all threads All Threads ›› shrugs ›› new reply Post Reply
XWHISKEYX

Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
September 16 2009 12:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
How important are they and which is better to do them with; straight bar or dumbells? Also, what is a good weight to start off with?
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,886 Posts
40/M/PA

offline     (23)
September 16 2009 12:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
they are damn good for strength. i'd say go with dumbells, start out light with maybe 40's and work your way up
brian.
new cocks
146,088 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
September 16 2009 12:24 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
do them with a trap bar
ass nipples
old dancing boy
39,404 Posts
35/M/PA

online   (7)
September 16 2009 12:31 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
do them in a trappe bar
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 16 2009 12:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I want my traps to touch the back of my head. Never big enough.
the cat
numetal/juggalo
7,487 Posts
36/M/DC

offline   (5)
September 16 2009 12:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If you decide to use DBs, just don't do them in front of the rack. Das not cool.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,786 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 2:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Shrugs can be used for a few things. The first is as a trap builder, and they are definitely one of the better exercises for that. You can also use them to train explosiveness for power cleans, high pulls, and locking out deadlifts. I prefer a barbell, but dumbells work well too. Just pull straight up and squeeze. Don't roll your shoulders with the weight. The trapezius is a huge muscle so don't just throw in a few sets of shrugs if you want it to grow. Some type of high row like face pulls works well. Deadlifts also put on a lot of trap thickness for me, but not much height.

Shrugs are something you can eventually use a shit ton of weight on, but most people just throw around too much weight for them. Unless you are going for pure explosiveness shrugs are something that work better with higher reps imo. If you can get 405 for 15 good reps your traps should be fairly mountainous.
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
September 16 2009 2:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
wait, 405 lbs? Also, i read that doing the shoulder rolls for shrugs was good, should I avoid that then and just go for dropping my shoulders and then raising them?
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i used to use a bar but now that i'm stuck at home lifting i have to use my dumbells and i do not feel they work as well.
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 16 2009 3:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Shrug your kids.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,786 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I think rolling the shoulders is risky, but a lot of people do it. The trapezius doesn't move the shoulder that way, so it's not really an effective move.

Yes, 405lbs. Four 45s a side. That is a lot of weight, but you really can go heavy on shrugs when you build them up. I don't think I could do that right now, but it is a good benchmark. Remember though that if you are just going for aesthetics weight doesn't mean anything.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
they do not weigh enough
WREN
Pulp Free
52,194 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (20)
September 16 2009 3:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
feed them more.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,786 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:sidney

i used to use a bar but now that i'm stuck at home lifting i have to use my dumbells and i do not feel they work as well.

It's probably just a weight issue. How heavy are your DBs? You can try doing them seated too. It will be more isolating, and you don't need as much weight. Just keep your abs tight so your back doesn't round.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:pahulkster

Originally posted by:sidney

It's probably just a weight issue. How heavy are your DBs? You can try doing them seated too. It will be more isolating, and you don't need as much weight. Just keep your abs tight so your back doesn't round.

huh...i'll try that thanks

Originally posted by:WREN

feed them more.

i hate fat kids
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,786 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
September 16 2009 3:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You can also do farmers walks if you want to creep out your neighbors. Even lighter dumbells will get heavy if you walk a thousand feet with them. These will kill your traps, lats, grip, abs, and most other muscles.
all threads All Threads ›› shrugs ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: shrugs

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?