forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Cardio and Weights (combined) ›› new reply Post Reply
GLB_saint

GLB_saint
467 Posts
10/M/NA

offline   (5)
January 28 2010 4:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I want to get stacked, iv been trying for years, taking protien and creatine but cardio is holding me back. Whats a good routine to balance it, I know most bodybuilders don't run but I have to be fit aswell, any tips?
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,988 Posts
27/M/CA

offline   (4)
January 28 2010 4:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yeah, get out there and run 3 mornings a week. Just run. Go. Make yourself. Push yourself until you feel like you're going to collapse, then push another half mile. I prefer running outdoors over a treadmill.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
11,487 Posts
31/M/PA

offline   (2)
January 28 2010 4:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Eat more. If you want to run and add size you need to make up for the lost calories.

You can do things like barbell complexes to combine lifting and cardio, but they aren't going to put on muscle like a more serious weight program will.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (4)
February 1 2010 3:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
shorten your rest times between sets, sprint, tabata method anything, very high rep explosive exercises, or barbell complexes. probably in that order but i'm not really the expert. These are all fairly anabolic ways, or at least less catabolic ways to get your heart rate up, increase your cardiovascular health and burn some extra fat.

most people do "cardio" because they read in a magazine or heard from their buddy that they need to. medium intensity long duration exercise really has very little carry over to any other form of fitness and is fairly far from the best method of increasing cardio vascular health. basically running will only make you a better runner, whereas sprinting will make you a better sprinter, a better runner and a better weightlifter.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,194 Posts
31/M/NC

offline   (14)
February 1 2010 3:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I find for big gains the best thing to do is clusters

ex.

get the max weight you can do 10 reps of on the bar or dumbells , do your 10 reps count to 9 seconds cause on 10 your getting back at it to 10 reps again , continue this till you can only 9 ...8...7... im saying do this dont decrease reps unless you cant physically do that number anymore till you cant even do 1 any more....

if you get what im saying... this will not only keep your heart rate maxed but will build mass like hell.
Digital_Satan
Shut Up Bitch!!
1,100 Posts
22/M/SD

offline   (5)
February 1 2010 4:20 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
but u will also get really sore, after a while you'll get used to it.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,988 Posts
27/M/CA

offline   (4)
February 2 2010 12:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kevlar Moneyclips

most people do "cardio" because they read in a magazine or heard from their buddy that they need to. medium intensity long duration exercise really has very little carry over to any other form of fitness and is fairly far from the best method of increasing cardio vascular health. basically running will only make you a better runner, whereas sprinting will make you a better sprinter, a better runner and a better weightlifter.

When I do cardio, I'll generally run between 4-5 miles with random intervals of sprinting twice a week, and I also run stands once a week. I don't do as much as I used to, but when I was training regularly for fights I'd run 3 times a week and run stands twice a week, alternating days. The running with random sprints is great for fight training, because it mimics the cardiovascular strain put on your body during a fight. Most fights have a base pace, and random intervals of increased energy (exchanges). Stands increase your explosive speed, as well as your core and lower body stamina.

But, for someone that's starting out and has shit for cardio, just going out and running is going to be more than enough to see gains. Once you start noticing your cardio increasing, you need to change it up. Your body will become accustomed to the same exercises over and over, and your gains will start decreasing. You have to throw your body some curveballs and mix up your training to keep improving.
Kevlar Moneyclips
Time Husk
3,022 Posts
32/M/NA

offline   (4)
February 2 2010 3:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If i was training for a fight right now, i wouldn't run. I wouldn't want to train to match the base pace. I'd train so that I'd be setting the base pace and I'd set it faster than my opponent was comfortable. My roadwork would be at least fifty percent sprinting, running bleachers, etc. If I'm fighting three minute rounds, its going to be no comfort to me to know that I can keep up an eight minute mile for five miles. I want to be able to perform at balls to the wall strength and speed for the whole fight, and thats how i'd train.

But thats a different thread, the subject at hand is that the kid wants to put weight on but can't because he runs too much. He wants to stay fit and lean. Distance running is extremely catabolic and he needs to cut it out, period, instantly if he wants to start packing on the mass. The size needs to be his first goal, anything detrimental to his first goal needs to go away. That doesn't need to mean keeping fit and lean can't be a strong secondary goal. Sprinting is a fantastic replacement for jogging, knocking rest periods down to maybe 45-60 seconds between sets (less if you're fit enough to lift at high intensity, if not, a minute seems a decent goal to work to over the next month) should let him perform at plenty of intensity for his weight lifting while keeping his heart rate up. Because the real goal for the next six months should be to hit the weights hard and as frequently as possible.
WREN
Nightmare Feddy
48,942 Posts
31/M/PA

online   (19)
February 2 2010 3:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Most of the cardio for a fight is done in intense circuit training which is essentially like sprinting for 3-5 minute rounds with 60-90 seconds rest.

The long runs or multiple rounds of rope we do is more for maintenance than anything. The cardio you need for a fight isn't won in a distance run it's done in intense explosive exercises. Because a distance run burns your cardio in a different way than the explosiveness of a fight would.
Dan Conner
Life Isn't Posi
2,988 Posts
27/M/CA

offline   (4)
February 2 2010 5:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Kevlar Moneyclips

But thats a different thread, the subject at hand is that the kid wants to put weight on but can't because he runs too much. He wants to stay fit and lean. Distance running is extremely catabolic and he needs to cut it out, period, instantly if he wants to start packing on the mass. The size needs to be his first goal, anything detrimental to his first goal needs to go away. That doesn't need to mean keeping fit and lean can't be a strong secondary goal. Sprinting is a fantastic replacement for jogging, knocking rest periods down to maybe 45-60 seconds between sets (less if you're fit enough to lift at high intensity, if not, a minute seems a decent goal to work to over the next month) should let him perform at plenty of intensity for his weight lifting while keeping his heart rate up. Because the real goal for the next six months should be to hit the weights hard and as frequently as possible.

I must have misunderstood the op. When he said cardio was holding him back, I assumed he meant a lack of cardio was holding him back. As for lifting for bulk, I don't know anything about it because I don't do it. I lift for lean muscle without compromising speed or flexibility.
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,194 Posts
31/M/NC

offline   (14)
February 2 2010 6:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i do a great many unhealthy things for mass gain... so im not about to go in depth... ill just say put some weight on your routine as much as you can handle cut the cardio like running for like the other guys said it is extremely catabolic and your not about to take insullin and eat like fuck to counter act that...

go heavy weight low reps at least 5 sets

foucus on the big 3 bench , squats , deadlifts

eat like your a king protein is your friend and you want at least your body weight number in grams of protein consumed each day.
forum Health, Fitness, MMA ›› Cardio and Weights (combined) ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Cardio and Weights (combined)

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band