forum Sports Talk ›› Gocong and Sheldon Brown to Cleveland Browns ›› new reply Post Reply
Joe Boccuto

programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
happening soon. Either for a pick and a starter-caliber player, or multiple picks and a backup. Being reported in both Cleveland and Philly.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
April 2 2010 12:06 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Brown & Gocong for Alex Hall and 2 draft picks (4th & 5th round)
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
April 2 2010 12:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
goodbye sheldon...i will remember this for the rest of my life.

Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
With Sheldon leaving I really want to see a CB come in the McNabb trade. Jackson needs to be healthy, same with Hanson.
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
so McNabb and Akers are the only players on the team over 30 now. Akers more than likely stays, but there's an outside shot that Leonard Weaver will be the oldest player on our team this year.
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
oh forgot Juqua, but he could be gone too
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:26 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
So it basically works out that we trade our backup SLB for their backup SLB and Sheldon for 4th and 5th picks. Meh. These picks will probably be packaged up somehow to move up. Would have liked to just re-sign Sheldon.
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
April 2 2010 12:35 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Joe Boccuto

Would have liked to just re-sign Sheldon.

YEP
Joe Boccuto
programmatic
25,747 Posts
37/M/PA

offline     (20)
April 2 2010 12:48 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: SpaceCowboy

i just read that gocong was gonna resing for a year YESSTERDAY!

no, he signed his one-year restricted free-agent tender yesterday, making him eligible to be traded.

When a player is a restricted free agent (after their rookie contract has expired, but before the player has been in the league 6 years [normally 4 but due to no salary cap this year the rules are different]) the team that drafted them is allowed to place a tender on them at a price. What the tender does is makes it so if another team signs a restricted free agent, the signing team owes the original team a draft pick, if the original team chooses not to meet the terms of the new team's contract (which they have 7 days to do). The salary a restricted free agent is offered is dependent upon the level at which they are tendered. The highest tender, which requires a 1st and 3rd round pick as compensation to the original team, comes with the highest salary (I believe it is the average of the 10 highest paid players at a respective player's position). The lowest tender, which involves no compensation but only a right of first refusal (aka the right to match the offer) carries a much lower salary.

This is why free agency has not been a big deal for any teams (besides Chicago) this year. The best, youngest "available" players all cost a 1st and a 3rd, and it's even a pain in the ass to sign some marginal talent. Many more trades happening this offseason as a result.

Anyway, a player who has not yet signed their tender (they have until July to do so, during which time they are not technically under contract from any team) cannot be traded, because they have no contract to trade.

Now that Gocong signed, he could be traded. He likely signed because he knew this was coming, and knew that he'd likely sign a decent extension in Cleveland as a 3-4 pass rushing LB instead of being forced into coverage like he was here in a 4-3
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (3)
April 2 2010 1:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
It was time to move Sheldon. As solid as he is, all the offenses in the NFC East are getting very young and very fast.
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
April 3 2010 12:18 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
found this online...makes sense.

#Eagles trade Chris Gocong and Sheldon Brown to the Browns for 4th and 5th round picks and Alex Hall.

My take.....

People were thrown off when the Eagles drafted Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard, when they still had 2 perfectly great CB's in Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor. Vincent's last productive year for Philly was 2002 when he was 31. Bobby Taylor's last good season was also in 2002 and he was only 28. Sheldon Brown just turned 31. Yeah, he had 5 picks last year, a career high, but the guy only had 5 total picks in the 3 years prior to that. The Eagles have known when to cut ties with a player and Sheldon has not been happy in Philly for almost a couple of years now. Sheldon has been a solid corner, but at some point age catches up with you and the Eagles are banking on it's this year. They have been right far more often than not in evaluating when a player is past his prime. This trade to me says a few things.

1. The Eagles are about to trade McNabb, this makes it almost a lock in my eyes.
2. The Eagles now have 10 picks in the draft, possibly 11 once the McNabb deal goes through including 2 third rounders and 2 fourth rounders, I smell a trade up.
3. Alex Hall is set to make over 300,000.00, while Brown and Gocong (who really only fits the 3-4 scheme that Cleveland runs and Heckert as the new Browns GM and former Eagles GM knows well) are set to make over 3 Million.
4. Nnamdi and Mcnabb's salaries are a wash, so if the Eagles do the deals, they basically make 3 Million on the move and put themselves in a great position to get another star player packaging picks and moving up in the draft.

I love the deal. Gocong didn't fit, Brown is likely on the downside of his career. We save money and get more picks to package and continue to build a strong young team. Andy and crew have done it right for a decade now and I have no doubt they know how to maintain a successful NFL franchise.
The Ultimate Warrior
FTW Champion
20,619 Posts
32/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 3 2010 12:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm hoping this means Asomugha.
Peter SteeleyDan
HatesMostThings
19,190 Posts
7/M/NA

offline   (1)
April 3 2010 12:31 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ..::localeye::..

Originally posted by: Joe Boccuto

Would have liked to just re-sign Sheldon.

YEP

DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (3)
April 3 2010 12:41 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: ..::localeye::..

found this online...makes sense.

#Eagles trade Chris Gocong and Sheldon Brown to the Browns for 4th and 5th round picks and Alex Hall.

My take.....

People were thrown off when the Eagles drafted Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard, when they still had 2 perfectly great CB's in Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor. Vincent's last productive year for Philly was 2002 when he was 31. Bobby Taylor's last good season was also in 2002 and he was only 28. Sheldon Brown just turned 31. Yeah, he had 5 picks last year, a career high, but the guy only had 5 total picks in the 3 years prior to that. The Eagles have known when to cut ties with a player and Sheldon has not been happy in Philly for almost a couple of years now. Sheldon has been a solid corner, but at some point age catches up with you and the Eagles are banking on it's this year. They have been right far more often than not in evaluating when a player is past his prime. This trade to me says a few things.

1. The Eagles are about to trade McNabb, this makes it almost a lock in my eyes.
2. The Eagles now have 10 picks in the draft, possibly 11 once the McNabb deal goes through including 2 third rounders and 2 fourth rounders, I smell a trade up.
3. Alex Hall is set to make over 300,000.00, while Brown and Gocong (who really only fits the 3-4 scheme that Cleveland runs and Heckert as the new Browns GM and former Eagles GM knows well) are set to make over 3 Million.
4. Nnamdi and Mcnabb's salaries are a wash, so if the Eagles do the deals, they basically make 3 Million on the move and put themselves in a great position to get another star player packaging picks and moving up in the draft.

I love the deal. Gocong didn't fit, Brown is likely on the downside of his career. We save money and get more picks to package and continue to build a strong young team. Andy and crew have done it right for a decade now and I have no doubt they know how to maintain a successful NFL franchise.

It seems to make some sense. My only hope is that IF they do move McNabb, that Kolb is going to get the job done. If not, we have to hope Vick somehow turned into a real QB while he was in prison.
forum Sports Talk ›› Gocong and Sheldon Brown to Cleveland Browns ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Gocong and Sheldon Brown to Cleveland Browns

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?