forum Musicians' Forum ›› why is my shit clipping? a recording question ›› new reply Post Reply
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
March 30 2010 6:12 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Larry_King

The purists will usually say fuck all that computery shit man and go straight analog mic your amp and record that shit to tape. I respectfully disagree with that shit because its so limited in what you can do although it sounds awesome. I would recommend purchasing a cheap mixer (i bought a cheapo 6 channel for 80 bucks sounds great btw) a decent soundcard (i have a pci maudio audiophile for 150 bucks) and find a decent DAW like ableton or some people dig protools but I use ableton live because i can use something called rewire to run a program called reason to get drums and trippy synth shit/samples cued along side tracks I record in ableton. (I FOUND BOTH OF THOSE PROGRAMS ON THE NET FOR FREE) kinda makes for a complete home studio. but if youre slummin for now i would recommend just simply recording your tracks mono into audacity. the reason you get only one channel working is because thats what instruments are is mono only one signal is sent to your computer and thats all you hear unless you change the channel settings in your soundcard control panel like i used to when i only had a creative soundblaster card.

i have no clue what the hell my computer has in it. all that home studio stuff sounds cool, but id loooooooove to not sink more money into my computer. plus, i dont really need anything too fancy right now, just wanna get the job done and move on, you know. probably gonna cop a fairly cheap recorder. thanks for the help, dudes.
baconanddrugs
I got nothing.
5,878 Posts
36/M/PA

offline     (2)
April 5 2010 10:25 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Larry_King

The purists will usually say fuck all that computery shit man and go straight analog mic your amp and record that shit to tape. I respectfully disagree with that shit because its so limited in what you can do although it sounds awesome. I would recommend purchasing a cheap mixer (i bought a cheapo 6 channel for 80 bucks sounds great btw) a decent soundcard (i have a pci maudio audiophile for 150 bucks) and find a decent DAW like ableton or some people dig protools but I use ableton live because i can use something called rewire to run a program called reason to get drums and trippy synth shit/samples cued along side tracks I record in ableton. (I FOUND BOTH OF THOSE PROGRAMS ON THE NET FOR FREE) kinda makes for a complete home studio. but if youre slummin for now i would recommend just simply recording your tracks mono into audacity. the reason you get only one channel working is because thats what instruments are is mono only one signal is sent to your computer and thats all you hear unless you change the channel settings in your soundcard control panel like i used to when i only had a creative soundblaster card.

This is retarded...buy a cheap interface, like an m-audio or something. Something that connects either fire wire or usb and lets you run 1/4 inputs into your computer and has preamps, then everything will sound fine. There is no need for an external mixer.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
April 5 2010 10:57 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
well im kind of opposed to anything that relies on the computer/its soundcard, but if it's significantly better, i might have to break down and try one of those interface jawns. for now though, i kind of have my sights set on a tascam dp-004 and a cheap 4 channel mixer. (if i do live shows at some point in the future, im gonna want an external mixer anyway). i dont know though, the tascam uses an sd card, and i remember that being a pain in the ass when i had my old fostex mr-8
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
April 6 2010 2:16 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
get a 1/4"-1/8" adapter and plug direct into yr macbook and use garage band. virtually noiseless. like i said, using amps for this stuff is pretty pointless.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
April 6 2010 10:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: 3,000 piece McNugget

get a 1/4"-1/8" adapter and plug direct into yr macbook and use garage band. virtually noiseless. like i said, using amps for this stuff is pretty pointless.

audacity sucks, i dont like garageband

^remember when i said that on facebook? still true. i dont like garageband.
and, with the method you suggested, id still be recording mono when i wanna be recording stereo so i can do cool stuff with panning. id still be relying on my computer's subpar soundcard, so the quality of my recordings still wouldn't be any better than the bullshit that they are now. also, if i got that dp-004, i wouldnt use my amp anymore. id just run everything though the mixer.
Mechanical Birds
i am the sun
11,979 Posts
30/M/WV

offline   (1)
April 6 2010 4:41 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i see. i use garage band and can do stuff with panning, but i prefer mono; you have everything on top of it'sself so it sounds really centered. i found garage band super easy to use, sucks yr having problems with it.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
April 6 2010 5:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: 3,000 piece McNugget

i see. i use garage band and can do stuff with panning, but i prefer mono; you have everything on top of it'sself so it sounds really centered. i found garage band super easy to use, sucks yr having problems with it.

it also sounds boring/possibly overwhelming if you ever want to listen to it through headphones, which is how music should be listened to for the most part.

im not having problems with garageband, i just dont like it. same with audacity; they both make my shit sound disgusting. thanks for assuming i didnt know how to use it though
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
May 10 2010 8:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
TOOTHPAC SHAKUR
master quoter
30,897 Posts
33/M/OH

offline   (2)
May 10 2010 8:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
get one of those, they are the shittttt
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
May 10 2010 9:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: TOOTHPAC SHAKUR

get one of those, they are the shittttt

ah i just got that tascam dp-004. the thing eats batteries so i havent been able to use it as much, but it works great so far
forum Musicians' Forum ›› why is my shit clipping? a recording question ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: why is my shit clipping? a recording question

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?