forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA general discussion thread ›› new reply Post Reply
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
February 9 2011 7:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
kenny florian moving to featherweight division
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 10 2011 10:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
so did Tyson Griffin.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 12 2011 2:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
with UFC 129 doing 55,000 tickets, Silva/St. Pierre is definitely going to be at Cowboys Stadium if it happens. Man, I don't feel like going to stupid Texas.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 13 2011 8:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Two photos I took from my phone last night at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Silva
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 13 2011 10:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So now with the exception of Pride, I've attended all the major fight organizations (UFC, IFL, EliteXC, Bellator, Strikeforce) and I can easily say that the UFC is still lightyears beyond the competition. With Strikeforce pulling in $30 million in profits last year, I can only imagine what the UFC did. UFC cards flow almost flawlessly in a live setting and the production level is leaps and bounds above the competition.

Last nights card was entertaining but in the sense that most live cards I've been too, no matter how bad on paper, were entertaining. There is nothing like experiencing the events live...well participating in them is better but that's a different argument.

With the exception of the one fighter from the Fight Factory, I didn't know a single fighter on the undercard. I'm sure most of you didn't see a single fight from them and if that's the case then Strikeforce saved you some viewing pain. I've seen fights at the amateur level that were more technical. The fights had their moments of excitement but nothing that overall impressed me and with the lack of knowledge of any of the fighters, I really didn't care about any of them.

The main card, which was built like a boxing event (ie. too top heavy), started out with a completely irrelevant fight. The Valentin Overeem/Ray Sefo fight was to serve as an alternate bout to the tournament. Sefo, while a great kickboxer, is 40 years old and has no ground game. He really has no business being in MMA this late in his combat sports career. Overeem won with the white belts worst nightmare, a neck crank. LOL.

The next fight was fun to watch but the sloppiest display of fighting I've seen not in a bar. If Griggs gets selected as an alternate he's going to be massacred in 30 seconds by whoever he fights.

The Johnson/Del Rosario fight was the only fight prior to the two main fights that held any sort of weight. Both Johnson and Del Rosario are up and coming prospects for Strikeforce and this would have been an awesome main event for a Challengers card. The idea that either of these guys could potentially be thrown in as an alternate though is way too much of a jump in competition for them at this stage of their career. They still need to win a few more fights.

I don't really need to talk too much about the main fights. You saw what happened. Both fights ended in upsets. Should Fedor and Arlovski retire? Arlovski, definitely. Fedor, maybe. Fedor seems to lack the drive to fight anymore. I think this tournament would have been his last hoorah. If he won, he could have walked away on a super high note and would have probably solidified himself as the Greatest Heavyweight Of All-Time...even a notorious hater would have a hard time arguing it. However, getting subbed in under a minute and then getting brutalized the next fight out completely killed his aura. If he had come back and smoked Silva like everyone thought, the Werdum fight would have been a fluke. Now...not so much.

Where does he go from here? He has two interesting fights to compete in. The loser of the Werdum/Overeem fight or if Josh Barnett loses to Brett Rogers. Outside of that he has no one worth fighting in Strikeforce that wouldn't be locked up in the tournament for the rest of the year. If his head isn't in it though anymore, like it seems from his interviews, he should just hang up the gloves now. Because losing 3 in a row is detrimental to anyones career, Fedor or not.
firebikesmullets
©
1,387 Posts
34/M/TX

offline   (3)
February 13 2011 12:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i was entertained for sure. bigfoot silva had a great game plan and dominated fedor on the ground. kharitonov is a brute.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 13 2011 12:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think it would be a total pisser if Sergei, the darkhorse, won the whole thing.
Kev_in
One falls off
4,586 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (6)
February 13 2011 1:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm a big fan of fedor but I'm not going to sugar coat anything. He got handled pretty easily in the 2nd and if it would have went to the 3rd I think it would have been more of the same. As far as retirement goes I don't think it's a matter of weather or not he can still win, I just think he doesn't have much ambition to fight anymore.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 13 2011 2:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've been reading all sorts of comments about how the stoppage was bullshit and he definitely would have won in the 3rd round. These people are delusional.

His eye was swollen shut. They tried to pry it open to check on the eye itself and they couldn't. His depth perception would have been total shit so one of his greatest traits in reaction timing would have been lost completely. Unless he landed a Hail Mary overhand he would have been handled for another round, possibly stopped midway through. Props to Silva for stepping up and putting a great gameplan together. I'm a notorious Fedor hater and didn't think Silva had a snowballs chance.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,886 Posts
35/M/MD

offline     (11)
February 13 2011 2:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've thought silva could beat fedor for a couple of years

there was some article in one of the first MMA magazines i subscribed to that had him as one of the 5 guys who could beat him and i've been convinced since then.....i'm pretty sure he is the only guy from that list who has gotten a chance at him though....i remember Couture and Lesnar were on it, but at that time Lesnar only had one fight
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
February 13 2011 2:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Lesnar has two big holes in his game that wouldn't let me bet in his favor. He doesn't like to be hit and his submission defense is suspect. But his general plan of attack would put Fedor at the greatest disadvantage. Having someone of Lesnar's size and strength on top of you is never a good thing.

I used to want the Couture/Fedor fight to happen so bad. I would have flown to Antarctica to see it live but even now with both of them having declined from their prime, I think Fedor would beat Couture pretty easy. Mostly due to the fact that Couture's chin isn't what it used to be. Fedor still looked solid standing yesterday.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,886 Posts
35/M/MD

offline     (11)
February 13 2011 2:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh i don't think either of them would beat him....i was just giving a reference for how many years ago it was that i read the article
ass nipples
old dancing boy
39,411 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (7)
February 13 2011 2:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fedor Emelianenko suspended 90 days by NJ State Athletic Control Board due to eye and facial injuries.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (8)
February 14 2011 4:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
what do you mean "probably solidified himself as the greatest HW of all time?"

who else is in the running? big nog? you'd be crazy to place nog over fedor. CC is third, but he has been beaten by both.

fedor stopped fighting like an MMA artist, in addition to father time catching up to him. he is and has always been a speed based/reflex fighter, and its amazing that after all the hard years of training in judo/sambo/MMA, he didnt lose his touch earlier.

i dont think they should have stopped it. kos' eye was worse, and so was margarito's. fedor is fedor, and you cant count him out of any fight. he was simply too wild and sloppy, and resembled modern day wanderlei than he did fedor.
VVes 570
m.t.f.u.
25,328 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (17)
February 17 2011 1:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It makes me sad to watch Fedor go down like that.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA general discussion thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: MMA general discussion thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?