forum Musicians' Forum ›› dudes/chicks in bands ›› new reply Post Reply
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 17 2010 1:58 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
one small issue i have been having is the fact that im having a hard time with everything sounding like its on time in the recording. i thought it was me being a terrible guitar player for a while but i think something is going wrong during the recording.

does anyone know if this could be from a) using the microphone input or b) not having enough memory c) needing a better sound card.
pahulkster
what cha gonna do
12,801 Posts
36/M/PA

offline   (1)
August 17 2010 2:03 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
You can definitely have latency issues with either the actual recording or with your monitoring. Could be a hardware or software issue really. Do you have a drum track, click, or anything to keep time?

I recently got a Line 6 POD Studio UX2, and it's awesome for using your guitar through the computer. Comes with extra software, and the recording works really well.
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 17 2010 2:11 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: pahulkster

You can definitely have latency issues with either the actual recording or with your monitoring. Could be a hardware or software issue really. Do you have a drum track, click, or anything to keep time?

I recently got a Line 6 POD Studio UX2, and it's awesome for using your guitar through the computer. Comes with extra software, and the recording works really well.

im using a drum track that i programmed then imported into audacity.
Less
sofaKINGhigh
1,032 Posts
36/M/NJ

offline     (1)
August 18 2010 10:21 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
I use youtube. Just make a quick video, that way i see and hear what i wrote.
Riff610
fear no evil
2,590 Posts
34/M/PA

offline     (7)
August 19 2010 1:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
typically when i write material i'll write it in sections and go by my rule that if i can forget it once, so can a listener.

i come up with riffs on the spot and usually it sticks, if it doesn't, it's irrelevant because i'll never play it again.
joe vena
BODYROTT
4,621 Posts
30/M/PA

offline     (6)
August 19 2010 2:22 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
i also just use a line in and a pedal into audacity. i have a piss poor memory so i can't remember shit unless i record it right away. i can't count on two hands how many riffs have slipped through my fingers because i was at work or something when they popped into my head.

as for your latency issue, i have the same problem sometimes. i play to a click when i record things through audacity and even then it sometimes comes out off time. i think it might just be the quality of the program. it is free software, after all.
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 19 2010 2:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
true, or it could be the fact that were both using the the same input method. i doubt the microphone input on my pc is the optimal connection for digital recording.
Matti Frost
The Winter's Wrath
7,923 Posts
47/M/PA

offline     (25)
August 21 2010 2:59 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
It all starts with something I hear in my head. The first thing I have to do is make sure it's not something I'm remembering from somewhere else. Usually, though, I know. Then, if I can get to a guitar I'll try to write it out. If I can play it a few times, I'll remember it.

Writing songs became a lot easier when I got Drumkit From Hell. The first Frost Giant demos are... rough. After DKFH, though, we were able to bounce the DKFH files to WAV format and dump them into Garage Band. Then I would layer guitars and bass using the Line 6 guitar port, then vocals. On the Frost Giant page here, tracks 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 were recorded that way. Tracks 2 and 3 we used the programmed drums but set up a live amp for the guitars and bass.

While we wait to buy more studio equipment so the actual band can re-record all those songs, I am writing new material using DKFH and my acoustic. I just program the drums and play along.
k-diddy
we run this city
4,283 Posts
36/M/DE

offline   (6)
August 26 2010 8:07 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I usually memorize it if it doesn't stick with me then it wasn't good to begin with..record videos and youtube it for people if they missed practice just to keep em up to speed and all.
and Where are all the damn BASS players at?
RazorRamon
15,260 Posts
33/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 28 2010 9:15 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
lol i gotta get up with you soon man. well make it happen
forum Musicians' Forum ›› dudes/chicks in bands ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: dudes/chicks in bands

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics