, cheap fix but i just don't know how to wire it correctly. any ideas?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 14 2007 10:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
take pictures mannnnnn

probably need to score a new battery cover. blue is neg, red is positive, black is ground, if you can get a cover thing from anything taking a 9v im sure it can be fixed
greg y.
to the willows!
3,910 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 14 2007 2:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
pretty much what i figured. i'll just yank one out of one of my pedals that is running off my power supply. if that doesn't work i'll get some pics up for help beyond that.
greg y.
to the willows!
3,910 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 14 2007 4:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
upon looking in pretty much every pedal i own, there is only two wires to the 9 volt strap connector. red and black. i'm assuming the blue coming out of the big muff is some sort of ground...it has a little loop deal on the end of it. maybe if i just tape it to the inside of the pedal it will ground out correctly?

Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 14 2007 9:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You could opt to buy a power jack and drill out the case to mount it or throw in a new battery snap(or both).

I can't seem to find a gut shot of a Russian muff to see where the blue wire is attached.
greg y.
to the willows!
3,910 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 14 2007 10:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i put in a new battery snap. couldn't find a gut shot either and i was a bit reluctant to tear it apart.

i ended up taping the battery inside the the pedal, and taped the ground inside off to the side. works fine now.

i wouldn't mind if i could drill out the case and put a power jack in like you suggested but i don't know if i want to mess with that at this point. maybe in the future if i find myself using the pedal a lot. it was a freebie and i've played with the idea of picking one up...guess i'll see what happens. for now though i'm set.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 14 2007 11:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It shouldn't be too hard to pop one in there if you decide to do so.

If it's not already, it might be a good idea to mod it to be true bypass when you have it apart next, too.
greg y.
to the willows!
3,910 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
November 15 2007 12:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
is that easy to do? if it is i might as well do it all in one shot when i get around to it.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 15 2007 1:17 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
there definetly would be more to it then just throwing it in there, but as for it's difficulty, i'd say if you knew some electronics it would be fairly easy, but for just me or anyone, it would be something alien
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 15 2007 2:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you can use a soldering iron, it should be pretttttty simple. If it's a newer Russian muff RI, it will already be true bypass. An easy was to tell is if the switch has a blue plastic base and 9 lugs on it(what the wires are soldered to). It's really just a matter of checking what you're doing well while you do it.

I'm just a novice at this shit. I just take my time and double and triple check and things seem to go well.

After you wire that up, you can grab a piece of perfboard, some components, and wire up a pedal from scratch!

It's a ZVex Fuzz Factory clone.
FatBrad
Not Waving, Drowni
823 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 30 2007 10:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Oh wow. What's a side by side comparison of that clone to the Fuzz Factory? I want a FF so bad but they're soooooo fucking expensive.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 30 2007 10:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Never tried a real one. I can cop very similar tones to any clips I've heard, but the knobs need to be set slightly differently. I couldn't find the exact transistors ZVex uses, so I used something similar.
FatBrad
Not Waving, Drowni
823 Posts
34/M/NA

offline   (1)
November 30 2007 11:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That is so awesome. How much did that cost you, if you don't mind me asking?
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
33/M/PA

offline     (12)
December 1 2007 2:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I want to say $50ish with the enclosure, switch, jacks, and all.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
December 1 2007 11:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i wanted to get into building distortion pedals yet know nothing about it.

thewelfareline666
liz has a fat puss
8,269 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (14)
December 1 2007 11:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
easy fix, blue to chassis, red to posi terminal black to negative. NIck your work looks great who did the powdercoating on your stomp box or is that just a really nice paint job?
forum Musicians' Forum ›› broken big muff pi ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: broken big muff pi

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?