forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Need help w/ gains - supplement advice ›› new reply Post Reply
BEERZEBUB

C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (9)
September 21 2008 11:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
So I've been going steady for a couple months now with a new workout routine I've been doing, gained some muscle, and dropped some weight. I've been taking simple whey protein to supplement my workouts but I still feel like I'm not getting the kind of gains that I should expect. Any suggestions for any other kind of supplements like creatine that I could take with/or replace the whey protein that I've been using? I just feel like I'm not gaining muscle as well as I should for the work I'm putting in.

Thanks y'allllll
burning fight
PUSHED TOO FAR
1,300 Posts
33/M/PA

September 21 2008 12:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I am in the same boat.
RANDY/AWESOME
Warrant
1,255 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (12)
September 21 2008 2:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you might have to eat alil more, if your hittin the gym quite a bit.
and get as much protein in as you can, like 60g, anything over 60 we just piss out. and we can only take in 60g an hour i believe.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 21 2008 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Don't get rid of the whey. Drink it after your workouts, and preferably with some type of carbohydrate.

Up your regular food intake until you start growing. If your protein intake is good then up the fats. It's the easiest way to up your calories. Good fats like almonds, salmon, olive oil, etc. If you've only been going a couple of months then any stalling you have going on is because of your diet. I'm not advising you against supplements or anything, but it's important that you learn how to grow through diet first and foremost.

Once you do that creatine will be your best bet. Just buy regular creatine monohydrate powder, and take five grams or so (basically a rounded teaspoon if it's 100% creatine) before you workout. Also take it on your off days. Don't worry about loading or anything like that. If you respond to it creatine is a great supplement. Keep your water intake high while using it too.
BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (9)
September 21 2008 3:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
My diet might be part of the problem. I eat "healthy" but I'm not really specific on the things I eat, I just make sure what I'm eating isn't all that fat most of the time and I try to keep a healthy balance of proteins and veggies/fruits, etc. What are some things you might suggest in a little more detail that would help me improve my diet to bulk up?
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 21 2008 4:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's basically about calories. Fats are the easiest way to get them because they are twice as energy dense as protein or carbohydrates. One gram of protein/carbohydrates is four calories, and one gram of fat is nine calories. Cutting out fats really doesn't serve any purpose, and usually does more harm than good. Typically when someone is trying to bulk up they think they are eating enough, but it's not even close to where they should be. If you actually break down what you're eating you might be surprised by the lack of calories, protein, fats, carbs, or whatever else. If you're getting about one gram of protein for every pound of body weight then you're good on protein. General rule of thumb for carbs is to stick with good ones (not a lot of sugars). Don't worry about fruit, fruit is fine, eat a lot of it. Since you're trying to add size it's basically a free for all. Yams, potatoes, pastas, hearty breads, and milk will all work well for you. For fats you should go for what I said before. Almonds are great, salmon, olive oil, other nuts. You can get way too complicated with diet things very easily, and end up just screwing yourself over. It's really pretty basic if you aren't trying to do too many specific things.

Get fifty grams of protein at every meal. More is better, less is not. If you can't hit your protein needs then up your meals.

Eat a lot of good carbs. You might put on some fat, but don't worry too much about a few pounds. Remember that you're trying to grow. Carbs make your muscles full, give you energy, and are important to grow. If you're doing 200 grams of protein, then do 300 of carbs or more.

Don't be afraid of fats. Fats don't make you fat, they just have more calories so it can be easier to get fat by eating a lot of fat. Hopefully that makes sense. A nice protein + fats meal is always a good thing. 10oz of chicken or steak with 4oz of almonds is like Ronnie Coleman on a plate.

Try not to make things too complicated. If you're trying to grow then just eat a shitload of good food, and lift heavy and hard in the gym. That is basically it.
Jando
Time Husk
38 Posts
34/M/NA

September 21 2008 8:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
other than protein and creatine the only supplements worth investing in are prohormones. I don't care what you say yada yada about this beta-alanine or this NO product but you'll deal with the side effects. For the money you're investing you will not get the return on your money.
BlackendWar
back in black
827 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (6)
September 21 2008 9:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
in the simpilest of terms your gonna have to out eat your matobolism. i'd try this drink called "Quick Gainer" its about 690 calories per serving and it doesnt leave you filled up so you can continue to eat throughout the day. i'd say if you wanna see significant gains you'd wanna eat like 6-8 times a day. and im not talking snacks either, i mean we're talking actual meals here. its easier said than done, as im in the same boat and can only put in 5/6 due to my schedule.

i can offer up some potent creatin products out there, but up your meals and try the Quick Gainer. all that shit out like "Celltech Hardcore" or "Anabolic Halo" are last resort products to add size if you getting nowhere with your diet/protein intake.
BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (9)
September 21 2008 9:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Would it be too much to ask if you guys could give me a little taste (no pun intended) of the kinds of stuff/meals you are eating throughout the day?
BlackendWar
back in black
827 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (6)
September 21 2008 9:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Breakfast is usually huge. Egg whties out the wahzoo. Oatmeal as well.

