September 23 2008 12:16 PM
1. I got the barbell exchanged, no problem. Don't know if I'll be able to do it again, though, so I better not break this one.
2. To learn good squat clean technique, you start light and just practice getting under the bar and racking it properly. If you want to try some basic technique exercises, try this.
- Stand with the barbell in your hands, using the grip you use for power cleans. Make sure your chest is out, chin forward, and your weight centered on the middle of your feet. You don't want to be on your toes, so when you're standing, shift your weight back a little and tilt your big toe up.
- Do a strict shrug, not too fast. Just feel the traps as you use them to elevate the bar. Shrug like this twice.
- On the third shrug, execute it rapidly and then drop into a full front squat. Whip your elbows under the bar and out, as opposed to reverse-curling the bar. Then stand, and repeat for 3 reps. Shrug, shrug, clean x 3.
Try this before you do cleans next time, you'll have a better session, I guarantee it.