forum Sports Talk ›› MMA other thread ›› new reply Post Reply
Dan Conner

Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 28 2008 2:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I thought maybe it would be a good idea to make this thread for all MMA shit unrelated to cards and fights (like the Eilers murder, Levens homicide/suicide, Rampage legal issues, etc.).

So, if you find something worth mentioning thats unrelated to fight cards, this should be the place to put it.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 28 2008 2:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
As far as the Eiler's murder goes, that's a sad and tragic state of affairs. Personally, I never liked the guy or his style, but it's sad and fucked up to see someone go out like that.

RIP

And my thoughts (and prayers if I was religious) go out to the Eilers family. I hope the coward that shot him gets what he deserves.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 29 2008 7:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just watched Strikeforce on NBC for the first time. I wasn't impressed whatsoever. 3 minute rounds? wtf? That doesn't hardly give ground fighters enough time to even work their game. Also, from the fights I just saw, it makes me think I could go in there and win a belt. Melendez has always been one of my favorite fighters, but aside from him, they don't seem to have much talent. I also hate promotions that don't allow elbows. That's one of the reasons why I could never really get into the IFL. The other main reason being the use of the ring. I think MMA should be in some sort of caged inclosure, for purely safety reasons.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,173 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
December 29 2008 7:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
strikeforce on nbc? when did this happen?
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 29 2008 7:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Been on for a while I guess.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 29 2008 8:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Strikeforce does the standard 5 minute rounds. The 3 minute rounds are for women.

If they are showing 3 minute rounds then the fights are carefully edited to not show the full round. I know that the show isn't live its all previously taped events.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 29 2008 8:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Both the fights I just saw were 3 minute rounds, and even commentary (Ken Shamrock of all people) commented on how weird it was to have 3 minute rounds. If they did edit it, they did a DAMN good job, because there is definitely no way of telling.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,838 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
December 29 2008 8:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: FireBeerMidgets

strikeforce on nbc? when did this happen?

they have had late night saturday fights for months now

i also came across UWC (Ultimate Warrior Challenge) a couple months ago on FSN (i think)........it was a decent lower level event......some called it the east coast Strikeforce.....i was pretty entertained they played the whole 3 hour event......main event was Spratt vs. Von Flue though
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,173 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
December 29 2008 9:03 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah i think i remember seeing that von flue/spratt fight. im usually not home saturday night probably why im clueless about it.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,838 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
December 29 2008 9:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: FireBeerMidgets

yeah i think i remember seeing that von flue/spratt fight. im usually not home saturday night probably why im clueless about it.

yeah i found it by dog sitting that night......otherwise i would have never found myself in front of a tv
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,173 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
December 29 2008 9:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
fsn was playing affliction fights as well but it was pretty much the same fights over and over again
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
December 29 2008 11:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Baxter.

Both the fights I just saw were 3 minute rounds, and even commentary (Ken Shamrock of all people) commented on how weird it was to have 3 minute rounds. If they did edit it, they did a DAMN good job, because there is definitely no way of telling.

Wait. Was this the Middleweight Tournament? If so then they were 3 minute rounds. CSAC would allow the tournament to happen if the rounds were shortened. If i'm not mistaken the first round of the tournament was only 2 rounds instead of 3. If there was a draw the fight would have went to a sudden death 3rd round. I think CSAC was more worried about the length of total time the competitor would have fought over the course of the night rather than the length of individual rounds. Strikeforce did their best to keep it as close to a regular fight as they could.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
December 29 2008 3:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Just watched Strikeforce on NBC for the first time. I wasn't impressed whatsoever. 3 minute rounds? wtf? That doesn't hardly give ground fighters enough time to even work their game. Also, from the fights I just saw, it makes me think I could go in there and win a belt. Melendez has always been one of my favorite fighters, but aside from him, they don't seem to have much talent. I also hate promotions that don't allow elbows. That's one of the reasons why I could never really get into the IFL. The other main reason being the use of the ring. I think MMA should be in some sort of caged inclosure, for purely safety reasons.

i think eliminating elbows can be good for 2 reason... no bullshit cuts, and it makes fighters get a little creative with their ground and pound.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 31 2008 3:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: lord sauron

i think eliminating elbows can be good for 2 reason... no bullshit cuts, and it makes fighters get a little creative with their ground and pound.

I don't like it when elbows are taken out of the equation. Partly because whoever is on bottom has one less thing to worry about, and also because that's a big part of my own game (even though we use pads so there are no cuts). Elbow smashes are devastating, and a huge part of the ground and pound arsenal. I've soon too many fights that were stood up because of lack of action when they could have been finished if elbows were permitted. Personally, I think that's bullshit. You seem to be a Pride fan though, so for that reason I understand where you're coming from (even though I too was a Pride fan).

Cuts are a part of the game. You can cut someone with a punch too. If you don't want to get cut, don't allow yourself to be caught in that position, or neutralize your opponents top game. I don't view cuts as "bullshit".
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
31/M/CA

offline   (4)
December 31 2008 3:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Also, I don't see how you can think fighters have to get more "creative" with ground and pound without elbows. So they can only throw punches? I view it as more creative when they can choose punches or elbows. It takes creativity to choose when to throw a punch, and when to throw an elbow. I don't see the creativity when all you can do is throw leather. To me, it seems to take away the creativity.
Captain Ahab
HONKY TONK BLUES
45,173 Posts
38/M/PA

online   (18)
December 31 2008 7:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
wasnt the ifl no elbows?
forum Sports Talk ›› MMA other thread ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: MMA other thread

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject