forum Politics and Society ›› Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel' ›› new reply Post Reply
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,181 Posts
41/M/PA

online   (1)
January 17 2011 1:33 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Sharplimbed

calling for restraint and responsibility is not calling for censorship. acknowledging that the rhetoric of a good chunk of the right-wing is dangerous and irresponsible is not calling for censorship.

i'm not really sure what you're getting at.

you cannot "blame" the people using this rhetoric for the actions of the more extreme lot that they pander to, but you can and should be aware that their rhetoric contributed to those actions. again, regardless of this shooting being linked in any way to rhetoric (it really doesn't matter imo), using violent rhetoric to pander to angry and irrational and paranoid and armed people (which is EXACTLY what is happening, no argument) is massively irresponsible and the people doing it should be condemned by all politicians, the media, and decent citizens.

i'm not sure why anyone wants to defend it, other than as a kneejerk reaction when people place perhaps too much "blame" for this single instance on those spewing it.

and people have called for restraint have they not? I never said restraint is censorship. Since this happened people have been calling for restraint (which they should if that is what they believe) just turn on the news and you will people speaking out against Palin and that poster....again i have no problem with that. I just do not think she or her Tea Party buddies should be shut down forcefully.

so what do you believe the next step should be?
aboutleaving
stainin
20,639 Posts
30/M/NA

offline   (1)
January 17 2011 1:49 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I'm not proposing much of anything. I'm simply responding to people claiming that the violent rhetoric is running both ways. It isn't, it's running one way, and it's symptomatic of a huge problem you have in politics, just as is the fact that sarah palin is considered by a significant amount of people a viable candidate for president.

If we all agree that the types of rhetoric being used by that part of the right is dangerous and irresponsible, there's not much to argue about. As to how to stop it, I'm not sure. I think even if you knew every single bit of information about american politics and psychology like the back of your hand (and I definitely don't), stopping an entire wing of the republican party and fox news spouting this bullshit seems virtually impossible, does it not?
sidney
MMM..Johnny Cakes
31,181 Posts
41/M/PA

online  mobile reply   (1)
January 17 2011 3:10 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Yes it would be impossible.
LastOnePicked
in all my unglory
14,470 Posts
39/M/PA

offline   (4)
January 17 2011 3:13 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Well...the reasonable republicans could stop making excuses for the lunatics in their party and stop voting for them.

that'd be a start. once they stop winning elections, the strategy will change.
crunkmoose
Fuck Nazis.
24,510 Posts
60/M/MA

offline   (9)
January 17 2011 6:53 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: LastOnePicked

Well...the reasonable republicans could stop making excuses for the lunatics in their party and stop voting for them.

Russhington D.C.
swallows loads
116 Posts
20/F/NA

August 16 2017 5:02 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: crunkmoose

Originally posted by: LastOnePicked

forum Politics and Society ›› Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel' ›› new reply Post Reply

Quick Reply - RE: Sarah Palin: 'Blood Libel'

Connect with Facebook to comment: Login w/FB

or Sign up free! - or login:

Subject

wrap selection with italics
wrap selection with bold
insert less than symbol
insert greater than symbol

google image Insert Google Images
Share a Band

Your ad here?