forum Sports Talk ›› League admits mistake in 4th & 1 spot ›› new reply Post Reply
Joe Boccuto

programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
November 12 2009 11:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
It's rare that they admit things could have been called differently regarding reviewed plays, typically coming up with some obscure rule that justifies controversial calls, so this was interesting...

Pereira admits error in Cowboys-Eagles game
Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2009 7:17 AM ET
When discussing earlier this week his team's inability to win close games, Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb partially blamed the outcome of the most recent narrow loss on an officiating blunder on Sunday night against the Cowboys.

In the online-only bonus portion of his weekly "Official Review" segment on NFL Network's Total Access, league V.P. of officiating Mike Pereira was candid regarding the decision via replay review not to move the ball after McNabb was stopped on a fourth-and-short quarterback sneak during the fourth quarter.

As Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth pointed out during the NBC broadcast, the fact that the play occurred near the midfield Eagles logo made it easy for the referee to identify the precise spot at which the ball should have been placed in advance of a new measurement, in order to determine whether McNabb actually had earned a first down.

Pereira agreed.

"I think I'd move it," Pereira told host Rich Eisen. (Not to be confused with "I think it moved.")

Pereira explained that there was enough evidence on the video to "establish a point" at which the ball could have been placed, in relation to the beak on the bird that has been painted on the grass.

He also said that, without the logo present, the ball could not have been moved. The presence of that point of reference made it easier to re-spot the ball, and then to bring the sticks back out.

"It might have made a difference," Pereira conceded.

And, given the specific circumstances at the time, that might have made a difference in the outcome of the game.

As the league continues to search for the new Mike Pereira, we're hopeful that the next guy has the same willingness to acknowledge areas in which the men in black and white can do a better job.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2009 11:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
probably would have won the game if they had spotted the ball better....
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
November 12 2009 11:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
The Eagles had the lead and were driving the ball relatively well, at the very least they could have given the cowboys less-favorable field position, which is significant because the only scoring drives the Cowboys had were on short fields.

all I'm saying is on a REVIEWABLE call where the Refs have plenty of time to look over every angle of a play, something this blatantly obvious should never happen. Even on the field during the play it was obvious McNabb got the less-than-a-foot that he needed, the spot was clearly awful right from the get go.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
November 12 2009 11:51 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:sidney

yes...it is possible...but over and done and move on.
Metal til Im sixty
listen to neurosis
10,733 Posts
34/M/VA

offline   (10)
November 12 2009 11:53 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
regardless, tell your o-line to push the pile another half a yard and this isn't even an issue.

the way i look at it, if the difference in the game is a bad spot on a 4th and inches call, your team didn't execute it's gameplan well enough to win the football game.

not to mention, roy williams would have had an easy touchdown if asante hadn't blatantly grabbed his arm on that no call, so i guess it's even now.
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
November 12 2009 11:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
the difference between the asante play and the 4th & 1 spot is the spot was reviewed. the evidence was crystal clear, yet the call was not changed. I'm not saying the whole game rested on that call, but it was clearly a momentum shifting call that ended up being wrong.

and as far as the ol, they did exactly what they were supposed to do on a qb sneak. mcnabb did what he was supposed to do and fell forward, the spot was just flat out terrible.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
November 12 2009 12:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Metal til Im sixty

regardless, tell your o-line to push the pile another half a yard and this isn't even an issue.

the way i look at it, if the difference in the game is a bad spot on a 4th and inches call, your team didn't execute it's gameplan well enough to win the football game.

not to mention, roy williams would have had an easy touchdown if asante hadn't blatantly grabbed his arm on that no call, so i guess it's even now.

yeah but a missed call and a missed reviewed play in my mind is quite different. they took the time to look at tape of the play...and still missed the call. yes the Eagles didn't play well enough to win...sure i totally agree but....
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2009 1:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
on the "totem pole" of things that could have happened in this game for the Eagles to win.....this one lists at the bottom of the pole.
ass nipples
old dancing boy
39,411 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (7)
November 12 2009 1:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

LOL
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,823 Posts
43/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2009 1:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Joe Boccuto

the difference between the asante play and the 4th & 1 spot is the spot was reviewed. the evidence was crystal clear, yet the call was not changed. I'm not saying the whole game rested on that call, but it was clearly a momentum shifting call that ended up being wrong.

and as far as the ol, they did exactly what they were supposed to do on a qb sneak. mcnabb did what he was supposed to do and fell forward, the spot was just flat out terrible.

he is referring to the 2 times that had a chance to get 1 stinking yard before that play....yet they failed to do so
Crack Pie
I brought gifts
17,886 Posts
35/M/MD

offline     (11)
November 12 2009 2:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
it blows, but they lost, fuck it move on

i hate nothing more than losing to the cowboys, but it usually doesnt matter by the end of the season when the eagles do well in the playoffs and the cowboys havent won a game in 14 years
Pollcat
afam / aasr 32°
23,565 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
November 12 2009 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by:Craley

by the end of the season when the eagles do well in the playoffs except the super bowl

Metal til Im sixty
listen to neurosis
10,733 Posts
34/M/VA

offline   (10)
November 12 2009 5:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Pollcat

Originally posted by:Craley

by the end of the season when the eagles do well in the playoffs except the super bowl

lol
forum Sports Talk ›› League admits mistake in 4th & 1 spot ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: League admits mistake in 4th & 1 spot

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?