Lunch and Dinners and all other meals are usually loaded with fish (blue fish, salmon for me) and chicken breasts. i've been eating some steak on the weekends cause im out at sports bar to watch games during football season.

i'll suppliment shakes in between meals. i make one at work actually. little odds and ends like low fat yogurt, peanut butter. eat plenty of fruit. i never liked cottage cheese but after reading on it, i've forcing it down my throat before i go to bed. nice slow digesting carb thats got plenty of protein.

i wont lie, i stray from it sometimes if im short on time and starving i'll eat some shit i normally shouldnt eat. it happens.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 21 2008 10:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Jando

other than protein and creatine the only supplements worth investing in are prohormones. I don't care what you say yada yada about this beta-alanine or this NO product but you'll deal with the side effects. For the money you're investing you will not get the return on your money.

That depends on what you get, and how much you pay for it. If you're buying Muscletech at GNC for retail price, then you're getting ripped off. If you can score deals then some things are worth using. Prohormones are basically garbage all around, and you're really better off just using steroids if that is what you want to do. The only disadvantage compared to prohormones is the legal side.

I think a post-workout supplement is something everyone who is trying to add muscle should use. I've definitely noticed a difference since I started doing it a while back. Right now I use Anabolic Window by Nutrabolics. It's basically just protein, sugars, and extra BCAAs. It tastes awesome, comes out to like $1.25 a serving, and does the trick well.

I also use extra tyrosine for a boost before workouts now and then, and that definitely works. The effects aren't anything like a stimulant, and from what I've seen you don't build up a tolerance. Aside from a multi-vitamin those are the only things I'm using now, and I'm making good size/strength gains all the time.

A lot (most) supplements aren't worth the money, but if you can find a few things you really like they can definitely make a difference for you.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 21 2008 10:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:VISIONARY

Would it be too much to ask if you guys could give me a little taste (no pun intended) of the kinds of stuff/meals you are eating throughout the day?

Right now my diet is typically:

Breakfast: six whole eggs, some bacon, two slices toast

Snack: big glass of milk (like 25oz), and about three ounces of almonds

workout, then a serving of Anabolic Window or a quart of chocolate milk right after. Sometimes I'll have a Gatorade during the workout, but usually not. After I do legs I have a lot of pineapple when I get home because it really reduces soreness.

Meal: big serving of meat, lots of carbs. Usually something like a steak and a big yam, chicken and rice, meat and pasta, etc.

Small meal: maybe like a PB&J with milk, or some other type of sandwich. Sometimes I do get extra hungry, and have another big meal.

Before bed: Another big ass glass of milk. Now and then I'll have one an hour before bed, and then another right before.

That is usually it. Fruit and things I just throw in whenever, and don't worry about it. Right now I'm 225lbs at about 12-15% body fat. If I ran a few times a week I could go to 10% on the same diet, but I really don't care right now. Diet is probably about 80% clean. When I do hit fast food I try and get a lot of protein, and keep shitty carbs on the lower side. My gains lately have been great too.
BEERZEBUB
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
32/M/OH

offline   (9)
September 22 2008 2:02 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
cool sounds good I'll give some of this a shot. I really think the main thing is I am just not getting enough calories in a day. I stay pretty busy and don't get many chances to eat. So when I do I just eat until I'm hungry (which doesn't take much) and call it a day.

Also, friend of mine takes this and suggested I try it out:

http://www.nutrisaver.com/browse.cfm/4,1955.html?aff=saver

what do you say to that?
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
September 22 2008 5:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Chunk tuna in brine. No matter what my workout or what I have post-workout I always have a tin of tuna to go along with it.

Low fat, the BEST natural source of protein you can get. Cheap as shit too.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 22 2008 10:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

cool sounds good I'll give some of this a shot. I really think the main thing is I am just not getting enough calories in a day. I stay pretty busy and don't get many chances to eat. So when I do I just eat until I'm hungry (which doesn't take much) and call it a day.

Also, friend of mine takes this and suggested I try it out:

http://www.nutrisaver.com/browse.cfm/4,1955.html?aff=saver

what do you say to that?

Don't get that shit. If you want creatine just get regular creatine monohydrate powder.

click here for link

100 servings for $14.

Remember to just try and hit your total calories for the day. You don't have to eat six times a day, but you do need the overall calorie level to be high. What's optimal is good, but sometimes you have to get by with what you can do.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 22 2008 10:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

So I've been going steady for a couple months now with a new workout routine I've been doing, gained some muscle, and dropped some weight. I've been taking simple whey protein to supplement my workouts but I still feel like I'm not getting the kind of gains that I should expect. Any suggestions for any other kind of supplements like creatine that I could take with/or replace the whey protein that I've been using? I just feel like I'm not gaining muscle as well as I should for the work I'm putting in.

Thanks y'allllll

It's not easy to lose fat and gain lean muscle at the same time. I would recommend that you increase your food intake before you try another supplement. Food = real gains, supps are a temporary fix at best. Try adding more protein to your diet from lean meats and fish, and then intensify your workouts. I'd recoomend a supplement with glutamine to aid in muscle recovery.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Need help w/ gains - supplement advice ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Need help w/ gains - supplement advice

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?