all threads All Threads ›› Backed ›› new reply Post Reply
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
54/M/NA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 4:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:tryandchangeme

I fail to understand how a holstered pistol concealed on somebody's person would cause any harm while being on your property. It seems you have an irrational fear of guns. Have you ever handled or been taught how to use a firearm?

Originally posted by: $$$ ERIK $$$

Yeah, I mean every state has their ups and downs when it comes to laws. Sometimes the laws are like that for a reason but for the most part it makes no sense. Although I think there should be some rules in place for purchasing guns, I do believe that making someone jump through a bunch of hoops to get one is a little crazy. I think that a background check should really be the only requirement. As long as the person hasn't been to jail for a violent crime, then they should be able to get one.

Regardless, no matter what the laws are, it's not going to stop people from getting them illegally.

I'm happy there are other people out there that realize this

for someone who enjoys freedoms, you should understand that sidney's freedom to not have guns on his property trumps any right you have to carry one.

i wouldn't let you or anyone else step one inch onto my property with a gun, either.

on a separate note and just for the sake of argument, while i am all for people's right to own firearms, i think there is a bit of gap in the logic that making guns illegal wouldn't change a single thing. in fact, it would mean that any gun not owned by the police or military is illegal, probably allowing regulators to focus on a much smaller supply and allowing them to find the suppliers faster, etc.

would people still be able to get them? yes, probably, but juvenile rhetoric like "if guns are outlaws, only outlaws will have guns" don't cut the mustard. it's a lot more complex than that.

$$$ ERIK $$$
Time Husk
7,868 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline   (7)
September 2 2009 5:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, if I purchased a gun and had kids I'd definitely keep it away from them. I'd have it hidden, locked and unloaded at all times. Or I'd rent a locker at the local shooting range and keep it there. Children get into everything and regardless of what they're taught, it's a risk that I personally wouldn't ever want to take.
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: adam.

I fail to understand how a holstered pistol concealed on somebody's person would cause any harm while being on your property. It seems you have an irrational fear of guns. Have you ever handled or been taught how to use a firearm?

Yeah, I mean every state has their ups and downs when it comes to laws. Sometimes the laws are like that for a reason but for the most part it makes no sense. Although I think there should be some rules in place for purchasing guns, I do believe that making someone jump through a bunch of hoops to get one is a little crazy. I think that a background check should really be the only requirement. As long as the person hasn't been to jail for a violent crime, then they should be able to get one.

Regardless, no matter what the laws are, it's not going to stop people from getting them illegally.

for someone who enjoys freedoms, you should understand that sidney's freedom to not have guns on his property trumps any right you have to carry one.

i wouldn't let you or anyone else step one inch onto my property with a gun, either.

on a separate note and just for the sake of argument, while i am all for people's right to own firearms, i think there is a bit of gap in the logic that making guns illegal wouldn't change a single thing. in fact, it would mean that any gun not owned by the police or military is illegal, probably allowing regulators to focus on a much smaller supply and allowing them to find the suppliers faster, etc.

would people still be able to get them? yes, probably, but juvenile rhetoric like "if guns are outlaws, only outlaws will have guns" don't cut the mustard. it's a lot more complex than that.

In the conversation I referred to it was discussed that I had no problem with him telling anyone to leave his property. His property, his rules, doesn't bother me at all. I just don't agree with his rules regarding firearms.

What are they focusing more on now instead of finding the people that are illegally owning/carrying guns? Regulators are not focusing on people that legally own and carry firearms...because they're doing it legally. And if they are focusing on legally obtained firearms then they shouldn't be.

It's not more complex than "if guns are outlaws, only outlaws will have guns" either. It's fact. Only criminals would carry them and they would do so knowing that almost nobody would have have one to defend themselves. The term shooting fish in a barrel come to mind.

Guns are a great equalizer. They let 1 man defend himself against a group and they let a 110lb female defend herself from a 200lb rapist.
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Yeah, if I purchased a gun and had kids I'd definitely keep it away from them. I'd have it hidden, locked and unloaded at all times. Or I'd rent a locker at the local shooting range and keep it there. Children get into everything and regardless of what they're taught, it's a risk that I personally wouldn't ever want to take.

As a responsible parent should. An unloaded, or even loaded, locked up gun isn't going to hurt anybody.
Tim E. Husk
slavar som djur
19,110 Posts
54/M/NA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"What are they focusing more on now instead of finding the people that are illegally owning/carrying guns? Regulators are not focusing on people that legally own and carry firearms...because they're doing it legally. And if they are focusing on legally obtained firearms then they shouldn't be."

i assume that every state has a regulatory body responsible for overseeing gun policies and registration within the state, or else anyone could flout the registration laws. if that isn't true, then i guess it wouldn't make a difference.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: adam.

In the conversation I referred to it was discussed that I had no problem with him telling anyone to leave his property. His property, his rules, doesn't bother me at all. I just don't agree with his rules regarding firearms.

What are they focusing more on now instead of finding the people that are illegally owning/carrying guns? Regulators are not focusing on people that legally own and carry firearms...because they're doing it legally. And if they are focusing on legally obtained firearms then they shouldn't be.

It's not more complex than "if guns are outlaws, only outlaws will have guns" either. It's fact. Only criminals would carry them and they would do so knowing that almost nobody would have have one to defend themselves. The term shooting fish in a barrel come to mind.

Guns are a great equalizer. They let 1 man defend himself against a group and they let a 110lb female defend herself from a 200lb rapist.

you say "his property, his rules doesn't bother me at all"

but then say "i don't agree with his rules regarding fire arms"

so which is it???? and what are my "other" rules regarding fire arms?
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It doesn't bother me at all that you have the freedom to tell me to leave, that's what doesn't bother me.

You're reaching.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

As a responsible parent should. An unloaded, or even loaded, locked up gun isn't going to hurt anybody.

by themselves no they will not....but if that kid gets those guns and bullets together they could.....again that is something i would worry about....maybe you would not....again that is fine.

i use to go thru ALL my parents shit back in the day and i usually found one way or another into things....got the key or whatever....it is that kind of stuff that scares me
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

It doesn't bother me at all that you have the freedom to tell me to leave, that's what doesn't bother me.

You're reaching.

then i guess i'm having a hard time understanding what my rules are that you do not agree with.

Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'd say it's painfully obvious what rules of your's I don't agree with.
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

by themselves no they will not....but if that kid gets those guns and bullets together they could.....again that is something i would worry about....maybe you would not....again that is fine.

i use to go thru ALL my parents shit back in the day and i usually found one way or another into things....got the key or whatever....it is that kind of stuff that scares me

Yes, and if your kid got out of the house and wandered into the road he could be killed. It would be your responsibility as a parent to make sure he can't get his hands on it. There are tons of ways to do it.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
so.....just the fact that you have a gun and me asking you to leave is what is upsetting to you?

sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 2 2009 5:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: sidney

Yes, and if your kid got out of the house and wandered into the road he could be killed. It would be your responsibility as a parent to make sure he can't get his hands on it. There are tons of ways to do it.

lol...wow bad example.
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
34/M/PA

offline   (4)
September 2 2009 5:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Not upset, annoyed. But yes, I don't agree with you making that "rule" for your property although I do respect your right to do so.
all threads All Threads ›› Backed ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Backed

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?