forum Musicians' Forum ›› promotion ›› new reply Post Reply
brummy

Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
June 6 2010 3:34 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I know this site is a really good alternative to myspace and all that, but what else do you guys use to get the word out about your band or solo project? I have a bandcamp, a profile on here, and I use a tumblr page for updates, news, etc, but it seems like I'm only reaching the same few people. I really wanna get my stuff heard by as many as possible, I just don't really know where to go from here.
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (2)
June 6 2010 3:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Don't care and it'll solve it's self.
mrdtb123
crack skat
1,880 Posts
30/M/SC

offline   (2)
June 6 2010 3:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Purevolume.com I have so much fucking trouble with PV though. That is one thing I like about PAHC it's a lot more user friendly than some of the bigger sites out there. Brickhouse has really done an amazing job with this site.
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (3)
June 8 2010 12:27 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
IF THE SITE EXISTS, PUT YOUR BAND ON IT.

Myspace, Facebook, PureVolume, Bandmix, GarageBand, etc.. don't pick and choose, use all of them. If you are serious about marketing your band, you try to reach as many ears as possible.
..::localeye::..
Bird watcher
11,208 Posts
44/M/FL

offline   (18)
June 8 2010 12:50 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DarkHorseDeviant

IF THE SITE EXISTS, PUT YOUR BAND ON IT.

yep
GoodTimesGone
cubic time cube
51,395 Posts
44/F/ND

offline   (57)
June 8 2010 1:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

don't pick and choose, use all of them.

this isn't necessarily true, targeted marketing is often much more effective than blanket efforts. know your audience, or who you would like your audience to be ideally, and target sites that cater to them. i sent my band's first demo to two websites, one of those websites reviewed it favorably and everything took off from there. everything after that was word of mouth and people sharing the demo, which we put up for free on our myspace.

word of mouth is probably the most important aspect of getting your band out there, people are much more likely to check out a band based on the recommendation of a friend (or blog) that they trust as opposed to music sites that just recycle blurbs from press releases. ultimately, it comes down to how good your band is and the quality of the songs. if you're a good band and can get a favorable review or "band of the week" write-up by a website or blog that people trust, word of mouth will take over and build exposure.
brummy
Time Husk
1,682 Posts
31/M/WV

offline     (2)
June 8 2010 1:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: GoodTimesGone

this isn't necessarily true, targeted marketing is often much more effective than blanket efforts. know your audience, or who you would like your audience to be ideally, and target sites that cater to them. i sent my band's first demo to two websites, one of those websites reviewed it favorably and everything took off from there. everything after that was word of mouth and people sharing the demo, which we put up for free on our myspace.

word of mouth is probably the most important aspect of getting your band out there, people are much more likely to check out a band based on the recommendation of a friend (or blog) that they trust as opposed to music sites that just recycle blurbs from press releases. ultimately, it comes down to how good your band is and the quality of the songs. if you're a good band and can get a favorable review or "band of the week" write-up by a website or blog that people trust, word of mouth will take over and build exposure.

yeah, that's a really good idea. ive been thinking about getting some new recordings and sending them to smaller labels and blogs and shit.
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
36/M/NA

offline   (3)
June 9 2010 11:46 AM   QuickQuote Quote  

While I can agree with this, I'm not sure how it makes my statement untrue. There are less than a dozen major websites that have a huge music market. (Myspace and GarageBand are still in the top 5). Not everybody uses all of them, but they are all used nonetheless. You can reach your "target audience" and beyond at any given site. This can be done in congruence with everything you said. And if I have to take time out of my day to add a few demos to all these sites to get a few more fans, I have no problem with that. I'll exhaust every angle I can think of. And like you said, if the music/band is good, it'll practically take care of itself as long as its finding its way to peoples' ears.
GoodTimesGone
cubic time cube
51,395 Posts
44/F/ND

offline   (57)
June 9 2010 4:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
My wording was incorrect, I should have said that I disagree with your suggestion of using every site. I'm usually a stickler for semantics, too

Anways, I believe that it was a much better use of my time to write a personalized note and snail mail it with a copy of my demo to an editor at Punk News than it would have been to set up an account on every single social networking/music site with an embedded media player.
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
213,860 Posts
39/M/PA

offline     (23)
June 9 2010 4:42 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

and also totally ignore a site you have posted on for years and instead stick with a overblown bloated corporate monstrosity to host your music on
GoodTimesGone
cubic time cube
51,395 Posts
44/F/ND

offline   (57)
June 9 2010 5:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Like I said, I'll throw up MP3s when I have them. All I have now are uncompressed masters that are 100mb each.

Also

aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
31/M/NA

offline   (1)
June 9 2010 5:36 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
last.fm surely?
Aunt_Pee
mr. birthdaysex
8,637 Posts
36/M/NC