all threads All Threads ›› Meshuggah ›› new reply Post Reply
XWHISKEYX

Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
March 31 2009 2:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I did a little reading on them and came across a description of how they write music:

During songwriting, Hagström programs the drums, and records the guitar and bass via computer. He presents his idea to the other members as a finished work. Meshuggah typically adheres to Hagström's general idea and rarely changes the song afterwards. Hagström explains that each member has an idea of what the others are doing conceptually, and nobody thinks exclusively in terms of a particular instrument. Kidman doesn't play guitar in the band anymore, but he is involved in writing riffs.
Except for when Hagström needs a soloist, he and Thordendal rarely record together. Both play guitar and bass while composing. Haake says about his songwriting, "Sometimes I'll sample guitar parts, cut them up, pitch-shift and tweak them until I've built the riffs I want, just for demoing purposes. But most of the time I'll just present the drums, and explain my ideas for the rest of the song, sing some riffs."
Approximately once a year, Haake writes most of the band's lyrics, with the exception of finished tracks. His lyrical inspirations are derived from books and films. Although Meshuggah does not record concept albums, the band prefers strong conceptual underpinnings in the background.

Wow, I can't imagine writing like that with the kind of material they come up with. Mega props to them.
hard_penis
penis so hard
4,367 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (5)
March 31 2009 3:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
best fucking band
RedBear
hella awesome
876 Posts
33/M/IL

offline   (5)
March 31 2009 10:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
After reading that I had to listen to more meshuggah.

great band.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
March 31 2009 10:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've been listening to chaosphere for the last week at the gym...there is nothing better to workout to
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
April 1 2009 12:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Obzen makes me murderous. It's just relentless and crushing, like being run over by a steamroller feet-first.
PH1L
Time Husk
8,056 Posts
35/M/CA

offline   (3)
April 1 2009 1:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Band rules

Eric Paradox
east bay grease
68,058 Posts
33/M/CA

offline     (33)
April 1 2009 1:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
dont like this bande.
palealeisgreat
no
4,998 Posts
36/M/AZ

April 1 2009 3:12 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
this use to be one of my favorite bands...

not so much anymore.
Deminuendo
I brought my axe.
2,611 Posts
36/M/PA

April 2 2009 12:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Hah, I don't think I would want to be in a band that writes songs in that manner.

either way, talented dudes
palealeisgreat
no
4,998 Posts
36/M/AZ

April 2 2009 2:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Deminuendo

Hah, I don't think I would want to be in a band that writes songs in that manner.

either way, talented dudes

agreed
all threads All Threads ›› Meshuggah ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Meshuggah

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images