forum Hardcore/Metalcore ›› Christianity vs. Straight Edge : Conflicting Ideologies? ›› new topic Topic Closed
xbigbadwolfx

Time Husk
1 Posts
23/F/NA

August 22 2011 10:52 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
I am both christian and straight edge, and although possessing conflicting ideologies, they both play a huge role in my life. What I find conflicting, however, is the subject of forgiveness. All throughout the Bible, forgiveness is mentioned. Some verses, to name but a few, are as follows:

Colossians 3:13 reads, "Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."
Matthew 18:21-22, "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.""
Luke 6:37, "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Matthew 6:14-16. "For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

So clearly, if we are following the Bible, whether or not an individual wishes to forgive another is up to him/her, although it is clearly in our best interest and is rewarded by the Lord forgiving our own grievances.

However, in straight edge, we come across a ridiculously different view point. As most of us know, claiming edge is making a lifelong commitment to better oneself by abstaining from drugs, alcohol, and in most cases, promiscuous sex. By breaking edge, you taint the X that others hold so sacred (one might compare the straight edge "X" to the Christian's crucifix). Needless to say, it's a big deal. And, needless to say, most people aren't very forgiving. Ah, there's that word again... Straight edge band Earth Crisis share their opinion on people who break edge in the song "Forgiveness Denied". If the title isn't self-explanatory, I'll post the lyrics:

Forgiveness denied for the unforgiveable. Blood for blood.
The guilty must be slain. Violated,
dehumanized for a sadist freakish thrill.
Demonic evil incarnate an emissary of suffering.
Reveled in their helpless anguish again and again.
A string of shattered victims left in the wake of his sickness.
Emerge from the horror to bring it to its
end. Justice for the victim, justice for the victim.
The hammer hits, powder ignites, forgiveness denied.
Emerge from the horror to bring it to its end.

So... he doesn't take to kindly to those who break edge. And although Crisis is one of the more militant bands out there, this is one opinion that is shared pretty much across the board. Once you break edge, once you go back on your promise to yourself, there's no going back. If you're not edge now, then you never were. So how does one who calls themselves both a Christian and straight edge balance one lifestyle of practicing forgiveness for those who have wronged them with another of refusing forgiveness?

I am open to all answers, but PLEASE refrain from insulting both my beliefs and my lifestyle... I don't care if you disagree, but anonymous internet hate is probably the easiest way to say, "I don't have the least bit of courage."
Walktheblock
I Saw The Apeman
4,203 Posts
25/M/PA

offline   (3)
August 22 2011 10:54 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Smoke dust. Hail Satan. Live forever
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,216 Posts
33/M/MD

offline     (6)
August 22 2011 10:56 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
199,516 Posts
35/M/PA

online     (23)
August 22 2011 10:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
same
kyle_n
cumb0ner
13,960 Posts
27/M/PA

online  mobile reply     (5)
August 22 2011 10:57 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Cum huisk
c-wizard
C-Wizard
4,191 Posts
27/M/OH

offline   (9)
August 22 2011 10:59 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Seriously? I'm not edge or Christian but I'd venture a guess that the things you find to be conflicting in no way represent the edge movement as a whole or even the majority of those who claim it.

/dumb thread.
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,216 Posts
33/M/MD

offline     (6)
August 22 2011 11:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: cbrickhouse

Walktheblock
I Saw The Apeman
4,203 Posts
25/M/PA

offline   (3)
August 22 2011 11:00 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
HOMER IS DEAD
Maryland Matt
still oh so ill
8,216 Posts
33/M/MD

offline     (6)
August 22 2011 11:05 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: kyle_n

cbrickhouse
vanilla gorilla
199,516 Posts
35/M/PA

online     (23)
August 22 2011 11:16 PM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: Walktheblock

JAYSUS IS DEAD

XWHISKEYX
NoCareEver
36,703 Posts
63/M/NA

offline  mobile reply   (22)
August 22 2011 11:17 PM   QuickQuote Quote  

Originally posted by: Walktheblock

JAYSUS IS SAVES

Dianana
8====D
59,066 Posts
31/F/PA

offline   (7)
August 23 2011 10:09 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
Originally posted by: xbigbadwolfx

(one might compare the straight edge "X" to the Christian's crucifix).

LOL.

Originally posted by: Maryland Matt

Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,131 Posts
30/F/PA

offline   (14)
August 23 2011 10:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
RazorRamon
14,704 Posts
28/M/PA

offline   (15)
August 23 2011 10:13 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
OH HEY LOOK A THREAD.
Yodel Toast
que te follen
20,131 Posts
30/F/PA

offline   (14)
August 23 2011 10:14 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
GTR Zine

Also, read GTR 7.5 there's a great article about breaking edge in there.
riggard
I AM COME
6,199 Posts
27/M/PA

offline   (7)
August 23 2011 10:38 AM   QuickQuote Quote  
EDGE TILL 21
forum Hardcore/Metalcore ›› Christianity vs. Straight Edge : Conflicting Ideol... ›› new topic Topic Closed