forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Shin Splints ›› new reply Post Reply
Hallowedbthyname

tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (2)
July 10 2009 1:54 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Anybody else get this from cardio and sports?

I started getting this from ukemi in aikido, and a lot more now that I'm jogging a few times a week it sucks...

Not really sure if there's anything that can help other than shit like aleive and just plain rest but I'm curious how any of you have dealt with it.
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (10)
July 10 2009 2:05 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

i hate running, but once in a blue moon i'll get them from jumping rope. lol. massaging them immediately after usually helps. massaging prior is supposed to help as well, but i never have the foresight to do that.

ice is supposed to help too, but i've never bothered trying it.
Hallowedbthyname
tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (2)
July 10 2009 2:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm too lazy to ice, massaging subsides it for me but not really that much, shit sucks
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
July 10 2009 10:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Shin splints *could* be micro-fractures, or it could be caused by an imbalance between the calf muscles and the muscles that run down the front/side of your leg. Try and work those whenever you work calves, and make sure you're stretching after any workout- cardio/MA/weights.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
July 10 2009 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
these are awful
Hallowedbthyname
tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (2)
July 10 2009 12:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pudge

Shin splints *could* be micro-fractures, or it could be caused by an imbalance between the calf muscles and the muscles that run down the front/side of your leg. Try and work those whenever you work calves, and make sure you're stretching after any workout- cardio/MA/weights.

It sucks, I have no choice but to get it in my one leg because 10 years ago I broke it in half and when they put it together it healed curved so the calve muscles are twisted...I always drink water/eat and stretch about a half hour to 45 minutes before anything though good advice there
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
42/M/NJ

offline   (5)
July 10 2009 1:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
shin splints start from not stretching enough. it is due to the tightness from the ligaments to the bone and is experienced as sharp pains.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
July 12 2009 11:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
linament oil tends to help me out with these.
Hallowedbthyname
tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (2)
July 12 2009 8:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

linament oil tends to help me out with these.

Really?...I never would of thought of that
Dan.
____
8,803 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (4)
July 12 2009 9:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
In high school i ran 100/300 M hurdles, did triple and high jump, and ran the 800 meter. the only thing you can do is to press and massage HARD right after you exercise. Start at the top(by the knee) and work your way down. After that ice up. i had shin splints all throughout high school and it sure as shit wasn't because i didn't stretch. The constant pounding will fuck you up no matter how much you stretch.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
July 12 2009 9:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
try massaging them for a half hour with aspercreme.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
July 12 2009 9:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
...that's aspercreme.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (4)
July 17 2009 11:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
shin splints are caused by an excess of cardio and are usually found in people who are body fat deficient. the last time i had shin splint was about ten years ago when i brought my body weight up to a more normal triple digit kilo range and began a better diet regimen of more pizza and exercise regimen involving fewer days in the gym and fewer reps and sets while there.
Hallowedbthyname
tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (2)
July 18 2009 1:30 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kevlar Moneyclips

shin splints are caused by an excess of cardio and are usually found in people who are body fat deficient. the last time i had shin splint was about ten years ago when i brought my body weight up to a more normal triple digit kilo range and began a better diet regimen of more pizza and exercise regimen involving fewer days in the gym and fewer reps and sets while there.

no
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (4)
July 22 2009 8:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the boat's over there. you're late
dearyou
Time Husk
3 Posts
29/F/NA

July 29 2009 4:32 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
run ice cubes down your shins, and press hard. when youre running / working out but icyhot on them, it helps.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Shin Splints ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Shin Splints

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?