forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› LA Fitness ›› new reply Post Reply
Ian G.

Time Husk
5,391 Posts
28/M/PA

offline   (8)
January 12 2010 4:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Does anybody go to LA Fitness? What do you think about this place? There is one very close to me and seems like a decent deal, havent checked it out on the inside yet though.
nobodygotstylelikeus
Time Husk
7,916 Posts
M/NA

online   (8)
January 12 2010 5:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Are you talking about the new one in the Providence Center where the Wegmans is?

I know my Sister just joined there and just emailed her to see if there were any deals.
Dianana
8====D
58,383 Posts
31/F/PA

online  mobile reply   (7)
January 12 2010 5:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I know they blow a whistle if you grunt, it's mostly cardio machines and that's all I know.
nobodygotstylelikeus
Time Husk
7,916 Posts
M/NA

online   (8)
January 12 2010 5:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: dianna

I know they blow a whistle if you grunt, it's mostly cardio machines and that's all I know.

thats planet fitness
ALFster
ohh the carnage
1,119 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (11)
January 12 2010 5:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
LA Fatness
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,802 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
January 13 2010 10:20 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
LAFitness and Ballys are basically the same thing. They are commercial gyms so you are going to get a wide range of people that go there. At times i feel like i'm in the middle of a dating gathering because it seems like people are there just to check out the other sex and flirt and then sometimes i feel like im in the middle of a training session for the Mr. Olympia or World's Strongest Man competition.

But for me i really don't get caught up in paying too much attention to those around me. My mission when i go there is to workout and that is it. Occassionally i'll talk to one of the rats for advise or just shoot the shit with the one guy Said. But i put my iPod on and workout. If you go in with the mentality that a "gym's a gym" then almost anywhere you go, aside from Planet Fitness, is a good choice. At that point you should be looking at what they offer for the price they are asking. If they offer shit equipment and terrible ammenities but are asking for a million a year then don't sign up.

I also don't recommend using the services of any of their "personal trainers". 99% of those guys get their certification from a weekend course. It's very rare that you get someone that actually has a legit degree or real certs that works at one of the big gyms. Usually you get your legit trainers at independent gyms.
Dianana
8====D
58,383 Posts
31/F/PA

online   (7)
January 13 2010 10:23 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: nobodygotstylelikeus

Originally posted by: dianna

thats planet fitness

Fuck, my bizzzzzel.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
198,218 Posts
34/M/PA

online     (23)
January 13 2010 10:24 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
if i wanted to get a weak workout i would go here.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,802 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
January 13 2010 10:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
That doesn't make any sense though. As corny as the customers of LAFitness can be, the gyms do offer quite alot in the equipment department. I can get just as good of a workout at LAFitness or Ballys then i can at the YMCA or any Average Joe gym. The only place I couldn't get a good workout in is Planet Fitness because of their stupid Lunk Alarm bullshit.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
198,218 Posts
34/M/PA

online     (23)
January 13 2010 10:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
maybe im getting the two mixed up
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,802 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (19)
January 13 2010 10:35 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Planet is the stupid gym.

LAFitness is basically bally's with a different name.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,197 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (18)
January 13 2010 10:42 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I've been going to LA Fitness for about 9 years now. I like them. The convenience of having so many locations is ideal. I have probably used 5-6 different locations over the years depending on where my work day has landed me. The trainers like WREN said are bullshit. The prices are good and they have an unbelievable amount of equipment.

its worth the money but between 4:30pm and 7pm during the week they are almost unusable with the amount of people that go there. go at off peak times and you will really enjoy it.
latte
Time Husk
403 Posts
F/CT

offline   (17)
January 26 2010 4:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: WREN

Just curious what's wrong with planet fitness. That's where I go. I know it sucks if you're into body building but I just do cardio and use the machines. And I'm pretty weak so I don't see an issue.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
198,218 Posts
34/M/PA

online     (23)
January 26 2010 4:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Blatte

Just curious what's wrong with planet fitness. That's where I go. I know it sucks if you're into body building but I just do cardio and use the machines. And I'm pretty weak so I don't see an issue.

they don't have free weights over 25lbs and they blow a fucking bell at you if you grunt.

if you're not grunting, you fucking doing it wrong
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
11,470 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (2)
January 26 2010 5:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: wiseacre

I liked the place. Good eqipment, clean, nonjudgemental.

I've been to a lot of different gyms, and I don't think I've ever really seen anyone being openly "judgemental". The closest thing is usually from the smallest dudes who try to act hard because they feel insecure, but nobody really cares about what anyone else is doing.
Hallowedbthyname
tekubiforiundo
6,718 Posts
26/M/PA

offline     (2)
January 26 2010 7:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Blatte

Any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a joke...basically any gym that bans any workout is a joke. Also, calling your gym the "judgement free zone" when the entire gym is judging anybody who grunts or likes to push themselves is the definition of hypocritical.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› LA Fitness ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: LA Fitness

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band