forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Best way of.... ›› new reply Post Reply
burning fight

PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 25 2008 7:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Getting your bench to go up? What the best exercises to concentrate on and how would the rep range move? I want to blow up my triceps but for some reason having a tough time with this. I am thinking I also need to hit my shoulders harder as well. Any help will be appreciated.
BlackendWar
back in black
827 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (6)
August 25 2008 8:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
google plyo push-ups. deff a move that will build strength.

*its hard to describe without showing you with pictures*
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,228 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (18)
August 25 2008 10:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lat exercises will increase your chest strength
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 26 2008 1:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
What are you trying to accomplish by raising your bench? A more defined goal will make it easier for you to adjust things. If you just want to up the bench for the sake being able to bench more weight then you should look into a basic powerlifting program designed to do that. It isn't my deal so I can't really offer what is best. The Ed Coan program is supposed to be excellent, and who is going to argue with anything Ed Coan. You should also try adding in some rotator cuff work. Do this for two reasons, one is that it will up your bench, and the other is so you don't wreck your shoulders from benching heavier. Assistance exercises are one thing, but mainly you are going to up your bench by focusing on the actual lift of the bench press. Technique changes, grip width, arching, leg drive, etc, all can add up to be a lot if you practice at it.
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 26 2008 7:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pahulkster

What are you trying to accomplish by raising your bench? A more defined goal will make it easier for you to adjust things. If you just want to up the bench for the sake being able to bench more weight then you should look into a basic powerlifting program designed to do that. It isn't my deal so I can't really offer what is best. The Ed Coan program is supposed to be excellent, and who is going to argue with anything Ed Coan. You should also try adding in some rotator cuff work. Do this for two reasons, one is that it will up your bench, and the other is so you don't wreck your shoulders from benching heavier. Assistance exercises are one thing, but mainly you are going to up your bench by focusing on the actual lift of the bench press. Technique changes, grip width, arching, leg drive, etc, all can add up to be a lot if you practice at it.

Thanks for the insight!
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,589 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
August 26 2008 7:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 26 2008 7:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
43/M/NJ

offline   (5)
August 26 2008 7:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
pullups pushups and crossfit
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 26 2008 9:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Joey Nigma

Originally posted by:pahulkster

Thanks for the insight!

I'm going to look up that Ed Coan program I have in a magazine later tonight because I want to use it for my deadlift. I'll post it up when I get a chance.
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 28 2008 6:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'll appreciate that a lot.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 28 2008 10:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah I totally forgot about that haha. I will do it sometime tonight though.
Jando
Time Husk
38 Posts
34/M/NA

August 29 2008 2:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
every answer here is wrong if we don't know where your sticking point is
or if we cannot see form.

Usually I can get someones bench to go up 15 or 20lbs just by getting them to use a proper bridge and utilize leg drive properly
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

August 29 2008 6:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Jando you from PA? If so whereabouts?
Jando
Time Husk
38 Posts
34/M/NA

August 30 2008 6:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I live in Fairless Hills, PA