lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 6 2006 11:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:nick danger

Originally posted by: XPastorLiamX

here is a thought. air pollution sucks global warming or no. soooo, lets stop air pollution. word.

Saddam Hussein sucked WMDs and terrorist connections or no. soooo, lets stop him ...

dumb.
nick danger
sexual predator
19,317 Posts
33/M/AZ

offline   (7)
December 6 2006 2:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: lord sauron

here is a thought. air pollution sucks global warming or no. soooo, lets stop air pollution. word.

Saddam Hussein sucked WMDs and terrorist connections or no. soooo, lets stop him ...

dumb.

eloquent
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 6 2006 3:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

dumb.

eloquent

copout.
nick danger
sexual predator
19,317 Posts
33/M/AZ

offline   (7)
December 6 2006 9:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

dumb.

eloquent

copout.

I won't respond until you tell me how what I said was dumb. Read it a few times first and try to comprehend what I said beforehand, I would suggest.
nick danger
sexual predator
19,317 Posts
33/M/AZ

offline   (7)
December 6 2006 9:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: tommynorcal

dictators in africa were worse than saddam. north korea was more of a threat than saddam. osama bin laden wasnt anywhere near saddam. saddam was contained. saddam isnt a threat to our entire enviroment and has little to nothing to do with the subject at hand.

its cool though, whatever dillusions and irrelevant rhetoric get you through the day and to sleep at night so you dont have to admit the war you supported was wrong can suit you fine.

Are you guys fucking with me or what?
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 6 2006 11:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

dumb.

eloquent

copout.

I won't respond until you tell me how what I said was dumb. Read it a few times first and try to comprehend what I said beforehand, I would suggest.

cmon now. do you really think i cant comprehend what you said? i dont understand why saddam needs to be dragged into this. honestly. address the issue at hand.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (1)
December 7 2006 7:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: nick danger

The sacrifices made to take out Saddam (namely life of Iraqis, but also of our own troops) are incomparable to the sacrifices neccessary to stop air pollution (namely the superich becoming a bit less rich).
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (1)
December 7 2006 7:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Also, the risks of not acting are incomparable for reasons that I don't think need to be stated.
nick danger
sexual predator
19,317 Posts
33/M/AZ

offline   (7)
December 7 2006 8:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I chose the example because I thought we would all agree that it was fucking ridiculous. Apparently people thought I was trying to make an argument in support of the iraq war in a global warming thread.

Just because you think you're striving toward something positive no matter the truth doesn't make the truth any less important. That's the point.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (1)
December 7 2006 11:14 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, but I'd argue that the sacrifices and risks are so incomparable that the analogy isn't worth making. I see that people misunderstood it as you trying to justify the war, but I still think the analogy is pretty ridiculous.
nick danger
sexual predator
19,317 Posts
33/M/AZ

offline   (7)
December 7 2006 11:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
No, it's not. The truth about global warming is important no matter how you feel about it. Air pollution is bad, obviously, but to imply that the real level of threat that global warming poses is irrelevent is irrelevent for that reason is what's ridiculous.
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (1)
December 8 2006 6:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I don't think people are saying the truth is irrelavent, just that we may as well act anyway.

But when it comes down to it, the decision to act on a possibility should mainly rely on calculating the risks and sacrifices of if you are wrong (or right), weighed up against the possibility that the thing does happen and you haven't acted.

And I think to compare the sacrifices and risks of the Iraq war to acting on globalwarming/air pollution is just crazy.
all threads All Threads ›› So....... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: So.......

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?