forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› cardio: short intense vs long distance ›› new reply Post Reply
nobodygotstylelikeus

Time Husk
8,368 Posts
F/NA

offline   (1)
October 7 2008 9:00 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
My guess is that short and instense cardio training would be better if I wanted to tone.

Name exercises that would help with toning that aren't machines related, but can be done at the gym.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,890 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 7 2008 9:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
for toning, you would aim for lighter weights, high reps. curls, bench press, dumbell press, lunges, shoulder exercises, anything involving light weights.

for cario, if i were you i'd do medium intensity for 20min a night. you'll be toned up in no time
brian.
new cocks
146,094 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
October 7 2008 9:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
TONE
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
October 7 2008 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cardio doesn't tone. In fact, cardio can be detrimental to toning if you do too much, because endurance exercise burns lean muscle tissue and fat.

Toning is an inaccurate term. When you tone, you're actually building muscle. When the muscle becomes larger, it stands out more, gives that body part more shape. That's 'toning'.

You want to do high-rep, light weight resistance exercises like Chris said, and don't hate on machines, they're great for getting that extra few reps on isolation movements.

To keep muscle mass while doing intense cardio, use interval sprints. Warm up to a good steady pace, and then go balls out for 60-90 seconds, then go back to your cruising pace for 2-3 minutes, then sprint again, and so on. Do three to five of these patterns in a 20 minute cardio session. And always do your cardio post-lifting so your body will already be in a fat-burning state.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,890 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 7 2008 11:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
most people refer to toning as losing the little fat they have so they can get more cut, i guess. doing cardio will help you lose extra fat and in turn appear more "toned".

anyways, if you take in enough protein you don't have to worrya bout losing muscle from cardio anyway. i do a ton of cardio to lose fat and haven't lost an ounce of muscle because it take in almost 250g protein a day
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
October 7 2008 2:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
In order to appear toned, however, you have to have some muscular hypertrophy to begin with. Cardio can help you shed fat, but face it, too much and you lose muscle mass. There's a reason why cyclists and marathon runners and triathletes look like they do. The body only keeps enough muscle tissue as necessary to contract and move, there's less tissue that needs to be replenished with oxygen. That's how endurance athletes become conditioned.
JP22
Shark City
7,394 Posts
35/M/CA

offline   (2)
October 7 2008 2:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
When i run after a work out i pretty much jog for 30 min
palealeisgreat
no
4,998 Posts
36/M/AZ

October 7 2008 3:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:brian.

TONE

nobodygotstylelikeus
Time Husk
8,368 Posts
F/NA

offline   (1)
October 8 2008 9:11 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pudge

and don't hate on machines, they're great for getting that extra few reps on isolation movements.

Currently all my weight training is done with machines. I should have specified that I was looking for cardio exercises other then just using the treadmill, elliptical, or bike.

Per your advice yesterday, I am changing my elliptical cardio to 5 minutes steady pace, to 5 minutes intense, then 5 minutes steady pace, 10 minutes intense and so on (normally 30-40 minutes overall until i'm in better shape) After the elliptical I am doing step ups, just 3 sets (1 min each) for now.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,890 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 8 2008 9:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: nobodygotstylelikeus

and don't hate on machines, they're great for getting that extra few reps on isolation movements.

Currently all my weight training is done with machines. I should have specified that I was looking for cardio exercises other then just using the treadmill, elliptical, or bike.

Per your advice yesterday, I am changing my elliptical cardio to 5 minutes steady pace, to 5 minutes intense, then 5 minutes steady pace, 10 minutes intense and so on (normally 30-40 minutes overall until i'm in better shape) After the elliptical I am doing step ups, just 3 sets (1 min each) for now.

if you do 30-40 min cardio on an elliptical a night you'll be in great shape shortly

where you going anyway?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
October 8 2008 10:45 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
HIIT for 30 minutes.

run a minute, walk a minute...until you finish.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
October 8 2008 11:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:nobodygotstylelikeus

5 minutes intense is gonna hurt, though. I would shorten your intervals to 3 minutes steady, 90 seconds balls-out, and try to keep it under a half-hour total.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,890 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 8 2008 12:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

HIIT for 30 minutes.

run a minute, walk a minute...until you finish.

hah not many people can make it 30 min doing hiit. especially if you're doing it full hard as shit sprint.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
October 8 2008 1:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i call those people pussies.

if you can't do 30 minutes then just go until you can't go anymore...work for the full 30.
monaray3
Time Husk
11 Posts
11/M/NA

October 9 2008 2:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
These are some great tips.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› cardio: short intense vs long distance ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: cardio: short intense vs long distance

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?