all threads All Threads ›› The start of my Boccuto feud... ›› new reply Post Reply
Barabbas

The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
June 1 2006 12:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
...according to Boccuto. Just another thread for me tho.

I haven't followed UFC in seven or eight years but I watched the PPV Saturday night. I honestly was disappointed. Everything that made the UFC exciting ten or twelve years ago is gone. It went from an audacious outlaw event to a star studded spectacular reminiscent of the Oscars. The participants used to be scared... brave, but scared. People knew very little about their opponent or their style of fighting back in the old days. The only positive thing I saw in the whole thing Saturday was the implementation of the time limit, although, I didn't care for the rounds. Why do they need a break? Just fucking fight. Also, I noticed they have UFC on cable now and are up to UFC 60, I guess that means they are having up to 15 major events per year? Too much.

I never critique anything without trying to find a solution and implement it. I was sitting in a chair late last night and was thinking about UFC. Here is what I came up with for a new fighting circuit. I think these will all contribute to bring back a better no holds barred fighting event.

Time limits are set at three minutes for the entire match.

No rounds.

Random opponents drawn immediately before fight time.

Exotic unknown opponents / exotic fighting styles from far away lands.

The referee has a cattle prod or bamboo stick to use at liberty to break up stale mates.

Anything goes.

Blood tests to check for infectious disease to allow for no blood stoppages.

Shoes allowed.

Large gap in fight purses for winners and losers.

Potential strict penalties for match losers.

4 events per year.

They are: Spacecade, Battle Games, The Bash at the Shore and Halloween Hysteria.

Oh and weight classes. How can I forget? That is the biggest load of shit. It will be open.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 1 2006 1:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
having different styles, weight classes, round limits, titles, and knowing your opponent weeks/months before the event makes it a sport instead of just two assholes beating eachother up.

shoes are allowed if you don't plan on kicking at all. In Pride you can wear shoes and kick if you chose but they must be approved shoes (most likely wrestling shoes with a soft sole).

i do agree with the large gap in fight purses for winners and losers. instead of a pre-determined fight wage. This way they will fight that much harder for their pay.

Blood Tests are already done for diseases and steroids. Stopping due to blood is necessary sometimes for fighter safety. You can't have a guy letting a pool of blood seep into his eye from a huge gash in his eyebrow.

The cattle prod would make for interesting breaks. Pride fines people for stalling.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
June 1 2006 1:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
they implemented a lot of the rules in order to be able to have the fights in the states didnt they? i remember senators and what not bitching and trying to get them banned from their states because it was too barbaric with original format
savedbygrace
Floating Boy Media
5,281 Posts
44/M/PA

offline   (18)
I like UFC still, it is alot less brawling now then in the past but as a sport it is fun to watch. It isn't the same but that will happen, I can live with it.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
the cattle prod would rule
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 1 2006 1:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Senator McCain is the dickeater that tried to ban the sport completely. At first there was no set rules and regulations so they could have technically had it anywhere. Once McCain opened his mouth practically every state started to ban it. Then states like Nevada and New Jersey stepped up and started hosting events. But the State Athletic Commission had set rules to which the UFC had to conform too.

Slowly but shortly more and more states have lifted their ban on the sport. Now Nevada, New Jersey, California, Ohio, Hawaii, New Mexico, Florida, Oregon, Iowa, Colorado, Texas, Connecticut, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Indiana, and Washington all allow MMA events in their state.

Missouri allows amatuer MMA events but pro is still banned.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
42/M/PA

offline   (4)
June 1 2006 1:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"Pride fines people for stalling."

My absolute favorite thing about Pride.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 1 2006 1:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i like that they do it but they fined Rampage during his fight with Wanderlai but then later said it was the fight of the year "non stop action"..i think they abuse it to save some of their fighters...if they are in trouble they'll pull out the yellow card and give the losing fighter a break...
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
June 1 2006 1:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
When football started, they didn't wear pads.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 1 2006 1:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
and UFC didn't use any protection either. Fighters had the option of a cup and mouthpiece.

Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
June 1 2006 1:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
my point was, things change, dude needs to get over it.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 1 2006 1:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
exactly...i think the sport of MMA is better off now with rules and regulations. It makes it a legit sport. Its also more interesting in my opinion. Sure watching two drunks beat the piss out of eachother at a bar is hilarious and entertaining but gets old rather quick. With MMA you have to pick your opponent apart or be slick enough to apply a submission. You don't just always swing for the fences and hope to decapitate your opponent with one lucky punch.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
June 1 2006 2:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Joe Boccuto

my point was, things change, dude needs to get over it.

sure things change but not always for the better. if you like spending your money on a PPV to see mediocre fights and 25 different camera pans to Paris Hilton's stupid fucking mug then that is your thing. i am going to take a proactive approach and start something new. i assume when there is something you dislike you just say "oh well", pack your bowl and do nothing. That's not me.

I am proposing to form another fighting circuit that caters more to fighting, uncertainty and violence the things that attracted people to the UFC in the first place. I posted this to include Wren if he does infact want to be a part of the formation process.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
43/M/NJ

offline   (5)
June 1 2006 2:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I like the old format.

do they still have toughman competitions?

those rule

find the two biggest assholes in your town and then let them swing away.
dan the jew
drop a hard J
17,175 Posts
39/M/CA

offline   (4)
June 1 2006 2:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

the cattle prod would rule

Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,226 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
June 1 2006 2:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:yantastic

I like the old format.

do they still have toughman competitions?

those rule

find the two biggest assholes in your town and then let them swing away.

they used to televise them on FX, but for some reason they stopped. those were always mullet fests
all threads All Threads ›› The start of my Boccuto feud... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: The start of my Boccuto feud...

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?