forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA general discussion thread ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
July 19 2011 2:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Overeem is out of the Heavyweight GP.

Strikeforce has made Sept 10th the next date for the GP and Overeem stated that he never agreed to fight on that card. He stated he was threatened by Zuffa for it. Dana White said that they had to come up with a date to move forward with the tournament and unfortunately Overeem has a nagging injury that prevents him from participating. He went on to state "this is why we have alternates in a tournament". So Daniel Cormier gets the bump to face Antonio Silva in the Semi-Finals.

I think it makes sense. Pride never just waited around for one fighter to be ready to compete. They set their date and you were either apart of it or not. Overeem seems to be doing some leveraging on a contract with Strikeforce/Zuffa and I think it may have backfired on him this time. I am almost willing to bet that the winner of this tournament gets an immediate shot at the UFC Champ. This would have been big for Overeem to win.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
August 3 2011 12:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
is it me or does sherdog only have advertisements anymore. it seems like there are no good articles or seemingly any news.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
August 4 2011 11:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Fedor cut from Strikeforce.

click here for link
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 5 2011 9:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Captain Ahab

is it me or does sherdog only have advertisements anymore. it seems like there are no good articles or seemingly any news.

I haven't looked at sherdog in months and it's been probably a year since my last post in the forums.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 5 2011 9:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Dan Conner

Fedor cut from Strikeforce.

click here for link

So was pretty much all of Golden Glory.

The Fedor thing is understandable. 3 stoppage losses in a row. People have been cut by Zuffa for less. Plus the fact that the major contract wasn't with Strikeforce but Showtime and all the Zuffa vs. M-1 negotiations (or lack thereof) didn't help his case. With 1 fight left on the contract they would want to lock him up for atleast 3 more, which is normal practice, but I doubt Zuffa wanted to go to the table with his managers again. Especially after 3 losses.

The Golden Glory thing seems to stem from how the team gets paid. They want Golden Glory to be paid after the fight and they will pay their fighters. This goes against the way pretty much every promotion in the US works.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
August 15 2011 10:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
last nights card was solid across the board!

sad lytle retired. i was really surprised henderson took it to miller so "easily". nice win for cowboy as well.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 15 2011 11:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
RIP Shawn Tompkins.

Sincerely one of the nicest guys I've ever had the chance to meet and train with. The sport itself lost a great coach and ambassador of the sport. You could tell he had a true love for it. 37 years old is too fucking young.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
August 18 2011 7:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
UFC on fox. . . .
not jeremememy, the television channel.

click here for link
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
August 27 2011 4:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Anyone see MMA Live last night? Chael Sonnen was a co-host.

There were some golden statements thrown out there.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (20)
August 27 2011 11:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nah but I see there are talks about the 2nd Fox event to be headlined by Lesnar vs Overeem. Atleast that's what Dana and Lorenzo are going to try to make happen
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
August 29 2011 8:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Nah but I see there are talks about the 2nd Fox event to be headlined by Lesnar vs Overeem. Atleast that's what Dana and Lorenzo are going to try to make happen

Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
September 7 2011 8:09 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
September 9 2011 7:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
big fight this weekend. thoughts, opinions, questions?

stoked to see barnett win this and then fight cain.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,885 Posts
35/M/MD

offline     (11)
September 9 2011 7:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
still doubtful barnett will actually end up in the UFC despite the seemingly inevitable situation
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
September 9 2011 7:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah probably. id be pretty silly of zuffa to not wrap up a top five heavyweight thought. i know they have a rocky past but cut him if he fail a test or is a dick. i wanna see him against cain, brock, and jds
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA general discussion thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: MMA general discussion thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?