all threads All Threads ›› i am legend ›› new reply Post Reply
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
January 4 2008 8:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
eventually i'll get around to writing my full review on this...maybe i'll do it in an hour or so.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
January 4 2008 10:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The Last Man On Earth...Is Not Alone

Lt. Col. Robert Neville has been living in New York City for the last 3 years with only one companion, his dog Samantha. Almost 4 years ago a deadly virus mutated and went airborne infecting 90% of the world's population, turning them into bloody thirsty creatures with almost no human personality qualities. Any remaining survivors were killed off by the "Darkseekers" during the nights when they would ravage the earth. Neville's only hope for survival is the cure he's been working on, with little success, in hopes to reverse the disease and save humanity.

Now before i begin my review for this film i have to be honest and say i really only saw this film to complain about it. I was such a fan of the book and judging soley from the trailers i formed the opinion that they were going to tarnish the novel completely. The brief synopsis of the plot from the book is the character is living alone in a world of Vampires (not people infected with a virus). During the day he hunts the vampires and at night he boards himself up in his house. Now there is alot more to the story than that but i suggest you read the book and enjoy it for yourself.

Onto the film. Going into this with an annoyed frame of mine i couldn't set my expectations any lower. So with that perspective going in, i was actually quite impressed with the film. Had this been called anything else and not considered an adaptation of the book, i probably would give this film an outstanding review. Will Smith had the task of taking on a role where he alone had to carry a film. At the same time, however, the director gave him just enough alone time for it to really work. Had the film not been full of flashbacks Smith may not have been able to support the film on his own. I, expected, a typical Will Smith performance but he stood his ground with a solid character and made me eat my shoe.

The creatures from the film were one of two large downfalls for this movie. It was quite clear that they were majority CG instead of going a more realistic route and just using makeup. I think they would have been more effective had they looked like something similar to the mutants in The Hills Have Eyes remake or even something as simple as the "infected" in 28 Days Later. The more realistic something looks the better. I can't complain more when i see something i should be seeing on my Xbox in a movie.

The other complaint, which is my biggest, is the death of the dog. By now everyone knows that his dog dies and it is an incredibly sad scene but is nowhere near as powerful as the scene in the book. In the book instead of the dog already being his pet, he spends a great deal of time to coax the animal into being his friend only to have it die about 10 pages later. When i completed that chapter of the book i had to put it down for a few days because the entire scene was so incredibly heartwrenching i had to take a breather.

Lastly the ending was changed from the book but i wasn't upset with the change. I felt that the ending they used for the film was justifiable for the plot was unraveling for this version of the story. I know alot of the diehard fans of the book and even the original film with Vincent Price, are having seizures of rage over the ending but i'm not one of those guys.

Overall, i give the film a B-. I would be more into the film had it not been based off the of the book. I think even changing the title of the film would have made me appreciate it alot more. Will Smith gave a great solo performance. A few details were not so pleasant to watch on screen but can be forgiven with the story, cinematrophy, and acting. If you enjoy the film, please read the book. You will be blown away, for i say its one of the top 10 Vampire novels of all time.
carlos danger
something
23,443 Posts
31/M/ME

offline   (1)
January 4 2008 10:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
it missed the mark for me. It was floating somewhere between an awesome horror movie, and a "feel good" story of humans triumphing over adversity, but it's didn't quite achieve either.
jen dobbs
Time Husk
5,515 Posts
38/F/PA

offline   (10)
January 4 2008 11:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Its on the list to see this weekend.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (4)
January 4 2008 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, it was nothing amazing...but i didn't feel like i'd been robbed of 2 hrs of my life after watching it. My only real complaint was the how cg'd the vampire/zombies looked.

Also, I'm assuming i'm not the only person who caught the giant Batman/Superman poster in times square? I doubt it's actually happening at the moment...but i wouldn't be surprised if they're putting some feelers out to see how interested people would be.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
January 4 2008 7:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:LastOnePicked

Yeah, it was nothing amazing...but i didn't feel like i'd been robbed of 2 hrs of my life after watching it. My only real complaint was the how cg'd the vampire/zombies looked.

Also, I'm assuming i'm not the only person who caught the giant Batman/Superman poster in times square? I doubt it's actually happening at the moment...but i wouldn't be surprised if they're putting some feelers out to see how interested people would be.

they also had signs for Teen Titans and The Green Latern.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
January 5 2008 7:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
there was no perticular reason they included them except that all the films were either in talks or are happening. Batman vs. Superman is not happening. Atleast its not coming out on 5/5/10 like it said in the film.
JaRAD
Da Thread Killa
9,070 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (28)
January 9 2008 3:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Total dogshit, it shouldn't have been called I Am Legend.

Three key things could've made it worth watching.

1. Instead of trying to find a cure in the movie, they should've stayed true and had him going around snuffing the vampires during the day like a total badass.

2. Some of the most dramatic parts in the book are the interactions between the main character and the vampires at night. How the female vampires would tempt him with sex since he's so lonely, and others would curse him.

3. Having him die at the end and having no survivors, but ofcourse it's a major Hollywood production so they had to make it a happy ending.

10 dollars down the toilet.

blackeyes
100%
47,277 Posts
33/M/AK

offline   (3)
January 9 2008 3:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
who put the mannequin in the street? the vampire guy?
JaRAD
Da Thread Killa
9,070 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (28)
January 9 2008 3:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: blackeyes

who put the mannequin in the street? the vampire guy?

Yeah, to lure him into the trap so they could go in the shade and fuck him up.
Empty Words
Shark Pit!
4,702 Posts
29/M/NA

offline   (8)
January 9 2008 8:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Kevin Hare

First half was good. Then the other people were introduced, the zombies were shown more, and it got all about god and sucked.

Brett Weir
im gay
45,344 Posts
35/M/NY

offline   (8)
January 10 2008 6:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:ACauseForConcern

Total dogshit, it shouldn't have been called I Am Legend.

Three key things could've made it worth watching.

1. Instead of trying to find a cure in the movie, they should've stayed true and had him going around snuffing the vampires during the day like a total badass.

2. Some of the most dramatic parts in the book are the interactions between the main character and the vampires at night. How the female vampires would tempt him with sex since he's so lonely, and others would curse him.

3. Having him die at the end and having no survivors, but ofcourse it's a major Hollywood production so they had to make it a happy ending.

10 dollars down the toilet.

yeah and did they even get into the part about HIM being the monster?

whatever, you said it for me. DOGSHIT.
all threads All Threads ›› i am legend ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: i am legend

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band