forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Overhead squats ›› new reply Post Reply
pahulkster

what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 6 2009 7:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you want to work your legs and core well while being humbled I would suggest trying these out. If you aren't pretty flexible it is going to be interesting. I'm just starting to get flexible enough to do these, but my hips are kind of tight. Anybody else do them?

If you're unfamiliar you put a bar over your head with a very wide grip, squat all the way down with the bar overhead, come back up. Falling over is likely to be in there somewhere if you aren't used to them.

WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 6 2009 7:39 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm going to do a set of these tomorrow morning just to try it out.

What's the over/under on number of times i topple over?
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 6 2009 7:43 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have no idea. It's a specific kind of strength. My friend can do some reps of these with 135 I think, and I'm generally a little stronger than him on lower body stuff. I MIGHT be able to do overheads with 95lbs haha. Supposedly good Olympic lifters can do more on overhead squats from the bottom than they can do on front squats. I've done front squats at 275x5 so I'm not even in the same universe if you use those ratios. If you have good core strength and good flexibility you should be alright. Start with the bar and work your way up. All the way down too. Keep your upper body tight, and push your knees out.

I did these after starting back squats again. I haven't done proper real squats in at least a year. I always do front squats so I was a little killed today anyway. Next time I might just do a lot of overheads.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 6 2009 7:49 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I almost never do front squats because i'm not comfortable with my form. It's mostly the holding of the bar. I always feel like i'm going to lose it. I'll only do them if i'm working out with someone, like my buddy Matt, that knows how to properly do them and will spot me the entire time.

I also used to think my form in standard squats was flawless, until Tuesday night, when i worked in with one of the gyms pro-bodybuilders. He critiqued me just enough that it nearly changed the entire lift. I was impressed. Hopefully i can do them with the corrections next leg day.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 6 2009 8:01 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The squat can be one of the most technical lifts when you really get down to it. That is one of the reasons that I usually just do front squats. Regular squats have always been weird for me, and are really hard to get right. Front squats are very natural for me, and I just prefer the feel of them a lot more. I do them with a cross grip, and never have trouble holding the bar. This seems to be a problem for a lot of people, but it has never bothered me. Just keep your elbows high, and have the bar tucked between your delts and clavicle. It's important to try and have your torso as vertical as possible for the whole lift. Tight abs and sitting back works for that.

Hopefully Pudge comes in with some advice on the overheads.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 8 2009 6:14 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Try these yet?
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 8 2009 8:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Nah i didn't make it to the gym yesterday because of a family emergency. I'm going to get into the gym tomorrow and give them a go.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
August 8 2009 10:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
For help with stablizing front squats you should try one of these. click here for link

I used one for a while for front squats but now I exclusively do Zercher squats in the front.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 8 2009 10:40 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
as odd as that thing looks, that probably would help me with my problem.
Barabbas
The Trouble Maker
10,450 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (10)
August 8 2009 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I like mine. They have one called the manta ray for standard squats to replace a pad but I've only used the front one.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (4)
August 8 2009 2:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
put your hands at 90 degree angles to your wrists and have the bar in such a way that it is almost balanced on your palms, the weight should bear directly on your forearms.

when the bar is overhead it should be further back than you are probably accustomed to. it should probably be stretching your shoulders and feeling as if its going to pull you back. if there was a straight vertical line going from your feet to your head the bar would be centered on that line. eyes directly forward, never looking even a little bit up, as this will cause you to move backwards too much. theres no shame in using just the bar until you know what you're doing
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 8 2009 4:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Having the bar back was always my problem because my shoulders were (and still are really) very inflexible. I'm good about pushing head through the bar on overhead presses, but when I go wide it gets a little more rough. I have really good core strength overall so once I get the flexibility down I should be able to get some more weight on the bar.

I've seen the sting ray, but never used one. I never really have an easy time learning exercises, but the front squat is something I picked up pretty fast. I think people just aren't used to holding the weight like that, and end up breaking their form. The main thing with front squats is just to keep your torso at 90 degrees all the time. If you end up flexing forward like a standing crunch you're going to dump the bar.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (4)
August 8 2009 5:01 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
you're tall, right? your hands probably need to be almost on the collars. the bar should be 4 inches above your head. do the exercise with no bar or a broomstick to shut the golgi reflex off. you don't need very much flexibility but if the weight feels even a little heavy/ uncomfortable your shoulders will be firing like mad. you should get used to it pretty quickly
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 8 2009 5:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm 6'2". I do them with the bar nearly on the collars now. I have fairly long arms for my height so I don't know how I'd get the bar that low. The other day was the first time I've done the exercise in a long time and I was a little wrecked after squats so next time I will mess them it a lot more.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (4)
August 8 2009 5:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
someone makes a long bar but its probably kind of a silly investment. pudge probably has a little more to add though
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 9 2009 1:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've used a longer bar at a meet for deadlifts, but those are extremely expensive. I don't have gorilla arms or anything so a regular Oly bar is fine. I'm really just more interested in overhead squats for the shoulder stretching and flexibility than any strength stuff, but extra strength is always a nice side effect.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Overhead squats ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Overhead squats

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?