forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Weight machines ›› new reply Post Reply
XWHISKEYX

Old Head
38,973 Posts
62/M/NA

online   (23)
June 9 2009 1:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Some of them are pretty good, but now that I have been lifting heavy again I'm starting to get back into free weights more. I had to take it easy over the last few weeks, completely skipping a week at one point because of fucking up my shoulder on the butterfly machine. It is one of those deals where you start your lift with your arms out, fully extended and then bring your hands together. The machine is adjustable so that you can start with your arms a little closer together or farther apart and stupid me goes with the farther apart which is almost like hyper-extending my shoulder. I have no idea why I didnt pay attention to my body more but I felt strained each time I lifted with it that way and my shoulder would make occassional cracking noises but I powered through it. That lasted until one morning I woke up and my shoulder was screaming and my arm randomly tingled. The whole makeup of that machine sems ergonomically bad, starting out with your arms like that really puts alot of stress on your joints. Anyways, Im done with that noise and have gone to dumbells. Just thought I would share.
Ian G.
Time Husk
5,391 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (8)
June 9 2009 1:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i feel too tall for a lot of universal machines, free weights are basically all i do now.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,726 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 9 2009 1:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That is the problem with machines. Everyone has different bone lengths and proportions so it's hard to get things just right. Machines definitely have their place, but regular free weights will always be the king. The best machines that I've used are the plate loaded ones by Hammer Strength. Some of their stuff is fantastic, and I would love a gym that had a bunch of them. Actually, some of the best machines are the really old Nautilus stuff designed by Arthur Jones. The guy was a genius, and his stuff is still better than 99% of the machines out there. I used to lift at an old gym that had a bunch of machines from the early 80s, and most of them were the best of their type that I've ever tried.
Ian G.
Time Husk
5,391 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (8)
June 9 2009 1:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh yeah i forgot about hammer strength machines, they are sweet. but for some reason it feels less natural to me than free weights. i guess thats the problem of being 6'4"
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,726 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 9 2009 1:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well it is less natural haha. I'm 6'2" and it can be a pain getting the right adjustments on some machines. Don't forget about cables either. They can often be a happy medium between free weights and machines. Cables are very useful for all types of training because of the huge ROM and constant resistance.

cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
June 9 2009 1:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
free weights are better for balance. also you can do way more with them
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 9 2009 1:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If i feel like doing circuits, sometimes its alot easier to do them on machines than free weights. I can hit multiple stations that are fairly close together without being interrupted. With free weights, it's almost a guarantee that someone will steal a bench or the squat rack while i'm trying to do the circuit.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
June 9 2009 1:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yo wren its about time you came up and lifted with me and aaron again
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,726 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 9 2009 2:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Machines are definitely better for circuits unless the gym is pretty empty. You can do a good circuit routine with just one barbell too. I was doing sort of a half bodybuilding half circuit routine for a while, but just switched back. I lost some weight and my cardio got better, but my strength went down. Went in yesterday and did my old shoulder workout, and it was ridiculous even though I was using like 80% of my normal weight.

If you ever do get a chance to try the old Nautlius machines make sure you do. Their cam system still hasn't been topped imo, and they are really well engineered. If I ever open a gym I'm going to get a bunch because you can score them now for a few hundred each instead of a few thousand for some new pos.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 9 2009 2:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:cbrickhouse

yo wren its about time you came up and lifted with me and aaron again

next week. lets do it.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
June 9 2009 2:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
im down
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 9 2009 2:18 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pahulkster

Machines are definitely better for circuits unless the gym is pretty empty. You can do a good circuit routine with just one barbell too. I was doing sort of a half bodybuilding half circuit routine for a while, but just switched back. I lost some weight and my cardio got better, but my strength went down. Went in yesterday and did my old shoulder workout, and it was ridiculous even though I was using like 80% of my normal weight.

If you ever do get a chance to try the old Nautlius machines make sure you do. Their cam system still hasn't been topped imo, and they are really well engineered. If I ever open a gym I'm going to get a bunch because you can score them now for a few hundred each instead of a few thousand for some new pos.

i have killer circuits i can do with a medicine ball as well. The machines allow me to hit specific bodyparts heavy in a circuit format though. It all really depends upon what my goal is that day.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,726 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 9 2009 2:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That is similar to what I was doing. Three or four exercises in a row for a specific body part. Usually do two or three circuits like that five times each. It was nice to incorporate more cardio into my routine, but I just can't get away from basic heavy weight training.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 9 2009 2:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
ha my circuits are like 10-15 exercises that cover the whole body either done in rounds or for a specific amount of time.

Kettlebell, DB, or Medicine Ball circuits are done in 5x3 minute rounds with a 1 minute break. This simulates a fight.

Freeweight or Machine circuits are done just for 15 minutes straight. I get enough of a break moving to the next machine.

All circuits suck by the halfway point but they are fun to do.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,726 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
June 9 2009 3:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would puke, piss, and shit simultaneously out of every hole in my body if I did that.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
June 10 2009 8:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
My MMA school's Conditioning Classes are pretty much that. We do them every Thursday (well i don't do them every Thursday). I noticed as long as your cardio is half decent and you really push yourself to make it through, its not too bad. The goal isn't to get through the sequence 100 times but to just complete as many as you can. The last few minutes of the circuits i'm going at like a 1/16th of the speed of when i started.

I'll tell you this much. You'll sleep beautifully that night.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Weight machines ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Weight machines

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?