forum Politics and Society ›› Exxon behind fake jibjab film about Gore ›› new reply Post Reply
Consider Me Dead

LaughingOnTheInsid
451 Posts
12/M/NV

August 6 2006 11:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Al Gore YouTube Spoof Not So Amateurish
Republican PR Firm Said to Be Behind 'An Inconvenient Spoof'

(Aug. 5) -- A tiny little movie making fun of Al Gore, supposedly made by an amateur filmmaker, recently appeared on the popular Web site YouTube.com.

At first blush, "An Inconvenient Spoof" seemed like a scrappy little homemade film poking fun at Gore and his anti-global warming crusade.

In the movie, Gore is seen boring an army of penguins with his lecture and blaming global warming for everything, including Lindsay Lohan's thinness.

But when the Wall Street Journal tried to find the guy who posted this film - listed on YouTube as a 29-year-old - they found the movie didn't come from an amateur working out of his basement.

The film actually came from a slick Republican public relations firm called DCI, which just happens to have oil giant Exxon as a client.

Exxon denies knowing anything about the film, and DCI says, "We do not disclose the names of our clients, nor do we discuss the work we do on behalf of our clients."

Media ethicists say that if DCI is behind "An Inconvenient Spoof," they should fess up.

"Without the disclosure, it's really ethically questionable," said Diane Farsetta, a senior researcher at the Center for Media and Democracy.

Another question is why would this movie be done in a seemingly unprofessional way, to be shown alongside YouTube's mostly amateur videos, which feature lip-synching, odd performances and funny satires?

"They want it to look like this came from someone who really believes this, who is really critical of Al Gore and global warming," Farsetta said.

Ana Marie Cox, the Washington editor of Time.com, said Americans have come to distrust the mainstream media.

"They're more likely to believe something that comes straight from the horse's mouth," Cox said.

Public relations firms have long used computer technology to create bogus grassroots campaigns, which are called "Astroturf."

Now these firms are being hired to push illusions on the Internet to create the false impression of real people blogging, e-mailing and making films.

"People will become more savvy, and then the people who are making the fake videos will become more savvy about how to cover it up," Cox said.

So next time you're reading something on the Internet from a "real person" pushing a movie or defending an actor's alcohol-fueled rant - be wary. That real person might actually be a hired gun, selling you an idea through deception.

click here for link
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

online   (9)
August 6 2006 12:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"Exxon denies knowing anything about the film, and DCI says, "We do not disclose the names of our clients, nor do we discuss the work we do on behalf of our clients."

No... we just lie about the origin of what turns out to be our work.

"Another question is why would this movie be done in a seemingly unprofessional way, to be shown alongside YouTube's mostly amateur videos, which feature lip-synching, odd performances and funny satires?"

Easy. They don't want it to be detected as the work of an ad firm or as the corporate political propaganda that it is.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 12:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
or they were trying to get as close as possible to the quality of the movie they were making fun of, just a thought.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

online   (9)
August 6 2006 12:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^Have you even seen Gore's movie? Just a thought.
coastal elite
hates chicken.
15,889 Posts
30/F/DC

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 12:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You think the quality of An Inconvenient Truth is unprofessional and amateur? Did you even see it? It is very skillfully put together.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 1:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yes I made a joke about a movie without having seen it first, and on the internet no less. steven spielberg could have shot the movie in ang lee's ass for all i care, its still substanceless, politcally driven science.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 1:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
and if it matters ive skimmed through the book.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

online   (9)
August 6 2006 2:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:thevengenceaz

Yes I made a joke about a movie without having seen it first, and on the internet no less. steven spielberg could have shot the movie in ang lee's ass for all i care, its still substanceless, politcally driven science.

He says without having seen the movie.. and having skimmed the book. Yep, I am sure you know enough from that to say that it has no substance and is politically driven.

What do you base that on???

thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 2:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

i base that on al gore taking douche baggary to unforseen levels. he's totally serial.
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
32/M/CA

offline     (33)
August 6 2006 2:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
watch, next there's gonna be vids saying Gore didn't invent the internet. pssshhhh.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 3:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i'll do one better:

Al Gore: The Other Oil Candidate

by Bill Mesler, Special to CorpWatch
August 29th, 2000

For thousands of years, the Kitanemuk Indians made their home in the Elk Hills of central California. Come February 2001, the last of the 100 burial grounds, holy places and other archaeological sites of the Kitanemuks will be obliterated by the oil drilling of Occidental Petroleum Company. Oxy's plans will "destroy forever the evidence that we once existed on this land," according to Dee Dominguez, a Kitanemuk whose great grandfather was a signatory to the 1851 treaty that surrendered the Elk Hills.

