forum Musicians' Forum ›› Guitar techies...help. ›› new reply Post Reply
Venicebeachxc

Atty at law
3,980 Posts
37/M/FL

offline   (2)
June 17 2010 12:52 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I bought a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard today from a buddy, but he wanted to keep the pickups. I said okay, got the guitar for $600 less than what he was asking without the pickups, and threw in a couple Epiphones... in the bridge is an Epiphone Hotch G. Now I have a problem. I can't rig this thing up to my stacks (ANY OF THEM!) without a horrendous screeching squeal coming through. Should I get new pots? Should I just rewire? Install Duncans? What do you think? I may try potting the pickups with parafin and beeswax, but I dunno.
DeadlyHandSammich
creepin on you
3,302 Posts
37/M/NA

offline   (3)
June 19 2010 9:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I would rewire AND install my own preferred pickups regardless.

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but did you check to see if its grounded properly?
Gisty
Swoop The Dang
4,908 Posts
38/M/PA

offline   (3)
June 19 2010 10:39 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: DarkHorseDeviant

I would rewire AND install my own preferred pickups regardless.

Also, not to insult your intelligence, but did you check to see if its grounded properly?

I would strongly reccomend the same. Check everything and make sure that's all kosher. Also I would purchase new pickups and pots because you will thank yourself later if you plan on keeping the instrument for a long time. I've always done the same with anything I buy guitar wise that isn't a newer make/model. Good luck
Illgottengain
Time Husk
141 Posts
35/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 3 2010 3:15 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Sounds like it could be a bad soldering job. Rewire and resolder.
Less
sofaKINGhigh
1,032 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline     (1)
August 19 2010 6:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
If the wires and pots are original Gibson, leave them. Put Seymour duncan 59 in the neck and a SH4 in the bridge (also known as the Jeff Beck humbucker).. Make sure your grounds and connections are good. Shred.
Venicebeachxc
Atty at law
3,980 Posts
37/M/FL

offline   (2)
September 14 2010 6:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Everything was fine, the pickups just needed to be repotted with wax. Did it with a Bed Bath and Beyond candle and they work like new but smell like roses. Thank you for the help.
forum Musicians' Forum ›› Guitar techies...help. ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Guitar techies...help.

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?