forum Musicians' Forum ›› programmed drums vs. not ›› new reply Post Reply
BEERZEBUB

C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
31/M/OH

offline   (9)
December 1 2007 1:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just curious what people's opinions are on this, both listeners and people who record. What do you think about using programmed drums, either completely programmed in another application, or acoustic drums which then have a sample placed on top with something like soundreplacer, in place of acoustic drums in a recording? Benefits and cons?
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
December 1 2007 3:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It really depends on what you're going for. I don't really care either way. If I'm too lazy to set up my kit and record, then I'll program drums.

Soundreplacer is ridiculously common these days and I don't think it has anything to do with comparing programmed drums to a live kit. 90% of recordings have samples mixed in with the drums. If someone is COMPLETELY replacing stuff, it's not easy to get right. Sample supporting is where it's at. It's when you bring up a sample behind the live track and blend them to sound as one.
Candide
Sword of the Lord
10,947 Posts
32/M/OR

offline   (18)
December 1 2007 4:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
mortician rules
a national acrobat
KT88
30,389 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (5)
December 1 2007 4:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i think it's good for demo'ing material but stupid for recording something serious.

unless you're Sheer Disrespect
BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
31/M/OH

offline   (9)
December 1 2007 11:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Nicholas Steinborn

It really depends on what you're going for. I don't really care either way. If I'm too lazy to set up my kit and record, then I'll program drums.

Soundreplacer is ridiculously common these days and I don't think it has anything to do with comparing programmed drums to a live kit. 90% of recordings have samples mixed in with the drums. If someone is COMPLETELY replacing stuff, it's not easy to get right. Sample supporting is where it's at. It's when you bring up a sample behind the live track and blend them to sound as one.

This is true. And a lot more bands than you'd think do that. All top 40 for example is programmed shit.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
December 2 2007 1:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:VISIONARY

This is true. And a lot more bands than you'd think do that. All top 40 for example is programmed shit.

I don't buy that.

I'm sure some of it is, but a lot of Top 40 is legit and has the best session players on it.
forum Musicians' Forum ›› programmed drums vs. not ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: programmed drums vs. not

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?