forum Drone, Noise, Electronic, Experimental ›› 1 of the best lost psych albums in full ›› new reply Post Reply
BobSacamano

out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 9 2008 8:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
before the makeup and theatrics, before the solo career of their singer, there was only ALICE COOPER, acid fried freak band of the impending apocalypse. here's their first record, "pretties for you", which is probably one of the hardest fucking records ever to track down, in it's entirety. if you dig noisy fucked up psychedelic rock thats somewhere between early floyd, hawkwind, beefheart and a dadaist beatles, you should never miss out on this record. especially "no longer umpire", "changing arranging", and the epic "fields of regret" and "levity ball".

produced by frank zappa for straight records, 1969.

TITIANIC OVERTURE

10 MINUTES BEFORE THE WORM

SING LOW SWEET CHEERIO

TODAY MUELLER

LIVING

FIELDS OF REGRET

NO LONGER UMPIRE

LEVITY BALL

BB ON MARS

REFLECTED
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 10 2008 7:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
maybe it's not THAT hard to find, i guess. but it's still a band that's pretty damn misrepresented and misunderstood, and a good record that goes pretty much unheard because of it [as are the first few of their albums].
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 10 2008 8:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:a hole is true

Originally posted by: a hole is true

HEITKOTTER

...is less than good, regardless of the hype. just a record to show off and gloat about like an asshole.... fucking wesley willis of psychedelia. and this predates him anyway, regardless of mental state or availability or whatever.
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
April 10 2008 9:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
BROWNED
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
April 11 2008 3:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: malachi constant

HEITKOTTER

...is less than good, regardless of the hype. just a record to show off and gloat about like an asshole.... fucking wesley willis of psychedelia. and this predates him anyway, regardless of mental state or availability or whatever.

you are a fucking clown and no nothing about good psychedelic anything.

HEITKOTTER

HEITKOTTER

BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 11 2008 10:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
if that record wasn't so damn obscure you wouldn't find it so enthralling either... i listened bits and pieces of what i could find after hearing about it thinking it would be some kind of lost classic, but the problem is that it sounds like a bad grateful dead set from the 60's with a retard singing the same lyrics over and over again. and ya know what? i don't know shit about good psychedelic anything, most likely because obscurity and the satisfaction of being a condescending dick who knows more than everyone else don't factor into how i judge the music i enjoy.
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 11 2008 2:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i can respect that, really. but objectively, it's still not a very good record and none of its significance or any implications of it's backstory can change that. i've listened and appreciated it for what it is, it's not that i dont "get it". i know what's significant about it, i just don't really think it's that great. roky erickson still makes music, and he's nuts too (though maybe not quite as bad)... but the elevators were a great band. charles manson was a fucking psychopath, and "lie" is good enough to consider, but just because it's charles manson doesn't make it fucking gold. really though, all i was even trying to say in the first place is that the cooper record is a pretty damn good album that's usually cast aside to the dustbin of music history. the stereotypes that go along with the brandname due to the buttfuckery of their singer in the mid-70's and the reputation he gained for the name afterwords unquestionably killed appreciation for the more significant and lesser-known output of the band he came from. people don't know what that name was originally associated with, and personally i think it's a damn shame because i find them to be a completely underappreciated band in terms of who should be appreciating them; their records are usually just panned by fans of alice cooper's universally known shit as garbage because it's not the kind of music they'd be interested in listening to in the first place. tell me you had any idea that this album existed before i said anything about it, and tell me it's not worth hearing or at least knowing about. it's a good fucking record, and if you'd stumbled across a copy in your lifetime you probably would've never thought to even pick it up to glance at. it might not be the rarest thing in existence or an LP you pay out the ass for, but it's NOT that easy to find outside of maybe a few copies on ebay every once in awhile, and for what it's worth, it's an unsung album from a tainted and forgotten band that shouldn't be so unknown. much harder to find live recordings illustrate that even better.

i guess i am being more than a bit pretentious too, but like i said... i dont hate the heitkotter LP, i'm just being realistic about it. honestly, i can listen to it and enjoy it but it's not some kind of high art... not that the album i'm talking about about IS some form of high art, but it's still better from an objective standpoint that considers the actual aural content without any subjectively significant underlying factors. i wouldn't waste time trying to track down a heitkotter LP, and if i happened upon one by chance, i wouldn't pay what was asked for it unless the person selling it had no idea what it goes for and sold it to me for like 10 bucks. anyone who does pay what it could theoreticaly go for is either rich or a moron. i've collected about half of it in mp3 form recorded in streaming audio from various internet sources (because it actually DOES intrigue me enough to have readily available for listening, and i DO respect it enough to put out a minimal effort to capture it for myself), and thats about all i need of it.
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 12 2008 3:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i really can't argue much more if that's the case. cooper LP is still ridiculously good, and obscure enough that MOST people know nothing about it (easy action, too.. and if playing their instruments well is a factor, the polished studio versions of songs on both albums really don't reflect anything of what they were live). heitkotter is still half-good and revered too highly in small circles. ELP is still just a shoddy cash-in amalgamation of early crimso, atomic rooster, and the nice (the pre-dated period of each member is obviously worth a hell of alot more than what they did together). and as far as the elevators go, i'd say 'psychedelic sounds' and 'easter everywhere' both qualify as GREAT records while 'bull of the woods' and anything else culled from whatever was left over are OK (unless there's something i haven't heard that's completely shitty). just don't be a dick and cast aside what i'm trying to get across here. which is pretty much what you did, especially if you appreciate the album i was initally talking about. i'm not a dick, i know what i'm talking about for the most part, and i wouldn't bring up something that was totally unworthy of mention. that's about it. im not a fucking clown with no knowledge, and im not preaching to the choir, either. i was just bringing up a record that doesn't get brought up very often.

i happen to like amon duul I... which from past threads i know you DON'T like at all.... not a big fan of II, but i guess I falls in a similar categorey of subjectively appreciated shit (though way more known than heitkotter or whatever). i happen to find the records AD I made to be worthwhile and interesting more for reasons of their mythos than their actual content (which is pretty DAMN shoddy and unlistenable), and that's that. as a psychology major that's pretty much obsessed with music, i should probably find heitkotter more interesting than i do, but i don't... also i'm a fucking asshole who'd rather argue everything than admit anything. pretentious? you bet i am. for all the right reasons. and yeah, everything out there is pretty much available in reissued or bootlegged form to anyone who wants it these days, so who gives a fuck anyway? i'm no anachronistic vinyl collector, and i never have been. it's far too easy to come by everything in some immaterial digital form, and i'd rather be lazy.

and this stone harbour record... it's something i've heard of, but haven't ever found anywhere or heard at all. any idea where i can listen to it? i'd appreciate it.
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
April 24 2008 4:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it just sounds like a shitty zappa record.
BobSacamano
out of the tombs
5,659 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (16)
April 25 2008 3:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
fuck the epic. basically said pretties for you is good and whatnot, but the 3 albums that followed it are even better.
GoodTimesGone
cubic time cube
51,395 Posts
44/F/ND

offline   (57)
April 25 2008 9:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
epic didnt read
forum Drone, Noise, Electronic, Experimental ›› 1 of the best lost psych albums in full ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: 1 of the best lost psych albums in full

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol