forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› who actually trains for MMA here? ›› new reply Post Reply
Ian G.

Time Husk
5,391 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (8)
August 18 2009 11:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I know Wren does from what I remember reading, just seeing who else actually trains for this. My friend's brother has been going to Tiger Shulman (sp?) for the last year or so and I am pretty interested in it. Everyone I know who trains for this thinks I would do pretty well. How many days does the training usually consist of? Everyone also think i would have to cut a few lbs to get in prime shape for it...i am 6'4 205 (i feel like i could get to a lean 215, but everyone thinks i should cut), How long does the training last before you get to fight (i'm talking on a super amateur level)....... sorry for the rambling i had a few drinks haha
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 18 2009 11:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm looking to join an actual school eventually, but right now I just mess around with different stuff for the hell of it.
Ian G.
Time Husk
5,391 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (8)
August 18 2009 11:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i started out with an interest in boxing (just backyard beatdowns haha) but i wanna get into something more structured and professional
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 18 2009 11:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would really like to do straight BJJ more than anything, but most schools offer a variety. It doesn't seem to be that hard to get into if you are willing to go for it. I've seen some pretty shitty fighters on televised events before. Nothing horrible like Toughman comps, but still no real clear skill level. Find a good school and see how it goes. Most places that I've seen have different types classes everyday.
Bonsai
lol
5,293 Posts
34/F/PA

offline   (10)
August 18 2009 11:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
My brother is still saying that he's going to do toughman comps when he gets off probation in October. He hasn't trained at all in over a year. Kid is going to die.
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
43/M/NJ

offline   (5)
August 19 2009 12:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Bonsai

My brother is still saying that he's going to do toughman comps when he gets off probation in October. He hasn't trained at all in over a year. Kid is going to die.

my favorite type of competitor. Let me know when he fights
JasonNothing
Time Husk
56 Posts
41/M/CA

August 19 2009 1:04 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I trained in Muay Thai for several years under Brandon Vera ( oh shit..droppin names)
but i work to much so have havent trained in a couple years.

But my wife still trains, shes now out of Cleber Jui Jistu/Chute Box
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 19 2009 1:06 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:yantastic

Originally posted by:Bonsai

my favorite type of competitor. Let me know when he fights

At the best of times I think Toughman is horrible. The fights I've seen on tv have been jokes. Guys punch out in about fifteen seconds, and the rounds are only a minute to begin with.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
August 23 2009 10:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you currently weigh 205lbs you might want to consider cutting down to around the 185lb weight classes. Most amateur promotions go by the USKBA's weight classes which would put you around Super Light Heavyweight (175-182.9), Cruiserweight (183-189.9) or Super Cruiserweight (190-194.9). If you are thin though and you want to go in the opposite route you are going to want to put on muscle to bring your bodyweight up to atleast 215-220 to fight at Heavyweight (195-209.9). However if you are worried about the weight cut then i'd look to put on even more muscle weight because Super Heavyweight goes up to 249.9 and will most likely have guys cutting down from atleast 260lbs.

Depending on the shape you are in currently, training will drop your weight anyway so if you are looking to stay up in the pounds i'd also consider lots of heavy lifting and supplementing with weight gainers for a little until your weight is up near the area you want it to be. Obviously stay away from weight gainers if you want to keep the weight down. Personally, i'd rather see you at Cruiserweight or even Super Light Heavyweight if you can make it down to 183lbs. Being that you are 6'4 you are going to be a nightmare to get inside on, chances are you'll have the reach advantage on most of those divisions. I'm glad i don't fight at those weight classes, i'd hate to have to try to get around your reach.

Time frame to get ready for a fight really depends upon the individual. If you have a previous background in martial arts or wrestling prior to training MMA you might be ready faster than someone that has no prior experience. But even without experience you might be what we like to call a sponge and pick up enough to fight an amateur bout in as little as 3 months. It all really depends on you and how much time you put into it. I fought my first 2 Muay Thai fights with less than 5 months experience. My first MMA bouts came about 3 and 5 months later.

For standard training, 2-3 days a week is a good idea. If you are gearing up for a fight i wouldn't suggest going less than 4 days a week. Our fight team puts in normally 5-6 days week when training for a fight unless they work out a schedule with the instructors to allow them to get away with 4 days. And a normal training camp for a fight is 8 weeks. Sometimes they are 10 or 12 and sometimes less depending upon how far out from the fight it gets booked and what the situation is. If you are fighting for a title (amateur or not) you should be doing atleast a 10 week camp. But it's always suggested if you are a competing fighter to stay in shape, you never know when those short notice fights will pop up. I fought a Muay Thai bout on 6 hours notice once because a fighter didn't even show up for weighin's. I was there with my gear and said "fuck it". I lost the fight convincingly but it was good experience in what not to do.

Lastly, i would suggest looking into a different school than TSK. They make great advertisements and have a few decent instructors but they just really made the transition from a Karate school to a MMA school. TSK as a Karate school was just barely more than a McDojo as well. I'm not a fan of them but if they are the only school in your area then you really don't have an option. But if they aren't the only school, try to find one with a history as a MMA or even a Muay Thai or BJJ school. Normally they have a way better foundation underneath them. Do research on the intructors as well.
lord sauron
city of champions
9,020 Posts
37/M/PA

offline   (8)
August 23 2009 6:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i train in muay thai and bjj, but i dont compete in MMA. i have done BJJ competitions though.

i would suggest training for at least a year before thinking about competing.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,780 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
August 23 2009 8:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Wren, any info on Rat Pack Fighting Systems? They aren't too far from me, and seem to have a good handle on things.

click here for link

Their bjj instructor also has a school in Scranton, but Rat Pack is a little closer for me and seems to have a better overall program.
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,851 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
August 23 2009 8:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
matt riddle trained there before goin to arizona combat. He didn't have much positive to say about it, but he seems like kind of a douche
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,851 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
August 23 2009 8:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
matt riddle trained there before goin to arizona combat. He didn't have much positive to say about it, but he seems like kind of a douche
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,851 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
August 23 2009 8:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,851 Posts
34/M/MD

offline     (11)
August 23 2009 9:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
fuck mobile
yantastic
drink fight win
15,048 Posts
43/M/NJ

offline   (5)
August 23 2009 11:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:lord sauron

i train in muay thai and bjj, but i dont compete in MMA. i have done BJJ competitions though.

i would suggest training for at least a year before thinking about competing.

fuck all that overpreparation. you could probably start fighting in three months.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› who actually trains for MMA here? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: who actually trains for MMA here?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?