forum Musicians' Forum ›› why is my shit clipping? a recording question ›› new reply Post Reply
brummy

Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 11:32 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
so im recording my jamz, but it seems like its always clipping and turning into a bunch of bullshit. i have the levels almost all the way down and i still get this disgusting cracking sound. im running my korg + pedals into a bass amp and then running a line from the headphone out into the computer, and everything gets recorded with audacity. do you dudes think i need a mixer or something or am i just doing this wrong?
senraku
Senraku
146 Posts
38/M/PA

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 1:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
could be your computer's sound card on the line input... try plugging a few different things into it, like a cheap radio shack mic with a 1/8" cable) or the output/headphone jack of an ipod or mp3 player and see if it records clean
kilgoretrout
Time Husk
2,832 Posts
30/M/WV

offline     (3)
March 29 2010 1:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i get a lot of clipping with audacity if the levels go to high. other than that, i'm not really sure.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 3:55 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
put a mic on that amp, why the fuck are you taking a headphone out of the amp. more so why are you using an amp just run straight into the computer.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 3:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ElectricTapes

put a mic on that amp, why the fuck are you taking a headphone out of the amp. more so why are you using an amp just run straight into the computer.

for some reason if i go straight to the computer it only records in the left ear. plus, i do this mostly at night when i need to be relatively quiet, so i cant really mic anything, it sucks.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 4:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I have no idea what you even mean. Get a cheap interface and give up on that plugging into the soundcard and all your plroblems should go away.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 5:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
what do you mean, like a cheap recorder or something? or a computer program thats not audacity?
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline  mobile reply   (2)
March 29 2010 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yea audacity can be a super faggot. Used it back in the day. Like 06 steez
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline  mobile reply   (2)
March 29 2010 5:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Grip on a 4track mannn and record to tape!
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 29 2010 5:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: TOOTHPAC SHAKUR

whats a good one? i had a fostex mr8 digital recorder a while back, and that thing was a piece of shit. i just figured if i wanted real good recording quality id have to spend way too much money so i havent fucked with that stuff in a while
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (3)
March 30 2010 4:19 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: brummy

for some reason if i go straight to the computer it only records in the left ear. plus, i do this mostly at night when i need to be relatively quiet, so i cant really mic anything, it sucks.

When you bypass and go straight to computer, you're probably going back to a mono signal. Also, not to insult your intelligence but have you also checked the input levels of the computer itself? More specifically the line-in levels?
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
March 30 2010 4:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: TOOTHPAC SHAKUR

whats a good one? i had a fostex mr8 digital recorder a while back, and that thing was a piece of shit. i just figured if i wanted real good recording quality id have to spend way too much money so i havent fucked with that stuff in a while

get on of those old analog tamtraks.
thats what that 8trakk you might have seen at wolf eyes was that we were using
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (12)
March 30 2010 4:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Record to a mono track in Audacity.
Larry_King
The Unpatriotic
946 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (5)
March 30 2010 5:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I was having a similar issue with my m-audio card in ableton live. I was able to correct the issue by turning off my power saving options in my motherboard bios. what sound card are you using? what operating system and what are your system specs??? also make sure you have all of your equipment plugged into the same outlet to avoid ground looping issues.
Larry_King
The Unpatriotic
946 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (5)
March 30 2010 5:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
The purists will usually say fuck all that computery shit man and go straight analog mic your amp and record that shit to tape. I respectfully disagree with that shit because its so limited in what you can do although it sounds awesome. I would recommend purchasing a cheap mixer (i bought a cheapo 6 channel for 80 bucks sounds great btw) a decent soundcard (i have a pci maudio audiophile for 150 bucks) and find a decent DAW like ableton or some people dig protools but I use ableton live because i can use something called rewire to run a program called reason to get drums and trippy synth shit/samples cued along side tracks I record in ableton. (I FOUND BOTH OF THOSE PROGRAMS ON THE NET FOR FREE) kinda makes for a complete home studio. but if youre slummin for now i would recommend just simply recording your tracks mono into audacity. the reason you get only one channel working is because thats what instruments are is mono only one signal is sent to your computer and thats all you hear unless you change the channel settings in your soundcard control panel like i used to when i only had a creative soundblaster card.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 30 2010 6:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DarkHorseDeviant

When you bypass and go straight to computer, you're probably going back to a mono signal. Also, not to insult your intelligence but have you also checked the input levels of the computer itself? More specifically the line-in levels?

yeah ive made all those levels as low as possible as well.
forum Musicians' Forum ›› why is my shit clipping? a recording question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why is my shit clipping? a recording question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?