forum Musicians' Forum ›› scalloped fretboards ›› new reply Post Reply
d rock

mushroom factory
3,826 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (7)
November 18 2007 11:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
can anyone explain to me how it feels to play on a scalloped fretboard? i've never had the chance to play one, and i don't really get why it would feel like it plays easier (according to wikipedia) if there is more depth between the strings and the wood. how would this be an advantage?
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 19 2007 1:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
It makes playing faster supposedly, which i can see, and it does wonders for bending. i scalloped out my ibanez's neck from 12-24 and it's pretty cool.
d rock
mushroom factory
3,826 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (7)
November 19 2007 1:08 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
but how? i just don't get how carving out the wood would allow you to play faster. wouldn't it mean you end up depressing the string further and using more effort?
Dwarn
9/11 = Inside Job
5,979 Posts
45/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 19 2007 4:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
November 19 2007 9:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i played on a strat that had scalloped frets once. i didn't even notice for awhile, honestly cause i was kinda drunk at the time... but the point at hand is it doesn't even feel THAT different really but i did notice a difference once i was told it was scalloped and it does sort of make it easier to move around.
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 20 2007 2:47 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:d rock

but how? i just don't get how carving out the wood would allow you to play faster. wouldn't it mean you end up depressing the string further and using more effort?

no, your string is made of metal, in your theory unless i'm wrong you'd result in bent and mangled strings. your finger presses most of it's pressure onto the fretboard whilst fretting. on a scalloped neck, your fingers don't touch the fretboard or at least don't apply nearly as much pressure, it gives you less of a wall to run into per say and makes zipping around your fretboard a bit smoother, it's like playing on air kind of, it's unique
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 20 2007 2:50 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

the scallops are rather deep but whatever
Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
33/M/CA

offline     (33)
November 20 2007 2:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
so I'd imagine a scalloped fretboard would lead to less string buzzing then as well.

although chances are if you're blowing that kind of money on an axe your strings aren't gonna be buzzing...
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 20 2007 2:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
you can scallop your fretboard by hand like i did on a cheaper guitar.

the one i did was a hotrodded Ibanez RG 350 i think it was
d rock
mushroom factory
3,826 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (7)
November 20 2007 1:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Riff.

Originally posted by:d rock

no, your string is made of metal, in your theory unless i'm wrong you'd result in bent and mangled strings. your finger presses most of it's pressure onto the fretboard whilst fretting. on a scalloped neck, your fingers don't touch the fretboard or at least don't apply nearly as much pressure, it gives you less of a wall to run into per say and makes zipping around your fretboard a bit smoother, it's like playing on air kind of, it's unique

ah ha, that makes a lot more sense. now i'd like to try one out...
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
November 21 2007 12:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it's definetly different so try one out before you commit!
forum Musicians' Forum ›› scalloped fretboards ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: scalloped fretboards

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?