Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 5 2007 3:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:RyanX

pedals blow!

It really depends what you're going for. If I could find an amp that gives me the gains I want at the volume I want, I probably wouldn't use pedals.

Besides, a fuzz like a big muff is nothing you'll get out of an amp.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 5 2007 11:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:3,000 piece McNugget

since i got it, i'm pretty sure i'm never going to play with any other distortion. it's got a boost to it too, so it sounds like i'm playing twice as loud as i am when engaged. really thick, crunchy, droneish sounding distortion. my pedalboard now goes delay, octave, muff, delay, octave, delay, whammy. it's heavy as shit.

oh i know all about the muff sound, i think it's thin and crispy.

and are you running all of this in front of a fender? is that you that i was talking with with the fender combo?

all those pedals HAVE to suck your tone dry
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 5 2007 11:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Nicholas Steinborn

pedals blow!

It really depends what you're going for. If I could find an amp that gives me the gains I want at the volume I want, I probably wouldn't use pedals.

Besides, a fuzz like a big muff is nothing you'll get out of an amp.

i personally think it's a lackluster fuzz effect. although i'm an amp snob, my model T gets some sick sick fuzz tone, and if you listen to anything off of the OM records, their fuzz is all tube driven straight from Al's amp.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
November 5 2007 12:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

since i got it, i'm pretty sure i'm never going to play with any other distortion. it's got a boost to it too, so it sounds like i'm playing twice as loud as i am when engaged. really thick, crunchy, droneish sounding distortion. my pedalboard now goes delay, octave, muff, delay, octave, delay, whammy. it's heavy as shit.

and are you running all of this in front of a fender? is that you that i was talking with with the fender combo?

my dry tone is the same as it is guitar to amp, and the muff is fucking ridiculous. it's seriously hte best distortion i've ever played with in my life. i love it.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 5 2007 7:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

If you run a nice blend of buffers and true bypass pedals, it's no worse than running an extra long cable. In some cases, the buffers can give you a better signal.

His modded Big Muff is going to be true bypass, meaning the switch switches between the circuit and a centimeter long piece of wire.

Also.. muff sound.. THIN? Muffs are anything but thin. The high end can be a bit much, but you should probably run the tone at around 10 o clock anyway.

Sorry to keep being a bastard.

McNugget, I'd put the Whammy first to keep the tracking cleaner. I also wouldn't run a delay before gain, but it depends on what you're going for.

What pedals do you have exactly?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 5 2007 10:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i had a muff, it was thin

i have a model t now and it is the mister big dick's hot chicks of thickness
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
November 5 2007 11:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

If you run a nice blend of buffers and true bypass pedals, it's no worse than running an extra long cable. In some cases, the buffers can give you a better signal.

His modded Big Muff is going to be true bypass, meaning the switch switches between the circuit and a centimeter long piece of wire.

Also.. muff sound.. THIN? Muffs are anything but thin. The high end can be a bit much, but you should probably run the tone at around 10 o clock anyway.

McNugget, I'd put the Whammy first to keep the tracking cleaner. I also wouldn't run a delay before gain, but it depends on what you're going for.

the whammy is second on my chain. and i keep the distortion before the last delay so that i can set loops in clean and play over top of it in distortion, or vise versa.

i have two digitech digidelays, a danelectro dan echo(not the shitty one named after food), a boss oc-3, an mxr blue box, and a whammy. i'll soon be adding a line 6 fm-4. my shit is heavy as fuckkkkkk.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 5 2007 11:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
what the hell are you playing?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 5 2007 11:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i expect to hear you're in a floyd/rush crossover band
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 6 2007 12:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

the whammy is second on my chain. and i keep the distortion before the last delay so that i can set loops in clean and play over top of it in distortion, or vise versa.

i have two digitech digidelays, a danelectro dan echo(not the shitty one named after food), a boss oc-3, an mxr blue box, and a whammy. i'll soon be adding a line 6 fm-4. my shit is heavy as fuckkkkkk.

Lots of delay and you seem to dig fuzz.

The PB&J delay is actually a really nice sounding delay. Just a lame enclosure.

I'd be curious to hear what you're playing.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
November 6 2007 2:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
mostly drake bell covers played in dissonant G#
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
November 6 2007 2:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

lol
RedBear
hella awesome
876 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (5)
November 6 2007 7:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: RyanX

oh i know all about the muff sound, i think it's thin and crispy

you never heard my muff.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
November 7 2007 12:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've just never heard a muff described as thin. The high end definitely gets to be a bit much, but it's got a HUGE low end. No mids, but a simple mod to add a mid knob does wonders. Even a couple components swapped out with give a better tonestack.
RedBear
hella awesome
876 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (5)
November 8 2007 7:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I had mine modded to colorsound tonebender specs and it the most ridiculously bass heavy thing I've ever heard. It's awesome
forum Musicians' Forum ›› PEDALS FOR CHEAP AS FUCK FTW ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: PEDALS FOR CHEAP AS FUCK FTW

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?