forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› new ab moves ›› new reply Post Reply
asking_for_it

Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (15)
June 18 2008 3:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've been working out 4 to 5 times a week over the past 2 months, and regularly since january. i've lost a ton of weight and my upper body is looking pumped like a basketball. however i feel like i've plateaued with my mid section. i've been doing a variance of a buncha moves including jackknifes, crunches, sit ups, reverse crunches, hanging knee raises, knee ins, double crunches, and bicycle crunches. i keep the abs tight for the duration of the move and keep with the quality, not quantity mindset and i've noticed a huge decline in improvement lately. i even train them dead last in my circuits so they're already pre-exhausted from providing stability in other exercises. so i was just wondering if anyone had some new moves for me or a little incite on how to get them up and working again like they were two months ago.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 19 2008 12:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Dumbbell snatches. 10-15 reps per hand back to back. These will simply crush your entire midsection if you're doing them right. Plus, if you have some decent leg/hip power you can work up to some pretty good weights. Do five progressively heavier sets of 10-15 reps per hand, and you will know what I'm talking about.

If you're strong enough you can try dragon flags. I've never seen anybody over 200lbs do one of these. They're the sick move Stallone does in Rocky IV. Basically a leg raise except you lift your entire body. There should be a bunch of videos and explanations online.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 19 2008 11:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
lay down on the ground. Ask one of your friends to hit your midsection with a sledghammer.

works the obliques better if you do it over a bed of nails.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 19 2008 11:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
but on a serious note. If you want to add some work to your abs do your normal routine but do it on a stability ball. People tend to hate on them but you have to work harder to keep yourself stable while doing the exercises. They are good for core strength.

i also like ab wheels too.

i tried Dragon Flaps (i thought they were called vertical situps) and i got through 2 and was done. Fuck them.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 19 2008 7:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Dragon Flags are insane. I don't know if I'll ever be able to do them. I'm 6'2", weigh 225, and have big legs. The leverages are just ridiculous for me.

Dumbbell snatches really are the shit though.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 20 2008 10:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the only snatches i do are one-armed kettlebell snatches. i do 3 sets of 12 with a 25, 35, then 45lb kettlebell. I only give myself 30 second rests between sets. Its more for conditioning than anything else.
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (15)
June 28 2008 12:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
appreciated...i did 3 sets of 15 snatches per arm today and my midsection is killing me. as far as dragon flags go, forget about it, i barely knocked out one.
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 28 2008 1:05 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

Seriously best thing ever. I had the same problem as you, I could even feel my abs growing underneath my gut. It was starting to depress me a bit and a personal trainer at my gym told me the problem could be not working my core enough. Started doing all my normal ab workouts on the ball and the results really started to show.
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (15)
June 29 2008 3:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
^ yup...my exact problem...the cuts are underneath the flab i got left i can feel them...i just need that extra something to get em to pop on thru.

i've upped my cardio as well. we'll see what results i get. as far as the ball goes, i've gone this long with refusing to give in and buy one of the damn things, but i guess i'll jump on the bandwagon and invest in one.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 29 2008 5:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you want a six pack it's all diet and cardio. The muscles should be there as long as you do some decent lifting. You can do ab moves until your asshole falls out, but it won't get you cut abs unless your diet and cardio are in check. That look is 100% reliant on body fat. I have really strong and well developed ab muscles, but no real six pack because I eat a lot of ribeyes and hate running.

Also, anything spherical that doesn't weigh at least 250lbs shouldn't be in a gym.
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 29 2008 5:33 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I gotta disagree with you slightly.

I agree that diet is very important in toning, especially with the mid section. But a lot of strength with ab workouts is derived from core muscles. Like I said previously I was doing upwards of 200 sit ups a work out as well as oblique and lower back exercises and while my posture improved and I could feel my ab muscles become stronger, I didn't notice my stomach or love handles getting any flatter. This is where the ball comes into play. Deeper, tougher muscle work with less perceived physical exertion.

I personally find the exercise ball is a great tool for strengthening the abs but it also helps you reach deeper, often forgotten/unknown muscles (such as the TVA and erector spinae), as well as improving your balance and overall coordination. This benefits you not only with abs but with your weight training, cardio and anything else you wanna do. You simply cannot do this wrenching your back on the ground or running flat out on a treadmill for an hour straight. It's just not possible. Focused training on a single part of your body in an effort to reduce fat in that area is usually ineffective.

In the end it's up to you. I'm just going off personal experience as I tried a SHITLOAD of techniques with abs before I found what was right and have been doing it for about 18 months now.

Originally posted by: pahulkster

Also, anything spherical that doesn't weigh at least 250lbs shouldn't be in a gym.

With due respect, dumbest thing I've read in this forum.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
June 29 2008 11:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Swiss balls are gimmicky pieces of shit. I want to stack a swiss ball on top of a bosu board to stand on while I do my kettlebell swings with six kinds of bands to accentuate different types of resistance. My ACE/CSCS/CPT/AFPT/NOCA certified trainer said it's the best thing for your cores. He's almost 140lbs, so he really knows his shit.
the cat
numetal/juggalo
7,488 Posts
36/M/DC

offline   (5)
June 30 2008 11:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
this as a drawing
Time Husk
45 Posts
12/M/NJ

offline   (1)
July 1 2008 8:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
regardless of whether theres muscle there or not when you have flab covering them you wont see them.
cardio and diet burns fat. and that pretty much goes for any muscle tone, if you want to looked ripped-lose the fat.
shutyourmouth
I buried my heart
1,886 Posts
37/F/MA

offline   (12)
July 24 2008 12:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've been trying to work out my abs for the last 3 months and seem like I've seen little results or they seem to be hiding at least. I have noticed those side groin type muscles, the ones you see on guys most of the time but the middle is looking bare.
I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and each time I do 25-30 reps of 10-15 a combination of various exercises...sit ups, dragon flags, crunches on the ball, two machines - one where you pull the weight up & forward with both hands (not too far off from regular sit ups) & one where you lay your arms flat and push towards the ground. So anyway anyone have any suggestions as what I'm doing wrong or should add to my work out?
I'm very skinny to begin with so there's not really much fat to burn off i just want to transform what little is there into muscle.
The only problem I have with the ball is that I have a lower back injury and when I use the ball it usually starts to hurt after 20 or 30 crunches. I can 100 dragon flags no problem (prob bc i am like 115 lbs), just don't seem to be seeing results.
ryan.chapman
work bonerz
2,528 Posts
30/M/PA

offline   (4)
July 24 2008 12:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the cardio should be high intensive interval training, not running 5 miles. that is, if your goal is just to get rid of the belly fat over your abs. doing things like sprints and stairs will keep your metabolism revved long after youre done, where with long distance running, the burning stops when you stop
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› new ab moves ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: new ab moves

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?