be all end all
Chemical Wire
2,916 Posts
31/M/PA

March 31 2009 8:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: GoodTimesGone

best music scene ever

do drugs, watch tv party and bang on instruments

Haha, some of the dudes and ladies were still pretty straight at the time, IE Thurston and co. Though, he was kind of an outsider in No Wave when it hit it's stride, it's weird. The genre was so short lived and there was nothing en vogue about it at the time (which is one of the great parts about it). If you guys are interested in a concise history of the genre and there are some awesome texts that have come out in the past couple years.

First and foremost, 'No Wave' by Marc Masters is really great, has personal accounts from all those involved, James Chance,Thurston Moore, Lydia Lunch, Arto Lindsey, Glen Branca, basiclly most members of the influential bands, contributors, and artists who were there. It even covers the newer/revival no wave stuff like Live Skull, Swans, and Rat At Rat R. Tons of great anecdotes and TONS of flyers/pictures. It's a really good and quick read.

Then there is No Wave: Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980 by Byron Coley and Thurston Moore. If you are familiar with either of the two they are academics regarding independent music. They are two of the most quality archivists out there. This is a great visual chronicle of the genre and provides quality commentary by both the authors and others. The preciseness and dating in this one is astounding, another good one.

There is another book called New York Noise that I haven't bothered with yet. I am going to look into it eventually. It covers more than just No Wave though.

Side Note: When Asked about producing the 'No New York' LP by Thurston Moore, Eno said he had no recollection of even doing the record, I laughed my ass off when I heard that.

If anybody is interested in the Mars & DNA collab 'John Gavanti' (dubbed the No Wave opera) I will upload it. Some reviews said it was the most un-listenable record ever at the time. I never got that though. Compared to a lot of other material that statement was absurd, but pretty funny.
deerhoof
zzz
32 Posts
89/M/NA

May 18 2009 2:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i would love to hear the mars-dna collab...

Quick Reply - RE: DNA app.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?