forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› leg days ›› new reply Post Reply
BlackendWar

back in black
827 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (6)
August 6 2008 9:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
im so top heavy its rediculous. i just cant pack on mass for my legs. Squats, Deadlifts, Leg Presses/Curls/Extentions, Standing/Seated Calf Raises, and nothing has been working well. just curious to see what you guys do on leg days or what worked out best to see results.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 7 2008 11:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's the same as any other body part, you have to get the muscles you want to target to move the weight. You can squat 400 for reps, but it doesn't mean that your legs will get huge (though they won't be small either). Look at a lot of the lighter weight Olympic lifting guys. They have big legs, but nothing like a bodybuilder and the Oly guys squat with much more weight and way more volume.

You might want to give front squats a go for a little while too. These target the quads a lot more directly than back squats. Full ass to grass reps with these will blow your legs up.

Another thing is you might want to try lowering the weight for a few sessions. Sometimes when you are doing crazy poundages you can't really concentrate on squeezing the muscles you're trying to hit. This is especially true for leg press. I always laugh when I see guys with no legs throw eight plates a side on the leg press, and do retarded reps. This accomplishes nothing except ego stroking. Take it to the stops with four plates a side for twelve solid reps while squeezing your quads through the whole movement, and see how you feel afterwards.
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 7 2008 5:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Try switching up your stances during squatting. Trying hitting the outer and inner quads when squatting. Like pahulkster said maybe you should go lighter try going for sets of 15-20. Or something along the lines up 15, 12, 10, 8. Also try doing some cycles of this.

20 bodyweight squats
10 jumping squats(jump as high as you can)
10 lunges just bodyweight
20 bodyweight squats again

3 sets of this will burn your quads up and when doing the body weight squats try to reach for the floor. Legs are a pain in the ass to grow...I'd also try to look online and see what others have done and maybe read some articles consisting of legs. Good luck!
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 9 2008 2:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i have to start working my legs harder now. I am doing another 75 (or maybe i'll do 100) mile bike ride at the end of september. I have to get my legs strong and prepared for that endurance killer.
wallsofpain
bleeding krotch
828 Posts
36/F/PA

offline   (4)
August 9 2008 3:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i love leg days!!!!!!!
asking_for_it
Dave B. #2
4,663 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 9 2008 4:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the last three weeks it's been 4 sets of 15:
between each set, jump rope for 2 minutes (jumping jacks or running in place also do the trick) keep your heartrate up so you're building muscle and burning fat

barbell squats
seated calf raise
romanian deadlifts
seated leg press

on cardio days, to get more muscle recruitment for legs, here's what i did:

1. get yourself a weighted vest and load it up
2. find a long, steep hill
3. sprint to the pinnacle and jog back to the bottom...no rests, no reps..go to failure
4. find a trashcan and puke
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 9 2008 6:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The weighted vest are cool I'd use them if I was jogging or sprinting.
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 9 2008 6:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You could also go old school and take a backpack fill it with bricks and do the same.
Jando
Time Husk
38 Posts
34/M/NA

August 10 2008 12:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Joey Nigma

Try switching up your stances during squatting. Trying hitting the outer and inner quads when squatting. Like pahulkster said maybe you should go lighter try going for sets of 15-20. Or something along the lines up 15, 12, 10, 8. Also try doing some cycles of this.

20 bodyweight squats
10 jumping squats(jump as high as you can)
10 lunges just bodyweight
20 bodyweight squats again

3 sets of this will burn your quads up and when doing the body weight squats try to reach for the floor. Legs are a pain in the ass to grow...I'd also try to look online and see what others have done and maybe read some articles consisting of legs. Good luck!

I don't know what you're trying to do here with that body weight circuit. He said he was looking to put size on his legs. This will just get you breathing hard, producing a bunch of waste product build up and very sore. Waste product build up and the "burn" has nothing to do with growth.

Simple point. Try doing legs twice a week and eating more if you want to add size. hit squats, walking lunges, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, leg press, calf work ect
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 10 2008 10:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
You're right, I was putting that in there because it was different then everything else he had tried. He said he's tried all the regular leg exercises and maybe his body just needs to be shocked a bit almost like a jump start. You're absolutely right that the next day you're glutes and squads will be killing you from the cycles.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› leg days ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: leg days

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?