forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› so i joined a gym ›› new reply Post Reply
slutpunch

pizza is bae
8,768 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (19)
October 10 2008 2:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
but i don't know the first thing about setting a routine. any one have any ideas?
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,890 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
October 10 2008 2:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
do one body part a day. i do chest monday, arms wed, midsection thurs and shoulders/back fri. and i do cardio every day mon-fri. do your weights first, then cardio.

for chest, do bench presses, dumbell press, and cable pulls and shit
for arms, curls of various kinds
for shoulders you should be able to figure it out
midesction = situps of various kinds
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
October 10 2008 3:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you can seperate your workouts into upper and lower body days but its best to break it up between muscle groups.

back/biceps
chest/triceps
legs
shoulders

abs can be done every other workout.

once you get into a routine that you like stick with that same routine for like 6 weeks. Then change it up or else your body will get used to it. You can up the weight during this time but at the end of the 6 weeks you'll want to alter the workouts.

Also i recommend starting out with machines just to gauge your strength and endurance before going all out. I like lifting with free weights more and i just overall think they are more effective but machines definitely serve a purpose.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
October 10 2008 11:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'd say try a more minimal approach and get your strength up. As long as you're not in terrible shape, and have some type of athletic ability you should be good. Even if you just played sports as a kid then it's ok. Some people have a hard time picking up lifting so hopefully that isn't the case. I recommend something pretty basic at first. Like 3 days of lifting for a month or so to get yourself well adjusted to the workouts.

Workout #1

Clean and press 3 sets of 10
Squats 3 sets of 10
Chinups or pullups, as many as you can up to 30 or so over however many sets it takes
Calf raises 4 sets to failure

Workout #2
Bench press 3 sets of 10
Bent over row 3 sets of 10
Skull-crushers 3 sets of 10
Heavy ab work for 3 sets of 10-20

Workout #3
Deadlifts 4 sets of 10
Glute ham raise, these are hard as fuck so just do whatever you can. Do seated or lying leg curls if you can't do any.
Barbell curls 3 sets of 10
Bent over flyes 3 sets of 10

Have at least one off day between each of the workouts.

Also do very very light rotator cuff work on one of your off days. Look up various exercises, and do several of them. You're going to be using five or ten pounds for these. Don't skip this, and don't use a lot of weight.

The number of sets I included don't include warmups. You shouldn't fail on any of the sets, but you want to come pretty close on the last one. Use progressively heavier weights for each set. This is a real basic, but extremely effective group of exercises. You are going to be hitting every muscle in your body over the course of a week. Don't use any straps, betls, gloves, hooks, or anything except chalk if you need it. After you get comfortable with the exercises you should be able to add weight to the bar on every exercise every week. Do this for a few months, and you will be much stronger than when you started. After that you can do a more intense split for each body part. This routine is more about total strength and muscle building.
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 10 2008 11:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
keep it simple to start off with. you'll be sore as shit the first few weeks but it won't last forever.

personally, i'd keep power moves like bench, squats and deadlifting on hold until you start getting your routine set up and run yourself in a bit.
Ramsay99
uhhh What?
99 Posts
34/F/NA

offline   (11)
October 11 2008 1:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
At my gym you start off doing a session with a personal trainer and he helped me a lot....set up a whole program and everything. They have some crazy key card things that keeps track of everything.
socialDBeavis
Mista Sticky Keys
3 Posts
37/M/PA

October 31 2008 1:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
take fiber so you are regular, that way you have to wake up to take a dump. once you are up and dumping, going to the gym is a breeze
tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 31 2008 1:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
pick a treadmill in the back.
stare at the asses of all the girls running on treadmills in front of you.
you'll run forever.
tom.
^__^
62,530 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (5)
October 31 2008 1:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
and if you're lifting just pick up random equipment, imitate others around you, stay out of the spotlight, and stare at those asses
Danforth
some guy
8,949 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (1)
October 31 2008 1:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
keep an occasional eye on what you're lifting so you don't drop it on your foot and break your big toe
Shaka Zulu
Mother of the Tren
55 Posts
38/M/NA

offline   (15)
October 31 2008 12:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Workout A:

Squat- 3 sets of 5
Bench- 3 sets of 5
Deadllift- 1 set of 5

Workout B:

Squat- 3 sets of 5
Standing Press- 3 sets of 5
Chinup/Pullups- 3 sets of as many as possible

Include a warmup for each exercise which includes a set of 5, set of 3, and a set of 2, starting at about 60% of your workset weight and ending about 80% of your workset weight. Do your worksets with a weight that you can get for 3 sets of 5 with good form, and add a small increase to that weight (5lbs) at each workout session. Do this for as long as you can.

Buy and read the books Starting Strength and Practical Programming by Mark Rippetoe.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
October 31 2008 1:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lulz @ Rippetoe
nobodygotstylelikeus
Time Husk
8,368 Posts
F/NA

offline   (1)
October 31 2008 2:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:peter gibbons.

you'll run forever.

beware of cardio machines that have mirrors in front of them
slutpunch
pizza is bae
8,768 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (19)
October 31 2008 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:peter gibbons.

you'll run forever.

the treadmills are side by side, but each one has a tv on it
chocolate juice
game over
11,692 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (20)
October 31 2008 3:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
pfl
Shaka Zulu
Mother of the Tren
55 Posts