forum Musicians' Forum ›› dudes/chicks in bands ›› new reply Post Reply
RazorRamon

15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 16 2010 12:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
this forum doesnt see a lot of action, so i have a query for all you musical types/

personally, i have always struggled with the literal writing out of parts, because when i come back to it i either a.) cant understand what i wrote or b) can never duplicate the original idea. lately what ive been doing is programming out drum beats on a drum machine program for my computer then using the microphone port and a tiny guitar amp to record everything else on audacity. so far its been working pretty well despite the fact im not a very good guitar player.

when youre coming up with ideas for your band, how do you go about saving them? do you write it out, or do you record it?
xAJDELAWAREx
Oh this site?
42,302 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (5)
August 16 2010 12:04 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
During my brief stint in a band, we tended to video tape practices, just so we never lost any of the ideas. I mean it was piss poor quality and most of the time it was pointing at the guitar player, but it was at lest a jump off point.
kyle_n
cumb0ner
14,013 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (5)
August 16 2010 12:08 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i've never been the primary writer in any projects i've been in. but i've heard of a lot of bands using TabIT. I know some people who use portable recorders. and some people who would record it on garage band.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,235 Posts
9/M/PA

offline     (5)
August 16 2010 12:09 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I use audacity and I have this usb guitar cable that I record riffs with. It doesn't sound the best because my setup and computer sucks, but it's enough for the band to practice to. I also scribble the tab out or sometimes use powertab. Our other guitarist who is absurdly good and plays circles around me also helps with tabbing new songs because he understands music a lot better than I do and can tab properly. I took drum lessons for years and approach everything from that mindset. Thankfully for that, if I have to program any drums for reference I can usually do fairly well with it. What drum program do you use?
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 16 2010 12:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
ive audio recorded practices a few times using the mic on my mp3 player, but it gets irritating sometimes to listen to with all the stopping/starting that is natural when it comes to band practice.

ive always felt like i come up with my best song ideas when im not at band practice or with other members of the band. ideas for riffs just pop into my head when im at work/on the john/doing other stuff where im not standing there with an amp plugged in to some sort of stringed music making device. im pretty sure im not the only one who has this issue. if i can remember the idea long enough at least now i can figure out how to play it when i get home, record it, then build upon it so i can show the idea to others.
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 16 2010 12:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: xMAIDENx

I use audacity and I have this usb guitar cable that I record riffs with. It doesn't sound the best because my setup and computer sucks, but it's enough for the band to practice to. I also scribble the tab out or sometimes use powertab. Our other guitarist who is absurdly good and plays circles around me also helps with tabbing new songs because he understands music a lot better than I do and can tab properly. I took drum lessons for years and approach everything from that mindset. Thankfully for that, if I have to program any drums for reference I can usually do fairly well with it. What drum program do you use?

the program i use now is called hydrogen drum machine. its a linux native beat making program, that actually sounds surprisingly like an actual drum kit. i dont know if its available for windows/mac, but its made me a lot more productive from a musical standpoint.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,235 Posts
9/M/PA

offline     (5)
August 16 2010 12:14 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I had a friend that kept a recorder with him and he would hum and riffs he had in his head while he was at work. When he got home he would figure out how to play it.
Ron Shark
Time Husk
27,235 Posts
9/M/PA

offline     (5)
August 16 2010 12:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Marty610

Originally posted by: xMAIDENx

the program i use now is called hydrogen drum machine. its a linux native beat making program, that actually sounds surprisingly like an actual drum kit. i dont know if its available for windows/mac, but its made me a lot more productive from a musical standpoint.

Nice. I've never heard of it. I use beatcraft and pcdrummer.
hanszimmer
breeze 'em out
21,316 Posts
35/M/NY

offline   (7)
August 16 2010 12:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i switch to a clean channel and record the riff on my phone. i've been using this ghetto method for a couple years. works just fine.
John Barlow
Vodka Party
17,778 Posts
68/M/PA

offline  mobile reply     (15)
August 16 2010 12:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Never bring an idea to the band room until it is at least semi-finished. I like to at least have a verse and chorus memorized and repeated enough on my own that I don't forget it after I put the guitar down. When I feel like it is enough content to introduce to the rest of the boys, we bring and they add all the nuiances.
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 16 2010 12:21 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
click here for link
drum machine program, looks like they have a version for MAC and an unstable version for pc.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 16 2010 1:43 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Learn to write/read standard notation, or at least use timing for tabs. Before I was able to record at home I'd use Guitar Pro, or just write it on paper.
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 16 2010 1:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
using the drum machine is forcing me to count it out, and it some weird way it taught me how to play real drums too kinda
TheOtherGodhead
N.I.L.
11,730 Posts
35/M/PA

offline     (2)
August 16 2010 7:30 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Record it, he has a digital recorder that I can't remember what it is right now. We don't spend a lot of time on songs(Like six hours at most for one.) but we go back and edit them sometimes.
riggard
Time Cubin'
6,281 Posts
32/M/PA

offline     (7)
August 16 2010 8:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I record riffs straight into garage band line in. The program is pretty basic, but works well to get ideas down. for drum ideas I'll sometimes play the drums out on a casio keyboard.

recording definitely helps though, you can only remember so much shit.
XWHISKEYX
Old Head
39,027 Posts
62/M/NA

offline   (23)
August 16 2010 11:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
when I did the band thing we each brought ideas to practice and just fucked with them until we got something we liked. we did a lot of tab to practice shit at home and we also used to record a lot with a cheap 4 track which helped.
forum Musicians' Forum ›› dudes/chicks in bands ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: dudes/chicks in bands

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?