forum Love, Sex, and Romance ›› have you ever dated someone ›› new reply Post Reply
(dave)

timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 3:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
that you didn't really have anything in common with, that maybe you get along with really well but don't share the same taste in music and movies, etc.?
Moss Piglet
Buffernut
7,806 Posts
33/F/PA

offline   (4)
January 6 2009 3:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
No, can't say I have. Differences in taste aren't always deal breakers though.
Brett Weir
im gay
45,344 Posts
35/M/NY

offline   (8)
January 6 2009 3:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yes
Cory Fierce
Cory
117 Posts
30/M/SC

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 3:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
yes,
Rican Mark
What's good?
426 Posts
37/M/RI

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 3:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
absolutely! I'm going through that now. She is all about fashion, Britney Spears type music, and chick flicks. I'm into food, hxc/metal, and i aint really into movies at all and it is working out really well. All i really do is act interested in the stuff she is into. Only downfall is that i know more about handbags and heels then any hetero should. lol
(dave)
timebombhc
15,088 Posts
30/M/GA

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 3:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
haha...how did it work out for you guys?
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,998 Posts
32/M/CA

offline   (4)
January 6 2009 3:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
LOL, yes. 15 years of age difference is about as extreme as that gets. She was into old funk type music, like The Commodores, Sly and the Family Stone, Lionel Richie, and cheesy shit like Neil Diamond. Liked chick flicks, and was really into Sex and the City. We had basically nothing in common at all. And we were together for 3 years, if that can tell you anything. The only thing we had in common was the love we had for each other.
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (10)
January 6 2009 4:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Always differences, but where we had practically no interests in common? Once. Dude played it cool for the first month or two while we were getting to know each other, and he feigned interest in shit that I liked. But then once the relationship part kicked in, he was completely intolerant of my interests/opinions. Heaven forbid I ever expressed an opinion differing from his, I'd get chewed out for having bad taste or being stupid. Awesome. Needless to say, did not last long.

It could work just fine though, as long as you are both tolerant of your differences. Hell, part of the fun in getting to know someone is that you're constantly being exposed to new shit. I definitely can't get into every band or movie a guy suggests, but a lot of the time I'm pleasantly surprised by the things I end up liking. And he can play his video games all he wants, haha, I don't need to be into them... just like he doesn't need to like chick flicks or jazz music.
Max Schreck
nascar and meth
2,686 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (2)
January 6 2009 1:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i actually prefer that to some extent. unless they're just a fucking stupid contrarian, i tend to like having a different, but informed perspective on things, and i don't really get anything out of hanging out with a siamese twin that blows smoke up my ass all the time. i also like to have some privacy and my own world outside my life with a girlfriend, so having someone that isn't into the same stuff can be ideal for that. two girls come to mind right off the bat: one was a med student, the other was a symphony violinist. both were way smarter than my scenester friends and had a lot more substantive stuff to say even if they didn't listen to neurosis.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,589 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
January 6 2009 1:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
nope.

although, i did once go out with a girl who lived in manchester but hated the smiths.
needless to say, she was the devil.
wholesaletrash
i've got nice legs
12,561 Posts
37/F/PA

offline   (3)
January 6 2009 1:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
pretty much every guy i've ever dated has been the polar opposite of me.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,886 Posts
35/M/MD

offline     (11)
January 6 2009 2:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i very much prefer girls not to be into hardcore and the things i like
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 2:29 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
my wife hates my music, can't stand playing video games does not watch a lick of sports

she watches those shitty VH1 and MTV shows, she CAN'T stand racial humour (which i find funny) and she is VERY organized when it comes to bills and making sure things are taken care of right away....which i'm the total opposite of.

but we get along great as far as i'm concerned and there are a ton of other things we enjoy together.
Davey.
Baby Cole
43,589 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (13)
January 6 2009 2:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:sidney

she CAN'T stand racial humour (which i find funny)

hanszimmer
breeze 'em out
21,316 Posts
35/M/NY

offline   (7)
January 6 2009 2:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DrCraley

i very much prefer girls not to be into hardcore and the things i like

this is pretty much how i feel about it except i'd like to share a common interest in SOME things. almost every girl i've dated was the complete opposite of me and it always worked out for a good amount of time. like the one girl i'm involved with now, we have a lot in common that has nothing to do with music/movies/media/etc. and she blows my mind and i don't even know how to handle it sometimes, haha.

ex nihilio
suck it
124 Posts
19/F/NA

offline   (1)
January 6 2009 2:45 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:sidney

my wife hates my music, can't stand playing video games does not watch a lick of sports

she watches those shitty VH1 and MTV shows, she CAN'T stand racial humour (which i find funny) and she is VERY organized when it comes to bills and making sure things are taken care of right away....which i'm the total opposite of.

but we get along great as far as i'm concerned and there are a ton of other things we enjoy together.

exactly. when your s/o has skills you don't have, and visa versa, you tend to be much more complementary as a whole and they actually add to your life rather than just running over the same ground.
forum Love, Sex, and Romance ›› have you ever dated someone ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: have you ever dated someone

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?