forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Getting back after a long time off ›› new reply Post Reply
Matti Frost

The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
August 31 2009 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
So, it's been about 5-6 weeks since I lifted. I was doing very well and then, bam, I got trainwrecked and just lost my motivation. Then a few weeks ago I got sick, had to go on antibiotics, and lost about 20 pounds. I'm down to 305 and while I like the lighter bodyweight, I feel weakened from such a rapid loss.

So, I am looking to start training again, going to have to start light and get my muscle memory back. Anyone have any tips for getting back in? I've never been off for this long and I don't want to burn out.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,725 Posts
36/M/PA

online   (1)
September 1 2009 3:25 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
That isn't too long off. You'll bounce back pretty fast if you ease into things. Sometimes doing a completely different routine or style of lifting is nice after a break too because you really switch it up. If you were ramping up before then you will have to lower the weights a lot when you go back. There have been times when I've taken a few weeks off, and couldn't believe how heavy some shit felt with normal working weights.

Now is a good time to address weak points you might have ignored before if you were focusing on specific lifts or numbers. Everybody has them, and it's a good place to start after a break.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
46/M/PA

offline     (25)
September 2 2009 1:46 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Man, I did a light session today, snatches, snatch pulls, and squats, and I'm fuckin' tired!

But it was a good workout. I didn't try to be a hero, just stayed light and worked speed. I'm going to follow this model for a month, and I'll "peak" on the fourth week. Should look like this:

Week 1, light & fast
Week 2, little bit heavier & fast
Week 3, very light & fast, more reps/set
Week 4, heavy singles & doubles, speed variable.

It won't be PR weights, but if I can get myself back to a 85kg snatch, 110kg clean & jerk, and 150kg squat for 3-5, I'll be back in business.

Going to rebuild the clean & jerk too, my jerk has been inconsistent, so I'm going to add more assistance in for that- presses and tricep work to help with the lockout, and plyos to help with the explosiveness and quick feet.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 2 2009 1:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i did a circuit last night for the first time in forever. was [-------] that close to puking.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Getting back after a long time off ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Getting back after a long time off

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?