forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› so my lazy ass finally joined the gym in Pville ›› new reply Post Reply
baconanddrugs

I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (2)
May 22 2009 2:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it's probably been about a good 5 years since i've had anything that would qualify as an excercise routine but the wings and beer have caught up with me and I've decided its time to drop some pounds, i'm looking for someone to help me out with a good workout routine, as of now i'm off tour for the next two months so i'm going to make the effort to go to the gym every single day and workout for probably 30 mins to an hour, i'm not terribly interested in building a bunch of muscle but more so about slimming down can anyone reccomend a routine to achieve this? my eventual goal is to lose 40 to 50 lbs.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,806 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 22 2009 2:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you are definitely going to need to put in more time than just 30 minutes a day.

I'd say start off with the basics before you go all Gung-Ho with it. Maybe start with just machines until you start to get into the swing of things.

Day 1 - Chest/Biceps/Abs/Cardio
Day 2 - Back/Triceps/Cardio
Day 3 - Legs/Abs/Cardio
Day 4 - Shoulders/Traps/Cardio
Day 5 - Abs/Moderate Cardio

Try to get atleast 3 exercises per muscle group.

And change your diet. A steady intake of wings and beer will not allow you to drop 40-50lbs. Obviously reward yourself from time to time but cut them out almost completely.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (2)
May 22 2009 3:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WREN

you are definitely going to need to put in more time than just 30 minutes a day.

I'd say start off with the basics before you go all Gung-Ho with it. Maybe start with just machines until you start to get into the swing of things.

Day 1 - Chest/Biceps/Abs/Cardio
Day 2 - Back/Triceps/Cardio
Day 3 - Legs/Abs/Cardio
Day 4 - Shoulders/Traps/Cardio
Day 5 - Abs/Moderate Cardio

Try to get atleast 3 exercises per muscle group.

And change your diet. A steady intake of wings and beer will not allow you to drop 40-50lbs. Obviously reward yourself from time to time but cut them out almost completely.

Awesome thanks man, i'm definetly going to cut out a lot of the bad food and i've cut back on drinking beer so hopefully that will help a lot, would you say an hour a day would be a good place to start?
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,806 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 22 2009 3:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah. Depending on what you do and how long of rests you do for your lifting portion of your routine, you probably could blow through all that in 30-40 minutes leaving you with 20-30 minutes for cardio.
Bonsai
be here now.
5,281 Posts
29/F/PA

offline   (10)
May 22 2009 3:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if not a traditional split, you could probably do Rippetoe's Starting Strength (noob lifting/strength training program) or something similar, and do it in 30-40 mins your first few weeks. just throw in some HIIT and you could be in and out in under an hour.

once you get going though, you'll need more time.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,806 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 22 2009 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Bonsai

this.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (2)
May 22 2009 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Just got back from day one, ended up staying for around an hour and twenty minutes, did 30 minutes of cardio (bike, treadmill and hillclimber jawn) 10 minutes a piece and did about 45 minutes on different machines working out chest and abs and some curls with the 20lb barbels (yes i'm weak). I have to say I feel amazing I expected to feel full on horrible like my body was falling apart because its been so long (maybe that comes later) but I have so much energy right now I don't know what to do with myself, I took my dog on a half hour walk as soon as I got back and now i'm just pacing around the house. I think I may actually stick with this and hopefully burn some pounds

Originally posted by:Bonsai

if not a traditional split, you could probably do Rippetoe's Starting Strength (noob lifting/strength training program) or something similar, and do it in 30-40 mins your first few weeks. just throw in some HIIT and you could be in and out in under an hour.

I do not know what any of that means but I will look into it thanks for the advice, today I just basically tried to follow Wren's guidelines and excercise three different muscle areas, I definetly feel like I have to focus more on the lifting aspect of things, I figured I still had a decent amount of muscle, cardio is what scared me because I smoke a lot but it actually turned out to be the other way around, I did fine with the cardio its the lifting that definetly is laying a hurt on me.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
198,237 Posts
34/M/PA

online     (23)
May 22 2009 6:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Come to the y with me and my brother. We will whip you into shape
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (2)
May 22 2009 7:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:cbrickhouse

Come to the y with me and my brother. We will whip you into shape

dude I could be down, I joined SNAP because its close to my house and I don't have a car, do you get like guest passes or anything or can you pay just for the day? let me know man I really think working out is going to be my new shit.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
31/M/PA

offline     (2)
May 23 2009 1:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
so to update it is now day 2 and I woke up with massive amounts of pain in my shoulders and biceps (I guess this is what happens when yo don't work out for 5 years) my legs are a little sore but I could probably do the eliptical for a while, is it better to give the muscles a day off or get back in the gym and quit my bitching?
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
11,470 Posts
31/M/PA

online   (2)
May 25 2009 3:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
You want to give your muscles time to rest. You can workout while you're sore, but if you're really wrecked you need to recover or you'll never get results. You should also do your cardio after you lift to maximize what you get out of lifting, and the amount of fat you burn from cardio.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,806 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
May 25 2009 9:07 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:TylerPursel

so to update it is now day 2 and I woke up with massive amounts of pain in my shoulders and biceps (I guess this is what happens when yo don't work out for 5 years) my legs are a little sore but I could probably do the eliptical for a while, is it better to give the muscles a day off or get back in the gym and quit my bitching?

That pain is probably DOMS.

But like it was said, don't workout when you are sore. That's why its a good idea to split up the muscle groups so you aren't constantly working the same area and just causing injury.

Give yourself some rest time. Try lifting 2 days on, 1 day off.

Also, for the love of god, quit smoking. Smoking can cripple alot of gains you can make.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› so my lazy ass finally joined the gym in Pville ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: so my lazy ass finally joined the gym in Pville

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band