forum Musicians' Forum ›› PEDALS FOR CHEAP AS FUCK FTW ›› new reply Post Reply
Mechanical Birds

i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
October 5 2007 7:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i got a ds-1 today for fucking 10 bucks. i can't afford to spend like $200 on a distortion thingy, so tell me how to combine that and an os-2 to make some ridiculous drone distortion.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
October 5 2007 8:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
fuck this, meant for it to be in musicians. could someone transfer it plz?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 5 2007 9:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
getting a good drone sound out of anything digital is going to be near impossible. to get a good tone, you're going to have to rely on your amplifier, not the accessories
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 5 2007 9:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
but with that said, run it in front of your dirty channel or if it's a one channel amp, you're either going to have to grab an attenuator and soak your volume and run the pedal or just play loud and overdriven as fuck.

i know to get the sick tone Cobain had he had a mesa studio preamp with an ds-1 in front of it and i know that scott hull uses a metal zone in front of a dual rec rack/ampeg tube power amp combo. let me know what your setup looks like and i might be able to recommend a bit more.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
October 5 2007 9:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
fender twin reverb, no pre-amp, just a line of pedals.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
October 6 2007 12:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:RyanX

getting a good drone sound out of anything digital is going to be near impossible.

Neither of those pedals are digital. ?

If you're not completely happy with the DS-1, Monte Allums makes a mod kit that supposedly makes the pedal sound a million times better.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "drone". Are you referring to like a SunnO))) tone?
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
October 6 2007 2:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yes. no matter how i turn the knobs, it all just sounds so empty; there's no substance.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 6 2007 4:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Nicholas Steinborn

getting a good drone sound out of anything digital is going to be near impossible.

If you're not completely happy with the DS-1, Monte Allums makes a mod kit that supposedly makes the pedal sound a million times better.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "drone". Are you referring to like a SunnO))) tone?

oh shit i didnt know PCB was analog, when did that happen?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 6 2007 4:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:3,000 piece McNugget

yes. no matter how i turn the knobs, it all just sounds so empty; there's no substance.

you're in trouble brother.

sleep/om/high on fire use: soldano and electric

black sabbath used old Orange and Laney

Sunn uses Model T's and ampeg, i think i saw an Orange with them once

really something i recomend to you is to go after something old that's unconventional. check out Traynor, they're solid, you're not going to want anything hi gain either. i can't stress enough though, never rely on a pedal.

your twin reverb is going to give you problems because i'm under the impression it's solid state and fender's are bright bright amplifiers. you're going to need something dirty. check craigslist/ebay for any of these brands and you'll be in the right direction

Sunn (see me if you find anything you're interested in)
Soldano
Laney
Hiwatt

avoid new orange, old orange maybe, but don't ever trust that trash. boris looks cool using tons of Orange, but that's about it. if you have a pretty penny to spend, check out electric.

as far as anything tube, 6550/kt88/kt90 will do you wonders.
thewelfareline666
liz has a fat puss
8,269 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (14)
October 6 2007 5:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: RyanX

PCB is a mounting system for components, it has nothing to do with analog or digital
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 6 2007 5:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
also.. if you're using the twin reverb as a combo, you're in trouble too.

thick sound relies on huge volume and mega head room, it will be harder to pull that kind of tone out of a small combo
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 6 2007 5:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:thewelfareline666

PCB is a mounting system for components, it has nothing to do with analog or digital

i got my nutbag bit off for saying that boss pedals weren't digital on plexi palace
thewelfareline666
liz has a fat puss
8,269 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (14)
October 6 2007 5:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:thewelfareline666

i got my nutbag bit off for saying that boss pedals weren't digital on plexi palace

it was probably a forum for guitarists, who, in my years of working with them know nothing. a PCB is a "printed circuit board" it just replaces some wiring. they can argue all day about the sound difference between PCBs and point to point wiring but both are just wiring techniques an analogue vs. digi debate can come in only when we know what components are linked to both of these connecting mediums. hell i'll hand wire some analogue to digital converters and blow everyones mind at that site.
thewelfareline666
liz has a fat puss
8,269 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (14)
October 6 2007 5:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
also the boss pedals may use digital chips in them to achieve their desired effect thus not making them analogue, but it has nothing to do with a PCB
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
October 6 2007 7:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by:3,000 piece McNugget

you're in trouble brother.

sleep/om/high on fire use: soldano and electric

black sabbath used old Orange and Laney

Sunn uses Model T's and ampeg, i think i saw an Orange with them once

really something i recomend to you is to go after something old that's unconventional. check out Traynor, they're solid, you're not going to want anything hi gain either. i can't stress enough though, never rely on a pedal.

your twin reverb is going to give you problems because i'm under the impression it's solid state and fender's are bright bright amplifiers. you're going to need something dirty. check craigslist/ebay for any of these brands and you'll be in the right direction

Sunn (see me if you find anything you're interested in)
Soldano
Laney
Hiwatt

avoid new orange, old orange maybe, but don't ever trust that trash. boris looks cool using tons of Orange, but that's about it. if you have a pretty penny to spend, check out electric.

as far as anything tube, 6550/kt88/kt90 will do you wonders.

i swore this would be the last amp i bought, because i got such a good deal on it. there's no way i can make things sound a little thicker? seems kinda weird.
thewelfareline666
liz has a fat puss
8,269 Posts
40/M/PA

offline   (14)
October 7 2007 9:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
in order to really sound thick, like stoner rock or sludge, you have to push alot of air, i am sure you cn come close and fake it with a combo but it will never really be sabbath.

also fender twins were never really thick sounding amp, i dont know why you would buy a twin if it isnt the sound you like. you will never find one amp that is good for every genre under the sun. if you are in a band that plays sludge go sell the twin and get something that fits that sound.
forum Musicians' Forum ›› PEDALS FOR CHEAP AS FUCK FTW ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: PEDALS FOR CHEAP AS FUCK FTW

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?