forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA conditioning (basically attn: Wren) ›› new reply Post Reply
pahulkster

what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 8:08 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Tips? Programs? Anything?

I'm not looking to actually fight unless somebody wants to do old timey boxing, but I'd like to get into or close to "fight shape". I can lift heavy all day, but when it starts to get more aerobic my shit just folds. I've been doing things after my usual lifting so that might be why too.

Today I did some shoulders and back, then hit the bags for a while. I pretty much make up my own plans as I go. Today was:

Mounted punches/elbows on a bag. Ten combinations
Get-up with the bag
Slam the bag

I just did some circuits of that. I think it was the get-ups, but that really wiped me out.

Any discussion on interesting conditioning is welcome. I hate swiss balls and running so fuck that noise.

WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 8:19 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
When it comes to lifting for me it's alot of big circuits when its close to fight time and alot more maintenance work during the off time.

An example of one of the circuits i do is

3 rounds x 12 reps (no rest period)

Deadlifts
Front DB Raises
Lateral DB Raises
Bicep Curls
Pushups (on rings)
Pullups
Dips
Plie Squats
Incline Situps w/ medicine ball

take a 3-5 minute rest then next circuit

3 x 12 reps (no rest period)

Upright Rows
One Arm Kettlebell Snatch
Bent Over Rows
Shrugs (w/ plates)
Overhead Tricep Extension (w/ plate)
Neck Bridges
Walking lunges (w/ plate)
AB Wheel

Take another 3-5 minute rest

Burn yourself out with 1 3 minute round of suicide runs.

The object is to remain strong for a fight but you need to have the muscular endurance and cardio to go however long the fight is. I wish i was training for a fight all the time because i'm normally 20 lbs lighter than what i am when i'm doing that. I think since i want to be in phenominal shape for my wedding on Halloween i'm going to train like i would for a fight until then.

But in reality the best workouts you can get are when you are working with someone else. You develop a different kind of strength when you have to use force against force with another person. Also working with unnatural lifting objects seems to help too. Look at the farmboys, their strength is retarded (pun intended).
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 8:27 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
To add to working with someone else.

Since MMA requires alot of grappling, i notice that doing the above circuit takes us about 45 minutes to get through and i'm dead nearing the end. But in a grappling scenario i'll burn out in 20 minutes of straight grappling. When i first started i was lucky to not be tired after 3 minutes. This type of strength and cardio is definitely something you can learn in your standard gym.

Oh and suplexing or deadlifting heavybags is a great way to mimic a person.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 8:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm just trying to find some kind of balance between more traditional lifting, and different types of conditioning workouts. If I had some people to spar with I'd probably focus more on conditioning/fight stuff, but I can't find anyone interested so I have to just do what keeps me focused. My problem is that I always want to do everything at once because I hate compromising. I always want to get bigger, stronger, more cut, more explosive, faster, etc all at the same time and for me that is just impossible. It's impossible for anyone, but definitely for me. I don't have great athletic genetics, and I really have to be a one trick pony to exceed. None of my gains are easily won at all.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 8:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WREN

Oh and suplexing or deadlifting heavybags is a great way to mimic a person.

Haha yeah. I'm interested in seeing what the twenty mexican guys who are usually at the gym with me do when I'm doing imaginary ground n pound and slams with a heavy bag.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 8:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well i would look into doing circuit lifts at the gym and doing research on the caveman type training stuff, like sledgehammer swings/flipping tires/sled pulls....stuff like that.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 8:58 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
My gym doesn't have any of that stuff, but I'll have to see what I can work out. Two a days might be the answer if I can keep up with it.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 9:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Two a days will definitely help. Our pro-fighters workout 2 sometimes 3 times a day. Their physique definitely shows the work they put in.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 9:55 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
what? sounds like a piece of gimmick equipment.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 10:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:skot667

wren, did you see that MMA workout machine that goes on your door? I wonder how well it works-- looks bad ass though

I have a band system that goes over the door. It works half decently, but none of the doors here can close all the way. I haven't actually done a whole workout on it in a long time, but I remember it being ok. The resistance is completely different than anything else. I don't know if that is anything similar to what you're talking about but hey.

On the subject of MMA conditioning I forgot to mention that I got the Bas Rutten conditioning program too. I haven't looked at it yet, but El Guapo won't lead me astray.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 10:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If it came with the audio stuff he will make you wish you were dead at the end of his conditioning drills.

For fun one night instead of taking muay thai we ran through all 12 rounds of his conditioning. People were dropping off by round 6. I was throwing strikes like dogshit after round 8.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 10:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah it's video, mp3s, and a book.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 10:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The Big Book of Combat is definitely an awesome package to own. He teaches alot of unorthodoxed stuff but alot of it is beneficial in a street scenario.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 10:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah I'm getting that now. I actually feel a little bad about pirating his stuff because he seems so nice/funny. Oh well, maybe he'll kick me in the stomach and we can call it even when I get out of the hospital.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 4 2009 10:44 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I met him at the first IFL Championships. He's super nice and outgoing. Basically what you see in his interviews and videos, thats him in real life.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 4 2009 10:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
There's only two things in this world that I hate. People who are intolerant of other cultures...and the Dutch.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA conditioning (basically attn: Wren) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: MMA conditioning (basically attn: Wren)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?