forum Musicians' Forum ›› Big muff russian/sovtek? ›› new reply Post Reply
BEERZEBUB

C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
31/M/OH

offline   (9)
July 28 2010 2:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
to those in the know, is there a noticeable difference between the Russian/Sovtek versions of the big muff pedal compared to the typical silver big muff you see at like guitar center? I ask because there is definitely a big difference in price and I'm wondering if that's just due to novelty reasons or if it (russian) actually produces a more desirable sound. Also I've seen the Russian one in both black and green?

ass nipples
old dancing boy
38,987 Posts
34/M/PA

online   (7)
July 28 2010 2:28 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
muff
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,134 Posts
35/F/PA

offline   (14)
July 28 2010 2:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I only clicked on this because it said big muff.
Nicholas Steinborn
hurfablurf
8,050 Posts
32/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (12)
July 28 2010 2:37 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
There are tons of different muff circuits. The early ones weren't consistent with component values because they would just grab whatever was close.

Black russian muffs are a newer reissue of the big green one, but they aren't the same really. Big green ones have more midrange. Silver ones had a bunch of different circuits in them over the years, but the newest ones are decent. More scooped and smoother sounding, but easily modified. Word is that the new XO series bass big muff is very similar to the old big green ones.

There's a lot of info about muff circuits out there. Might want to read up a bit.. or say fuck it and just buy one.
Riff610
fear no evil
2,590 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (7)
July 28 2010 10:44 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i have used all of the modern units and my favorite by far is the one i currently use which is the EHX English Muff'n

2 12ay7 tubes driving a plexi circuit. it's by far the best of the lot.

only one store in the area has it, unless you're ordering offline. if you want the store, contact me.

forum Musicians' Forum ›› Big muff russian/sovtek? ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Big muff russian/sovtek?

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?