Occidental's planned drilling of the Elk Hills doesn't only threaten the memory of the Kitanemuk. Environmentalists say a rare species of fox, lizard and the kangaroo rat would also be threatened by Oxy's plans. A lawsuit has been filed under the Endangered Species Act. But none of that has given pause to Occidental or the politician who helped engineer the sale of the drilling rights to the federally-owned Elk Hills. That politician is Al Gore.

Gore recommended that the Elk Hills be sold as part of his 1995 "Reinventing Government" National Performance Review program. Gore-confidant (and former campaign manager) Tony Cohelo served on the board of directors of the private company hired to assess the sale's environmental consequences. The sale was a windfall for Oxy. Within weeks of the announced purchase Occidental stock rose ten percent.

That was good news for Gore. Despite controversy over Dick Cheney's plans to keep stock options if elected, most Americans don't know that we already have a vice president with oil company stocks. Before the Elk Hills sale, Al Gore controlled between $250,000-$500,000 of Occidental stock (he is executor of a trust that he says goes only to his mother, but will revert to him upon her death). After the sale, Gore began disclosing between $500,000 and $1 million of his significantly more valuable stock.

Nowhere is Al Gore's environmental hypocrisy more glaring than when it comes to his relationship with Occidental. While on the one hand talking tough about his "big oil" opponents and waxing poetic about indigenous peoples in his 1992 book "Earth in the Balance," the Elk Hills sale and other deals show that money has always been more important to Al Gore than ideals...

click here for link
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,526 Posts
60/M/MA

online   (9)
August 6 2006 5:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
So, tell me, then... is it politically driven science against the oil industry... or is he an oil profiteer? Which is it?

Gasp! Al Gore is a corrupt politician!?!?! No fucking shit, sherlock. Next you will tell me that the sun will rise and that water will fall from the sky.

My problem is that you want to have it both ways... and you resort to juvenile idiocy when pressed for proof of anything you claim about Gore's movie, which you haven't seen.

You are utterly full of it.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 6 2006 5:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"So, tell me, then... is it politically driven science against the oil industry... or is he an oil profiteer? Which is it?"

those are two different things. But if the movie and book is written by an oil profiteer, doesn't that just prove how much bulshit it is?
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
August 7 2006 6:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Global warming is going to mess the world up and then all the people that said global warming was bullshit are going to bitch because of all the increased immigration from places such as those that used to be near the Sahara that then turned into it.
thevengenceaz
king hippo
10,585 Posts
34/N/A/AZ

offline   (1)
August 7 2006 12:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
why anyone would move from the sahara desert to the sonoran desert is beyond be, but i'll be waiting for them.
coastal elite
hates chicken.
15,889 Posts
30/F/DC

offline   (1)
August 9 2006 7:48 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Dude, seriously. There's so much more environmental hypocrisy you can nail on Gore than the Occidental shares, which were inherited when his father died. That's indirect at best. He helped end the Environmental Species Act, increased logging in the Northwest, supported all sorts of shit like that in the 90's. A lot of things surrounding Gore are blown out of proportion, but only the little things. No one ever mentions the real deal stuff. Whining about going 75 in a 55, citing that as hypocrisy because that wastes more gas? Politicians are goofy. I compost, recycle, use recycled products, eat local (and mostly organic) foods, all that stuff, but hell if I don't drive 15 over the speed limit. That's called sweating the small stuff.

Look at Gore's campaign promises in the 90's versus what he actually supported once he got into office. They're ridiculous. It's silly to attack Gore's past to try to discredit the facts he presents though. There is no doubt among environmental scientists that global warming is happening, and it's related to human interaction. And even if you don't believe in global warming, what's wrong with helping out the environment? It does a lot for you. Didn't you ever see Bio-Dome? Jeez.
forum Politics and Society ›› Exxon behind fake jibjab film about Gore ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Exxon behind fake jibjab film about Gore

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?