forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA equipment ›› new reply Post Reply
pahulkster

what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 11 2009 2:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Since we are now also the MMA forum I might as well ask about equipment.

What kind of gloves are good for training? I don't really think I need these, but I'm wondering. Also, do you use wraps or what with these?

Where can I get American flag Don Frye trunks? These I actually will order.

Is anyone looking to unload at big heavy bag (100lbs or more) cheap/free haha?

Anything else is open for discussion.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 11 2009 2:47 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
My equipment i use right now are

Headgear: Everlast - bought at Modell's

Gloves: 12 oz Windy Muay Thai - bought from www.muaythaistuff.com ($65)

Wraps: i don't even know the brand name but they cost generally $6 for a pair

Shinguards: CombatSports brand - bought from www.combatsports.com ($50)

Cup: Shock Doctor - bought at www.combatsports.com ($20)

MMA Gloves: CombatSports brand - bought at my gym ($40)

Mouthpiece: Everlast double mouth guard - Modells ($4)

Fight Shorts: Ecko, Tapout, Sinister, Contract Killer, Fairtex (Muay Thai) - all cost roughly $50 but Tapout is now more around $75 for their fight shorts.

As for Don Frye's shorts: I have no idea where to get them. maybe FullContact Fighter makes a pair.

If you are just planning to do pad and bag work you need need a good pair of gloves. The Everlast stuff you can buy at modell's is cheap but you are getting what you pay for. You'll beat the stuffing pretty flat in no time. You are going to want to invest in some quality gloves to last you a long time. I love my Windy gloves. They are a Muay Thai company but boxing gloves are boxing gloves. Fairtex makes nice gloves but they are super expensive, like $100+ on some of their stuff. Everlast does make better stuff but you need to go on their site.

For grappling you could use the 8oz amatuer gloves to do light sparring with mma gloves. they are rounded over like boxing gloves but have the finger holes to allow the grappling. If you really want to go all out Quano obviously makes the best actual MMA gloves. Same company that makes the UFC gloves.

I always use hand wraps or tape if i'm in a fight. I look at this as a must use article of clothing when it comes to hitting bags and pads. Sure you can probably do a session with just your bare hands under the gloves but not much more than that. It has nothing to do with having girl wrists either. All the pros (both MMA and Boxing) use them so there must be a reason.
ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,945 Posts
34/M/PA

online   (7)
August 11 2009 2:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
have you guys heard of the PPM mouthguard....

Pure Power Mouth Guard: "The Pure Power Mouth Guard, also known as PPM, is a revolutionary new technology that allows one to immediately improve balance, flexibility, endurance, and strength. Based on neuromuscular dentistry, the PPM is designed for all sports enthusiasts, ranging from the pro athletes to the dedicated amateur. With hundreds of new athletes adopting it every month, a dedicated network of 300 PPM certified neuromuscular dentists and a growing sales channel, PPM is quickly becoming a revolution in sports performance."

dont see how this works, but i would love to try.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 11 2009 2:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
a mouthguard that improves balance, flexibility, endurance, and strength?

sounds like total bullshit or laced with illegal drugs.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
42/M/NJ

offline   (5)
August 11 2009 2:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:WREN

a mouthguard that improves balance, flexibility, endurance, and strength?

sounds like total bullshit or laced with illegal drugs.

ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,945 Posts
34/M/PA

online   (7)
August 11 2009 2:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah thats what im saying....

how the fuck does a mouthguard improve flexibilitly or endurance, let only other shit.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 11 2009 3:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Right now I use wraps and regular Everlast bag gloves. Gloves have no padding, but it's never really bothered me. The wraps are definitely a necessity for actual bag sessions. I have very strong wrists, but it's still pretty easy to sting them when hitting a heavy bag. I want to get longer wraps, but they won't fit with my current gloves so that I why I'm looking for something else. I'm thinking MMA gloves because you can still grab stuff, and it would be good for doing circuits with bag slams and whatnot.

Are the Quano ones the stuff you see in sports stores that say UFC on them? I'd really rather not get gloves with a big UFC logo on them, but I'd also really prefer to try something on in person.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 11 2009 3:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
and i'm also retarded and always thought the O was Q

click here for link
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 11 2009 3:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
No idea why I just quoted myself haha.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,810 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (10)
August 11 2009 3:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah i have heard of that mouthguard actually...they cost lik $1,500-2,000

it is supposed to fix some kind of misalignment when you have your jaw clenched around it and somehow magically puts your whole body in perfect balance
ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,945 Posts
34/M/PA

online   (7)
August 11 2009 3:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
if it works, thats awesome.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,810 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (10)
August 11 2009 3:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i remembered reading it in a magazine....so i looked in my pile when i saw you post that....there is an article in the July issue of Ultimate MMA.....it still seems ridiculous, but when you read about it some of it makes at least a little sense
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 11 2009 3:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i prefer the old fashion boil and bite myself. Plus i'm constantly losing my mouthpiece by misplacing it. I'd cry like a baby if i lost a $1500 one.
ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,945 Posts
34/M/PA

online   (7)
August 11 2009 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
yeah i just read about it in ESPN mag.

not enough detail, but i got the idea
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
August 12 2009 12:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
are you joining a gym, or just training yourself?
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,729 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 12 2009 1:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If that was for me I'm just training myself right now. It's more about mixing up my workout and improving conditioning than anything. I've always been into self-defense type of fighting and have watched MMA forever so it's something that interests me, but nothing I'd want to do for real. There is nothing even close to me except for a few karate places. I'm not sure how good each one is so I'm going to see what they're about sometime soon. At this point I'd be happy with someone to train with, and that is it.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› MMA equipment ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: MMA equipment

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?