December 29 2009 12:28 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol

DennisQ
who-bah-stank
24,541 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (2)
December 29 2009 5:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have really the utmost admiration of the skill that it takes to golf. I mean, over the summer my buddy and I went Chip & Putt a bunch, and it certainly shed a new light on what it takes to play. And that isn't even a true golf game. I fucking suck at it honestly. With that experience, I had no choice but to chalk it up to a sport. The fact that you can be overweight or smoke or drink while doing it is irrelevant. Im overweight and I play ice hockey with other overweight guys who are old and drink beer before and after the game. I know this guy probably means this on a professional level, but I still think the point can be made.

At least he recognizes the intense skill it takes to play, and isn't totally dismissing it.

Tiger being the best ATHLETE of the decade? Definitely the richest and most popular, but best athleticism is definitely a no.
GLOVESOFCONSTRUCTION
MOST HATED
611 Posts
47/F/CA

offline   (9)
December 29 2009 5:34 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
GOLF IS FOR OLD MEN........ ITS NOT A SPORT... JUST LIKE GODFLESH ISNT A REAL BAND... ITS ONE PERSON
DennisQ
who-bah-stank
24,541 Posts
33/M/NY

offline   (2)
December 29 2009 5:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
They were two people actually.
brian.
new cocks
146,094 Posts
35/M/IL

offline   (9)
December 29 2009 9:56 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
sport
Mariano Rivera
the sandman
36,573 Posts
9/M/NE

offline   (1)
December 29 2009 10:29 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
golf is a waste of time unless you can get drunk on the course

when i hit a ball, some one else should chase it
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
December 29 2009 10:36 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
This is just like the "is cheerleading a sport" argument. I once saw a girl wearing a shirt that said "if you don't think it's a sport, YOU try it"

Here's the thing, something being physically difficult does not make it a sport. Laying blacktop is physically exhausting and difficult, but it's not a sport. The necessity of competition makes something a sport. You can be just as good at golf whether you're playing by yourself or against someone else. You can be just as good at cheerleading if you are cheering for a pop warner football team or if you are in a cheerleading competition. You cannot, however, be better at football or baseball by simply demonstrating the ability to hit or catch or run with a ball, doing it with another team trying to stop you is what makes the difference
Oldest
Slag Off
331 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (3)
December 29 2009 12:40 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
game
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
December 29 2009 2:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
the definition of sport

" an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature"

" physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively"
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
December 29 2009 2:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: LordLuvKnuckle

to swing a Stick with accuracy and then walk to it to repeat the process.

this is the hardest thing about golf...to swing a stick WITH ACCURACY and to REPEAT THE PROCESS

you can hit the ball perfect one time but if you can not repeat that motion with accuracy...that will be the only time in a 4-5 hour round that you hit the ball where you want it to go.
Dave B.
12,352 Posts
7/M/PA

December 29 2009 2:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I guess by definition, it's a sport, still refer to it as a game though. just like I would never classify nascar as a sport.
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (3)
December 29 2009 2:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Regardless, Tiger woods isnt the greatest athlete ever. To put golf on the same level as other sports like football and hockey and skiing is just absurd. Joe Montana can play golf but I dont think Tiger is winning any super bowls any time soon.
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
December 29 2009 2:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DarkHorseDeviant

Regardless, Tiger woods isnt the greatest athlete ever. To put golf on the same level as other sports like football and hockey and skiing is just absurd. Joe Montana can play golf but I dont think Tiger is winning any super bowls any time soon.

and joe montana isn't winning any masters any time soon
Sully624
residentTMLfan
3,472 Posts
33/M/NA

offline   (4)
December 29 2009 3:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
December 29 2009 4:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
"physical activity" is too broad. blowing my nose is a physical activity. I think golf is much more mental than physical. The fact that fat slobs can excel at the game proves that. Also, like I said before, it can be played by yourself and will still require the same amount of skill to be just as successful. To me that's a game, not a sport. To me, this does not take anything away from golfers, just a different classification.
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
December 29 2009 5:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
what other "sports" are considered a non/sport or a game.

nascar
curling
shooting
archery
billiards
bowling
motocross
powerboating
drag racing
sailing
ping pong
bobsled