forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Heart Rate ›› new reply Post Reply
XWHISKEYX

NoCareEver
36,703 Posts
63/M/NA

offline   (22)
June 24 2009 2:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I overheard some ladies talking the other day about monitoring their heart rates while on the eliptical. They were talking about keeping their rates down low to burn fat rather than keeping it high which burns mostly sugars, any truth to this? I alsways get my heart rate up and keep it there for my entire session, I'm trying to burn as many calories as possible and hope that along with that goes the fat loss. Am I setting myself up for disappointment with this method?
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,981 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
June 24 2009 2:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
There is some truth to it. If you look at the scales on the machines you'll notice that the lower heart rate zone is for the "fat loss" while the higher zones are for "cardio". Honestly if you are getting your heart rate up and keeping it up you are going to burn fat as well.

The best solution is to do interval training. Get the BPM up for a period of time and then bring it back down. Maybe 2 minutes on 2 minutes off.
XWHISKEYX
NoCareEver
36,703 Posts
63/M/NA

offline   (22)
June 24 2009 2:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
that's a good idea I'm going to try that. I've notices some people on the treadmills who jog for a while and then walk, and then go back to jogging. Most likely for that reason.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,981 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
June 24 2009 2:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
that or fatigue and they are using the walk as their rest. I know that sometimes after a really good lifting session i'm near cooked before even getting on the treadmill but i still plan to go at it for a specific amount of time. If i can't make it straight through, i'll walk for a few, and then finish out the run. For me, the key is completing the time.
XWHISKEYX
NoCareEver
36,703 Posts
63/M/NA

offline   (22)
June 24 2009 2:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
that makes sense man.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
11,497 Posts
31/M/PA

online   (2)
June 24 2009 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think people will use that as a convenient excuse to not really exert themselves. I've found myself doing it from time to time. When you're moving faster you're burning more calories, and that is generally a better thing. It's not like your body instantly stops burning fat when your heart goes above 150bpm. HIIT is really the best way to lose fat, and that will slam your heart rate through the roof.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,021 Posts
38/M/NJ

offline   (5)
June 24 2009 3:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
are you really trying to take advice from fat women on ellipticals?
XWHISKEYX
NoCareEver
36,703 Posts
63/M/NA

offline   (22)
June 25 2009 9:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
haha, no they were actually pretty thin.
Craley
I brought gifts
15,499 Posts
29/M/MD

offline   (70)
June 25 2009 11:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
my heart rate goes all over the place during the first hour of my work out....i get on the treadmill first and do 2 miles.....most of it is running....but like wren said i will drop the speed down in the middle sometimes to walk for a rest then get back to running....my heart rate there usually stays from 150-170

straight from there i get on a bike and ride 12 miles in a half hour....but my heart rate drops down to around 130-145 depending on my RPMs which i try to keep at 125-130

i never knew what any of this mattered because i am still pretty clueless when working out....but most of this thread makes sense now
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Heart Rate ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Heart Rate

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band