forum Musicians' Forum ›› tuning peg question/opinion ›› new reply Post Reply
Marc McFly

www.thekilling.com
2,706 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline   (14)
November 15 2006 10:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Im frankenstiening my Jackson Randy Rhodes...
im overhauling the whole thing: neck, pickups, tremelo, and doing some custom body work to it...

anyway, im looking into getting sprezel locking tuners...
should i go with them even though im going to have a locking tremelo system, or is are there better ones out there.... i never bought tuning pegs before, so i dont have a clue if they are that good... i just know that ESP uses them on most of their standards.
word
RedBear
hella awesome
876 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (5)
November 15 2006 11:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've got the Gotoh locking tuners, but they actually lock the string into the post, not the tuning into space. I don't know if the sprezel's do the same though.
RedBear
hella awesome
876 Posts
34/M/IL

offline   (5)
November 16 2006 2:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well if they are like the gotoh's yes. Because the Gotoh's lock the string into the post so it doesn't slip out when doing the initial tuning. Once you put the locking nut on there it really doesnt matter what you have going on in the tuning section because most tuning would be done at the bridge via the fine tuners. So if the sprezel's actually lock the tuning post into place then they wouldnt be worth it. If they lock the string into place it might be worth it since it just makes tuning (the first time with new strings) a little easier because there is less chance of the string coming loose.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,761 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
November 16 2006 3:09 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
There is no need for Sperzels if you have a Floyd Rose or other locking tremolo system that works right. I have Sperzels on my fixed bridge guitar, and they work really well but any decent machine would work fine a guitar with a trem.
Marc McFly
www.thekilling.com
2,706 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline   (14)
November 16 2006 12:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^ thats what i was thinkin...
thanks...

another question reguarding sprezels... if i put them on with the floyd rose... will it make more of a botch to tune??? i dont see how it would, but again... i never did this before and i hate restringing my floyd rose guitars... haha ill always try and make my other guitarist do it for a night of drinks
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,761 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
November 16 2006 11:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Floyds aren't hard to tune to begin with. Doing intonation is a huge pain in the ass, but that is a very rare thing. Really, putting Sperzels on a Floyd guitar is a waste. They're really nice machines, but the whole purpose of them is lost as soon as your lock down your nut. The do make changing strings easier, but you still have to cut the balls off and everything else so it doesn't matter. On my fixed bridge guitar they help a ton, though. I only have to wind the peg about half a turn on the thicker strings to get it up to 440, and it rarely goes out. My Floyd guitars still hold tuning better, though. They barely ever go out more than a few cents, and I play pretty hard.
Marc McFly
www.thekilling.com
2,706 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline   (14)
November 20 2006 10:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i came accross the hipshot tremsetter, anyone have one or know any posotive or negative things about it? it replaces the middle spring in a floyd rose (etc)....
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,761 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
November 21 2006 4:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've never tried one of those, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Rhoads btw.
Marc McFly
www.thekilling.com
2,706 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline   (14)
November 21 2006 2:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
<--- worst speller ever right here
i depend too much on word spellcheck and google fixing it automatically for me..haha

i got the neck in the mail the other day, its awesome... the only thing though is its 24 frets and i had a 22 fret one before, so the scale would be off... im gonna have to make the neck pocket deeper and susequently move the neck pickup, ot just get rid of it all togeather, which might be cool. i would fill int he cavity and just have the bridge pickup... ill take some before and after pix so you fucks can check it out... ill post more questions as i go along, and my fuck-ups
forum Musicians' Forum ›› tuning peg question/opinion ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: tuning peg question/opinion

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?