forum Politics and Society ›› If 1,000 white males rampaged through a city... ›› new reply Post Reply
Ernest Hemingway
still a moron
949 Posts
30/M/IL

offline   (4)
April 26 2010 2:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
saw this on a blog today. made me think of this topic. what if the tea partiers were black?

"Imagine that hundreds of black protesters were to descend upon Washington DC and Northern Virginia, just a few miles from the Capitol and White House, armed with AK-47s, assorted handguns, and ammunition. And imagine that some of these protesters -the black protesters - spoke of the need for political revolution, and possibly even armed conflict in the event that laws they didn't like were enforced by the government? Would these protester - these black protesters with guns - be seen as brave defenders of the Second Amendment, or would they be viewed by most whites as a danger to the republic? What if they were Arab-Americans? Because, after all, that's what happened recently when white gun enthusiasts descended upon the nation's capital, arms in hand, and verbally announced their readiness to make war on the country's political leaders if the need arose.

Imagine that white members of Congress, while walking to work, were surrounded by thousands of angry black people, one of whom proceeded to spit on one of those congressmen for not voting the way the black demonstrators desired. Would the protesters be seen as merely patriotic Americans voicing their opinions, or as an angry, potentially violent, and even insurrectionary mob? After all, this is what white Tea Party protesters did recently in Washington."
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
April 26 2010 6:23 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
^ Very good point.
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,181 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 26 2010 7:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
soooo..the Tea Party people are racist as well is what your saying?
lottery hypnosis
Prof. Mammalchicke
2,064 Posts
11/M/PA

offline   (3)
April 26 2010 8:51 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: sidney

soooo..the Tea Party people are racist as well is what your saying?

a lot of them are, actually. look, i'm not saying there aren't a few decent, sincere people sprinkled among those white mobs, but even if they can't admit it to themselves, you wouldn't have such motivated, vitriolic crowds like that if a white democrat had won in '08 and was doing the exact same things as obama.

for a lot of older white people, it "just doesn't feel right" having a black president. for some, many of whom don't consider themselves racist, it's as strong a psychological reflex as sexual orientation. think about it like this: imagine if you woke up next to a man instead of your wife one morning, and then were told he was going to be sleeping in your bed for the next 4 years. well, for a lot of white people in this country, it feels like they woke up with a black man in their bed two novembers ago and he hasn't left. lol
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,181 Posts
41/M/PA

offline   (1)
April 27 2010 8:26 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
i don't believe that overall

the word racist is thrown around these days WAY too easy and used where it should not be. Are the Tea Party People off their rockers, paranoid and out there with their thinking? Yes i think they are

but racist is not what i would call them. Most of them just do not want to be taxed more and their guns taken away.....which is not happening but for some reason they believe it is.
planet of the apes
no.
3,876 Posts
34/M/NJ

offline   (6)
April 27 2010 11:22 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (4)
April 27 2010 11:37 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

the word racist is thrown around these days WAY too easy and used where it should not be. Are the Tea Party People off their rockers, paranoid and out there with their thinking? Yes i think they are

but racist is not what i would call them. Most of them just do not want to be taxed more and their guns taken away.....which is not happening but for some reason they believe it is.

These people refuse to believe the fact that 95% of the country got a tax cut (federal income tax is at the lowest rate in 26 years or something), and all the people protesting last week with their guns in a national park were only able to do so because Obama actually LOOSENED restrictions on guns. And you don't think it's remotely possible that for some of these people the reason could be because it's a black guy with the middle name Hussein? I definitely don't think all of them think that way...but for a lot of people it's just foreign to them.

Sorry, but this country hasn't changed all that much in the last year and a half. Yet 3 months into his presidency there were people crying (literally crying) that they "want their country back." As if it's in some way unrecognizable to them...and there was really only one big change that had taken place at that point...the color of the guy in charge.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,510 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
April 27 2010 12:38 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

I don't think it is open racism, but it is to a great degree subconsciously racist in origin. This continual belief that everything Obama does is meant to somehow harm the country as well as all these protests against government which came about only at this time under this president are somewhat , I believe, motivated by fear and distrust of black men.
Russhington D.C.
swallows loads
116 Posts
20/F/NA

August 16 2017 4:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Kev_in
One falls off
2,230 Posts
36/M/PA

offline  mobile reply   (6)
August 16 2017 8:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Here's a grilled meatball & cheese sandwich I made and am eating

Dickscraper
dickacraper
25,374 Posts
30/M/IL

offline  mobile reply   (11)
August 16 2017 8:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Mmm
forum Politics and Society ›› If 1,000 white males rampaged through a city... ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: If 1,000 white males rampaged through a city...

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?