forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Fucking cheap-ass barbell unapp. ›› new reply Post Reply
Matti Frost

The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 19 2008 3:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Three weeks ago, I went and spent 80 bucks on a barbell at Dick's for my home gym. After about 7 workouts, damn thing broke on me. My last rep on the last set of cleans, 110 kilos, I held the bar most of the way down and dropped it from about 3 feet above the ground with bumper plates on it onto a rubber floor pad and the one collar just broke off.

I'm wondering if I should return it and get another one to tide me over until I can buy a good barbell.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 19 2008 3:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I always wondered why nice bars are so expensive haha. I've seen a few videos of people breaking bars, and some of them are just scary. You can probably just return that to Dick's though. Most people will think it's pretty insane for a bar break so I doubt they'll hassle you. I hate bars that you get in stores like that. A lot of new gyms have a bunch of shit bars, and I never like the feel of them.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 20 2008 1:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, I think I am going to return it and get a new one. I mean, dropping 242 pounds from 3 feet onto a rubber shock-absorbent mat shouldn't cause the bar to come apart like that.

A really good O-lifting bar will run about $700. I'm hoping to get a used one at my next meet, and maybe a better set of bumper plates too.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 20 2008 9:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
its not the barbell pudge, you are just a force.

atleast thats what i'd sell to people if i were you.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 20 2008 10:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
242 for a triple, full squat clean. (Pats self on back, pulls a muscle)

But after watching Lance Frye clean 190kg at 77kg bodyweight, I can't sell the 'I'm just a force' angle.
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

September 20 2008 2:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pudge

Three weeks ago, I went and spent 80 bucks on a barbell at Dick's for my home gym. After about 7 workouts, damn thing broke on me. My last rep on the last set of cleans, 110 kilos, I held the bar most of the way down and dropped it from about 3 feet above the ground with bumper plates on it onto a rubber floor pad and the one collar just broke off.

I'm wondering if I should return it and get another one to tide me over until I can buy a good barbell.

Wow, never heard that before. Impressive lol
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 20 2008 11:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's not impressive to me, I'm out 80 bucks.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (4)
September 21 2008 1:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
don't even tell them what you were doing. just say "I was this close to being permanently injured by your defective barbell, how about just replacing it and being happy i didn't bring my lawyer"
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 21 2008 3:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

But after watching Lance Frye clean 190kg at 77kg bodyweight, I can't sell the 'I'm just a force' angle.

Damn ego killing Olympic lifting bastards.

I have to learn how to do full cleans better. I think my main problem is wrist flexibility, and the catch. My power cleans and front squats are good, but I can't do real cleans for shit.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 22 2008 10:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you want to head down to Iron Sport one Saturday or Sunday I can show you. If your power clean technique is decent and you can do proper front squats, it's not too hard to put it together.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 22 2008 10:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Kevlar Moneyclips

don't even tell them what you were doing. just say "I was this close to being permanently injured by your defective barbell, how about just replacing it and being happy i didn't bring my lawyer"

That would seem to be a good idea, what the hell, I'll try it.
wholesaletrash
i've got nice legs
12,561 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (3)
September 22 2008 10:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
if you walk into a store with that, they'll kiss your ass. go for it.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 22 2008 4:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

If you want to head down to Iron Sport one Saturday or Sunday I can show you. If your power clean technique is decent and you can do proper front squats, it's not too hard to put it together.

My power clean technique seems good but I've never filmed it or anything. I just did 255 completely ATG for a double on front squats at the end of my squat sets so they are ok. I might be able to power clean that for one, but it wouldn't be pretty. I know I could blast that up to where it would need to be for a real clean because I'm pretty explosive on deads, and have some reasonable power there. I need to head down to Iron Sport at some point, but I just don't know when.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 23 2008 12:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
1. I got the barbell exchanged, no problem. Don't know if I'll be able to do it again, though, so I better not break this one.

2. To learn good squat clean technique, you start light and just practice getting under the bar and racking it properly. If you want to try some basic technique exercises, try this.

- Stand with the barbell in your hands, using the grip you use for power cleans. Make sure your chest is out, chin forward, and your weight centered on the middle of your feet. You don't want to be on your toes, so when you're standing, shift your weight back a little and tilt your big toe up.

- Do a strict shrug, not too fast. Just feel the traps as you use them to elevate the bar. Shrug like this twice.

- On the third shrug, execute it rapidly and then drop into a full front squat. Whip your elbows under the bar and out, as opposed to reverse-curling the bar. Then stand, and repeat for 3 reps. Shrug, shrug, clean x 3.

Try this before you do cleans next time, you'll have a better session, I guarantee it.
the cat
numetal/juggalo
7,488 Posts
36/M/DC

offline   (5)
September 28 2008 7:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pudgeTry this before you do cleans next time, you'll have a better session, I guarantee it.

I'm going to try that tomorrow!
Shaka Zulu
Mother of the Tren
55 Posts
38/M/NA

offline   (15)
October 17 2008 12:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Impressive....but even more impressive...i saw vid of Pablo Lara doing a POWER clean with 190 @77kg. I tried to find that video again on google video but I think it had been removed. It was on some Ironmind 96 Olympics training hall footage but I think Strossen quit making that tape because the USOC asked him not to....but yeah...one the sickest lifting feats I've seen.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Fucking cheap-ass barbell unapp. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Fucking cheap-ass barbell unapp.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?